Well there is some rumblings going on in F1. I think this is about done...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120532

Renault is poised to return as a works team to Formula 1, with a deal to take a majority stake in Lotus due to be finalised next week, AUTOSPORT understands.

The agreement would end months of protracted negotiations and bring a factory Renault operation back onto the F1 grid for the first time since 2010.

AUTOSPORT sources have indicated the French car manufacturer would take a stake up to 65 per cent, worth a total of £65million, with an initial downpayment of £7.5million to be followed by equal instalments over the following 10 years.

Gerard Lopez, currently Lotus F1 team co-owner via his Genii organisation, looks set to remain as a shareholder with a potential stake of around 25 per cent, with four-time champion and Renault ambassador Alain Prost acquiring the remaining 10 per cent.

The arrangement with Lopez and Prost would be very similar to that at Mercedes where motorsport boss Toto Wolff and non-executive chairman Niki Lauda possess shareholdings in the F1 team.

At this stage in proceedings Renault is understood to have negotiated a full sponsorship package, with the board - spearheaded by CEO Carlos Ghosn - signing off on a budget that would put it on a par with the likes of Mercedes and Red Bull.

Although Renault, through Prost, has also held tentative talks with Force India about a potential shareholding, the Silverstone-based marque's relative lack of facilities is a drawback.

Renault has no real wish to acquire a team without the infrastructure behind it, though Force India remains an option should the Lotus shareholders pull out of the deal at the last minute.

Hopefully this means Maldonado is on the way out... Renault can find talent if need be but they'll need to start soon.

Finally IndyCar did a drive on the Golden Gate Bridge for the finale, it was turned into a makeshift memorial for Justin Wilson... On a sidenote, its good to see Mayor Hinch back in a car.

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Results from Sonoma:

1. Dixon

2. Hunter-Reay

3. Kimball

4. Kanaan

5. Briscoe

6. Montoya

7. Power

8. Sato

9. Gonzalez

10. Aleshin

Dixon came out of nowhere to win not only the race but the IndyCar championship as well! Montoya lead the series all year until today, he gave it all he could give but it wasn't enough. Rahal fell at the last minute as well. Dixon truly earned the championship today. It was a great way to end the season. I think Justin Wilson is smiling up in heaven with Dan Wheldon. Thus we conclude the IndyCar season until next year.

baltimoreravens.png

I honestly thought it was an error when I heard them say something like '...for this the final race of the year' during the intro.

I guess that's what happens when football & playoff baseball take over the universe.

A consulting group convinced indycar's bosses that it's ratings would suffer if they held races during football season so they have had their season end before NFL season the past 2 years. It should be noted that a tape delay tudor sports car race following an nfl game shattered any indycar race's ratings from last year.

I honestly thought it was an error when I heard them say something like '...for this the final race of the year' during the intro.

I guess that's what happens when football & playoff baseball take over the universe.

A consulting group convinced indycar's bosses that it's ratings would suffer if they held races during football season so they have had their season end before NFL season the past 2 years. It should be noted that a tape delay tudor sports car race following an nfl game shattered any indycar race's ratings from last year.

Not hard, even in this supposedly "resurgent" year, IndyCar is suffering. My old man works with them at Sonoma Raceway and he said indications around the track aren't good. Financially they've been struggling for years, but the spate of deaths and heavy injuries in recent years, and particularly this year with several very popular drivers being cut down or killed has been adding up. I'll give IndyCar credit for putting on the brave face, and the bad publicity has given them a spike this year, but they're still in deep trouble.

Not hard, even in this supposedly "resurgent" year, IndyCar is suffering. My old man works with them at Sonoma Raceway and he said indications around the track aren't good. Financially they've been struggling for years, but the spate of deaths and heavy injuries in recent years, and particularly this year with several very popular drivers being cut down or killed has been adding up. I'll give IndyCar credit for putting on the brave face, and the bad publicity has given them a spike this year, but they're still in deep trouble.

I don't think open wheel racing in North America has ever really been on firm ground, especially since the CART-IRL split. They will always play second fiddle to NASCAR for fans and sponsorship, and even sports car racing gives them a run for their money.

I mean, TV ratings are the highest they’ve been in years.

But we have to put resurgent in quotes? Alright then.

6fQjS3M.png

If IndyCar could somehow drive a few southern hemisphere races during the later winter, after the NFL playoffs + before March Madness, they might be able to tap into some N.American tv ratings yes? PGA does pretty alright with their Florida swing stuff & I personally only tune in every week cuz I'm looking for fresh sports.

