MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The rest of the teams" being the Seahawks and Sounders? There's no Seattle NHL team, and the SuperSonics never had navy blue in their color scheme. Personally, I like the Mariners' navy, teal, and silver better than the other Seattle teams' schemes, but I admit the execution on the uniforms has often left a bit to be desired...they're too...conservative, for lack of a better word. Staid. It was especially bad when they dropped the teal alternate and added a BFBS one. Now, I wish they'd wear the teal more often, but I also wish they'd give their set more panache in general.

I think you are mistaking the navy jersey for black. I love the navy and teal jerseys but the regular grey and white ones are a bit boring. I know the trend is fading, but maybe it's time to go back to sleeveless jerseys like they had in the past. Maybe even the navy hat with the grey bill that they wore with it.

No, the Mariners had a BFBS jersey in the early-to-mid aughts. For some reason the site doesn't show it, but I can recall seeing it more than once on TV. Their current navy jerseys look pretty good, as do the teal ones, I agree with that. I just think maybe some more flair would be appropriate, especially on the teal. The white and grey unis are a bit dull too, like you said.
It was midnight navy, like the new Indians alternate. Looked black next to their lighter navy caps and such, but it was the same dark navy the Astros used in the 90's.

Yup, definitely midnight navy

77115_01_lg.jpg

^ No. They're not talking about that one. The Mariners had a different alt circa 2000. I believe it was only worn on the road. Seattle wordmark with silver placket piping. It was much darker than the navy jersey pictures. In daylight or night time, this thing looked black. I don't think anyone who has seen an authentic up close has addressed whether or not they were black. And considering that was at the height of BFBS, I wouldn't be surprised if the jersey actually was meant to be black. Here's a pic I found. The jersey sure looks darker than the navy outline on the wordmark.

78254_01_lg.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If that jersey isn't black then neither is Wesley snipes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Damn, I just hate that sort of piping on baseball uniforms. I know that's a strange opinion since it's a feature on the jerseys of so many MLB teams, but that piping that goes up the center loops and around the neck looks so clunky and cartoony to me. Plus, it intersects the wordmark in an awkward way that just bugs the hell out of me. For example, the silver piping on that Seattle jersey creates a tangent with the A and the first T in "Seattle" and it just ruins the whole thing for me. I hate it. The Dodgers away uniform, as an example that immediately comes to mind, improved exponentially when they simply removed the blue piping and the white stroke around the Los Angeles lettering.

Baseball shirts with piping look so inelegant compared to other designs. There's my unpopular opinion of the day.

kGFTWyb.png

Damn, I just hate that sort of piping on baseball uniforms. I know that's a strange opinion since it's a feature on the jerseys of so many MLB teams, but that piping that goes up the center loops and around the neck looks so clunky and cartoony to me. Plus, it intersects the wordmark in an awkward way that just bugs the hell out of me. For example, the silver piping on that Seattle jersey creates a tangent with the A and the first T in "Seattle" and it just ruins the whole thing for me. I hate it. The Dodgers away uniform, as an example that immediately comes to mind, improved exponentially when they simply removed the blue piping and the white stroke around the Los Angeles lettering.

Baseball shirts with piping look so inelegant compared to other designs. There's my unpopular opinion of the day.

I don't think that's too unpopular of an opionion, but I think that like everything, it needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

For example - while I typically think of thick multi-striped placket piping looks like cheap fasion jerseys, I think it looks great on the Braves.

Other than that, I typically dislike the headspoon look unless the team has only a chest insignia - like the Tigers, and like the old A's. I think a chest insignia requires either piping (preferably) or pinstripes to work..

Now look at SF for example - when they added the piping it really damaged their look. They took a clean classic look and made it busy and distracting.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Seattle jersey has to be something most never even knew existed. I honestly had never seen it until that post. It's a gem yet it's also horrible as why would the Ms need to go BFBS, by that stage they were already a dark, possibly too dark, colored team and with navy black is pretty redundant.

The piping would be fine if the Seattle wordmark didn't already have it's issues. The piping emphasizes the problems with the wordmark and it clearly looks to read as SEA TTLE. It actually reads as a two part city like St Louis and San Diego, as if they were the Sea Ttle Mariners.

If the wordmark is gonna be separated between the A and the first T, you kinda need to kill off the connections between the EA and the TT.

I never really thought the other Mariners' navy alts were mismatched to their hats. Either way, the "Astros navy" jerseys were way, way darker than their caps. Those pictures don't do them justice. No matter what light they were in, they looked damn near close to black.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Just a random thought, not a change, but it seems like the Marlins have already worn the gray road jerseys more than they did all of last year

Correct. They didn't wear their gray jerseys during the regular season last year.

OK, how about the last two years? :P

Just a random thought, not a change, but it seems like the Marlins have already worn the gray road jerseys more than they did all of last year

Correct. They didn't wear their gray jerseys during the regular season last year.

Lol I think ur right there too. Last year it was only worn by Stanton during the All Star Game and in 2013 it was never worn except for one of those Memorial Day Camo Days where they wore it but with camo print in the wordmark. So yeah, not since 2012 was it worn in a regular season game.

Lol I think ur right there too. Last year it was only worn by Stanton during the All Star Game and in 2013 it was never worn except for one of those Memorial Day Camo Days where they wore it but with camo print in the wordmark. So yeah, not since 2012 was it worn in a regular season game.

From out lovely site here, Miami hasnt worn anything BESIDES grey on the road this year. Which I wasnt expecting at all.

With the way Miami has been, i was expecting maybe 1-2 games a series max, or at least the black to have been on the road already this year.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived