NE Revolution Crest Concept (Update)

mattb6

So I'm working on an MLS series, and I'm having some trouble on the Revs. Here's what I have so far-zXASOPb.png
To point out the obvious things- 13 stripes, 13 stars both taken from the Betsy Ross flag. The tree in the middle is taken from the flag of New England itself. The subliamated 'X" going through the middle represents a American Revolution soldier uniform. 1996 is the year of their founding, and of course the team name "New England Revolution".

Problems I'm having-
Did I work the tree in well? I wanted it to be the main focal point of the crest, hence why it's in the middle surrounded by all of the other elements.

Does the cross and stars remind anyone of the Confederate battle flag? I know I'm probablly being paranoid, but I noticed it and it just keeps bugging me.

Any elements I should ditch? I'm not so sure about keeping the thirteen stars. I feel it crowds the middle too much, but does help bring focus to the tree. I had a version without the stars, but the inside felt kind of empty.

Thanks in advance for any C&C!

EDIT- After looking it over again, I noticed the stars seem to be off center. I'll fix that in the next update.

spacer.png

I do think you did a good job. You stuck with Blue, White, and Red, and you din't make it Green, White, and Red, so that's an improvement (hate those new kits). You also incorporated the tree, but you didn't make it too big where people might think that green is a main color. Good job.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Too much symbolism makes for a cluttered logo. Why 13 stripes and 13 stars? And the X on top?

You don't need to fit everything into the logo. Combined with all the text, there's way too much going on.

You want the tree to be the focus, but aside from it being dead center, it's dominated by every other element. Shrink this down to a size smaller than your avatar. Can you read everything clearly? Does everything seem to have the same proportional dominance like the Columbus Crew SC logo, for example?

I'd pick one or two elements at most. If you decide to go with the tree from the New England flag, then adding "New England" in the circle is redundant. Maybe just have "Revolution" around the top half of the roundel, then "1996" centered at the bottom?

And ditch the Bucks font. It feels forced because it's a new font.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

really great, i like everything about it except for the cross, its really not needed and would be really hard to reproduce as a patch.

+1

Only thing preventing it from perfection. It doesn't look like it's part of the logo, rather a watermark of some kind. Overall, I think this looks great though. Nice work!

I have to agree with most of the people said. This is too crowded, and the bucks font isn`t a real good choice. Ditch the sublimate, it could appear in a jersey. If you want to reinforce red/blue, drop the green. It does not need be identical with the original concept of tree and X in military uniforms, the nice part of creating new things is not to stick to what already exists.

Too much symbolism makes for a cluttered logo. Why 13 stripes and 13 stars? And the X on top?

You don't need to fit everything into the logo. Combined with all the text, there's way too much going on.

You want the tree to be the focus, but aside from it being dead center, it's dominated by every other element. Shrink this down to a size smaller than your avatar. Can you read everything clearly? Does everything seem to have the same proportional dominance like the Columbus Crew SC logo, for example?

I'd pick one or two elements at most. If you decide to go with the tree from the New England flag, then adding "New England" in the circle is redundant. Maybe just have "Revolution" around the top half of the roundel, then "1996" centered at the bottom?

And ditch the Bucks font. It feels forced because it's a new font.

Yeah the bucks font is bland and boring.

SB%2001%2003%2004%2015_zpsuc4ldp3t.pngNBA%20All_zpsgzk5pipt.pngSC%2029%2039%2041%2070%2072%2011_zpspiuwWS%2003%2012%2015%2016%2018%2004%2007%20

Update:

fncLkUS.png

Changes:

-Ditched Block font for a smoother, more rounded typeface

-Sublimated 'X' is no more

-13 stars taken out (although I did tinker with stars in other places to no avail)

-New tree (not sure how I feel about it... Is it too basic?)

Did I fix (some) of the issues? Did I make it worse? Any and all C&C is great! Thanks in advance!

spacer.png

I think you have a great concept here. I don't know that the 1996 sits the best where it is.

- What if you tried removing the "19" and adding 3 stars in its place. Then do the same on the other side for the "96"
- Then maybe you could lose the tree altogether and just have like an "established 96" in the middle. 96 with a smaller "est" above it.
- You could also try using a slightly light blue. It will make the red pop more.
- What also might give it some dimension overall is taking the horizontal red stripes and rotating them 45 degrees. Then staggering them so it mimics an abstract waving flag. This is tough to explain without mocking up.

Those were just some thoughts I had when I first saw your concept. Great work.

spacer.png

Update:

fncLkUS.png

Changes:

-Ditched Block font for a smoother, more rounded typeface

-Sublimated 'X' is no more

-13 stars taken out (although I did tinker with stars in other places to no avail)

-New tree (not sure how I feel about it... Is it too basic?)

Did I fix (some) of the issues? Did I make it worse? Any and all C&C is great! Thanks in advance!

I personally would have just gotten rid of the sublimated X and changed the tree color possibly to blue...POSSIBLY

I think you have a great concept here. I don't know that the 1996 sits the best where it is.

- What if you tried removing the "19" and adding 3 stars in its place. Then do the same on the other side for the "96"

- Then maybe you could lose the tree altogether and just have like an "established 96" in the middle. 96 with a smaller "est" above it.

- You could also try using a slightly light blue. It will make the red pop more.

- What also might give it some dimension overall is taking the horizontal red stripes and rotating them 45 degrees. Then staggering them so it mimics an abstract waving flag. This is tough to explain without mocking up.

Those were just some thoughts I had when I first saw your concept. Great work.

Those are some pretty good ideas. I think I'll try some of those.

spacer.png

Archived