I dunno, I'd have to think South America, Australia, Southeast Asia would be glad to host a few IndyCar races.

I don't think open wheel racing in North America has ever really been on firm ground, especially since the CART-IRL split. They will always play second fiddle to NASCAR for fans and sponsorship, and even sports car racing gives them a run for their money.

This will be unpopular, & I may have previously mentioned, yet I think the Indianapolis window is too large. There should be bunched up races in a row immediately prior to & following the Indy 500 while the names & exposure is greatest yes?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

If IndyCar could somehow drive a few southern hemisphere races during the later winter, after the NFL playoffs + before March Madness, they might be able to tap into some N.American tv ratings yes? PGA does pretty alright with their Florida swing stuff & I personally only tune in every week cuz I'm looking for fresh sports.

I dunno, I'd have to think South America, Australia, Southeast Asia would be glad to host a few IndyCar races.

This will be unpopular, & I may have previously mentioned, yet I think the Indianapolis window is too large. There should be bunched up races in a row immediately prior to & following the Indy 500 while the names & exposure is greatest yes?

I mean, they have the Grand Prix two weekends before the 500 now, and with qualifications, the series is on TV for the two weekends before Indy.

They raced the next, like, 4 or 5 weekends after Indy this week too.

I know there were rumblings about going back to Mexico City to open the season, though I’m not sure if that stuff’s fallen through. Obviously, we were supposed to be in Brasilia this year, but that fell through, and I’d love to see Colombia and Australia happen early in the season.

6fQjS3M.png

Well, I wanted to wait to hear about what happened before the ruling was given & it seems we have it

Results from the Italian Grand Prix

1.Hamliton

2. Vettel

3. Massa

4. Bottas

5. Raikkonen

6. Perez

7. Hulkenberg

8. Ricciardo

9. Ericcson

10. Kvyat

Lewis does it again, but there was huge controversy when it came to tire pressure. I almost thought that his win was going to be stripped, but it wasn't. Rosberg along with Alonso & both Lotus cars had a really rough day. The European leg is done, next up is Singapore.

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping for some rumblings in F1....

- Renault will pull out of engine supplying but could buy Lotus & become a factory team

- Red Bull is rumored to be powered by Ferrari as Mercedes has said no

- Alexander Rossi will debut for Manor in Singapore, driving #53

- The rumored drivers for Formula Haas: Roman Grosjean, Jean Eric-Vergne, Kevin Magnussen

- Button could be on his way out, says McLaren or bust!

baltimoreravens.png

Well this race just has everything doesn't it?

You could say that again....

Results from Singapore

1.Vettel

2. Ricciardo

3. Raikkonen

4. Rosberg

5. Bottas

6. Kvyat

7. Perez

8. Versattpen

9. Sainz Jr.

10. Nasr

Vettel & Singapore just seem to go together. He's just fantastic at this track. However for Lewis, the woes continue. With the win, Vettel has now surrpassed Aryton Senna in GP wins. On a side note, American Alexander Rossi finished 14th & ahead of his teammate. Truly an impressive start .

It also looks like the VW/Red Bull rumor isn't the only thing that came back up, now Alonso is rumored to be linked to Red Bull if they get Ferrari engines...

Next up, Japan.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for some news that may not be shocking but in all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/09/22/button-totally-i-have-made-that-decision/

Multiple British newspapers on Monday claimed F1’s veteran of 16 consecutive seasons is preparing to announce his retirement this weekend in Japan.

Sadly its time for Jenson to call it a career & it sucks considering he's one of my favorite drivers. Although, I think he'll end up like Webber & go Endurance racing & I'm sure he will do excellent in it!

Now for the elephant in the room, since we heard about the Volkswagen dieselgate, I think we can basically say that unless by some reason they can avoid this, you can forget them saving RedBull. They're going to be paying billions for this mess, & I don't think they'll joining any other motorsports until then & I would honestly be surprised if they do join any right now or in the near future.

Then again I have been wrong, but this time, I doubt it.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for results from the Japanese Grand Prix

1. Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Vettel

4. Räikkönen

5. Bottas

6. Hulkenberg

7. Grosjean

8. Maldonado

9. Versatppen

10. Sainz Jr.

A dominant performance from The Silver Arrows, a down day for Red Bull. Alonso wasn't too thrilled with his car calling it a GP2 engine. I was kind of shocked not to see Red Bull in the top 10 but considering what has gone on this whole season... Who knows if they'll be back if they can't get an engine deal.

Next up, Russia

baltimoreravens.png

Archived