MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

The new protective cap that Alex Torres will be wearing starting today:

CC5eNZ9W0AEy6rQ.jpg

Is that literally a regular cap with a protective wrapping around it? Judging by the tiny logo seemingly popping out behind the front padding it sure looks that way.

Yup that's exactly it

Go A's!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Angels and Astros are both wearing throwbacks for the Astros anniversary. The Astros have announced it as a throwback to their original Astros set from 1965. However the Angels are throwing back to 1964 and 1965 because they're wearing the (1964)"LA" hats with the original (1965) California jersey.

https://twitter.com/Angels/status/589549538341326848

Untitled_zpsgdiaawwy.png

IbjBaeE.png

"The rest of the teams" being the Seahawks and Sounders? There's no Seattle NHL team, and the SuperSonics never had navy blue in their color scheme. Personally, I like the Mariners' navy, teal, and silver better than the other Seattle teams' schemes, but I admit the execution on the uniforms has often left a bit to be desired...they're too...conservative, for lack of a better word. Staid. It was especially bad when they dropped the teal alternate and added a BFBS one. Now, I wish they'd wear the teal more often, but I also wish they'd give their set more panache in general.

I think you are mistaking the navy jersey for black. I love the navy and teal jerseys but the regular grey and white ones are a bit boring. I know the trend is fading, but maybe it's time to go back to sleeveless jerseys like they had in the past. Maybe even the navy hat with the grey bill that they wore with it.

17+Fiest+Bowl_sig.png

Hopefully it will look better than last year's model. Why not just wear a flapless batting helmet, like the base coaches do?

CAPSsilo-master315.jpg

First base coaches don't have to wind up and throw a baseball at 98 mph. You'd need a chinstrap on those flapless helmets.

I would choose the chinstrap...or a shoestring...or a piece of fishing twine...or anything.

CAPSsilo-master315.jpg

Even months later, it's pretty much impossible for me to look at this picture without cracking smile or even laughing out loud. It's just so hard to take a picture of a pitcher with an intimidating look on his face (I know that me might have not been trying to look intimidating - but he looks that way to me) and that thing on his head seriously.

If I were an MLB batter, I don't know how I would be able to keep a straight face while trying to hit off of him. That would probably be almost a bigger challenge for me than actually trying to hit his pitches.

I wish someone would make that his Wikipedia picture.

Hopefully it will look better than last year's model. Why not just wear a flapless batting helmet, like the base coaches do?

CAPSsilo-master315.jpg

First base coaches don't have to wind up and throw a baseball at 98 mph. You'd need a chinstrap on those flapless helmets.

I would choose the chinstrap...or a shoestring...or a piece of fishing twine...or anything.

After I initially replied last night, I ran across this article today. Apparently these kids are pitching in batting helmets with no problem. I'm not convinced it wouldn't work. If you get just the right fit on those, they're pretty snug.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-headinjuries052710

1274934975.jpg

David Price did this as a joke, but I think I'd do this (in an actual game) before I'd wear that contraption Torres is sporting.

price_pitch.jpg

CAPSsilo-master315.jpg

The Mario brothers called, they want their hats back.

ha. ha. ha. haven't heard that one before.

Currently playing in their first road Saturday game of the season, BAL is not wearing their orange alternate. I wonder if this means they are restricting their orange alternate use to only home Saturday games.

Personally I would have liked to have seen them continue to wear it on the road for Saturday games. It's a great alternate that mixes things up, and it does not look bad with gray pants and the black-crowned cap/helmet. Usually I tire of alternate jerseys pretty quickly, but that has not happened with O's alternate jerseys, and that is basically because BAL has been terrific about not overwearing alternates - they only wear their alternate jerseys on Fridays (black, both home and road) and Saturdays (orange, and apparently now only at home).

Of course, if it was an issue of having to bring too many jerseys on the road (since they already wear their black alternates on the road), I can understand why they might put a stop to wearing orange on the road.

I honestly wouldnt mind making orange the home friday alt, and wear black exclusively on the road.

that said, I agree with the rest of your post, orioles(besides the red sox, funnily enough and some others im sure) are great in this regard.

I dont even get made when i see the O's wear them(unlike say, the pirates)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Currently playing in their first road Saturday game of the season, BAL is not wearing their orange alternate. I wonder if this means they are restricting their orange alternate use to only home Saturday games.

Personally I would have liked to have seen them continue to wear it on the road for Saturday games. It's a great alternate that mixes things up, and it does not look bad with gray pants and the black-crowned cap/helmet. Usually I tire of alternate jerseys pretty quickly, but that has not happened with O's alternate jerseys, and that is basically because BAL has been terrific about not overwearing alternates - they only wear their alternate jerseys on Fridays (black, both home and road) and Saturdays (orange, and apparently now only at home).

Of course, if it was an issue of having to bring too many jerseys on the road (since they already wear their black alternates on the road), I can understand why they might put a stop to wearing orange on the road.

I honestly wouldnt mind making orange the home friday alt, and wear black exclusively on the road.

that said, I agree with the rest of your post, orioles(besides the red sox, funnily enough and some others im sure) are great in this regard.

I dont even get made when i see the O's wear them(unlike say, the pirates)

The Pirates don't abuse alternates. They have their Sunday home throwback and sparingly wear their alternate gray and alternate white jerseys ;)

KISSwall09.jpg

Red Sox wearing these again today on Marathon Monday/Patriots Day. They wore them the first home game after the Marathon bombings took place in 2013 and on Patriots Day/Marathon Monday last year.

CDB_vbvWMAAFNHO.jpg

Picture via the Red Sox equipment mgr.

"The rest of the teams" being the Seahawks and Sounders? There's no Seattle NHL team, and the SuperSonics never had navy blue in their color scheme. Personally, I like the Mariners' navy, teal, and silver better than the other Seattle teams' schemes, but I admit the execution on the uniforms has often left a bit to be desired...they're too...conservative, for lack of a better word. Staid. It was especially bad when they dropped the teal alternate and added a BFBS one. Now, I wish they'd wear the teal more often, but I also wish they'd give their set more panache in general.

I think you are mistaking the navy jersey for black. I love the navy and teal jerseys but the regular grey and white ones are a bit boring. I know the trend is fading, but maybe it's time to go back to sleeveless jerseys like they had in the past. Maybe even the navy hat with the grey bill that they wore with it.

No, the Mariners had a BFBS jersey in the early-to-mid aughts. For some reason the site doesn't show it, but I can recall seeing it more than once on TV. Their current navy jerseys look pretty good, as do the teal ones, I agree with that. I just think maybe some more flair would be appropriate, especially on the teal. The white and grey unis are a bit dull too, like you said.

No, the Mariners had a BFBS jersey in the early-to-mid aughts. For some reason the site doesn't show it, but I can recall seeing it more than once on TV. Their current navy jerseys look pretty good, as do the teal ones, I agree with that. I just think maybe some more flair would be appropriate, especially on the teal. The white and grey unis are a bit dull too, like you said.
It was midnight navy, like the new Indians alternate. Looked black next to their lighter navy caps and such, but it was the same dark navy the Astros used in the 90's.

Archived