Same team, different league

nash61

what teams have been around as the same team name, but in a different league

Used to be common in MLB and the early NFL.

New York Giants

New York Yankees

Pittsburgh Pirates

Boston Braves

St. Louis Cardinals

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Washington Senators

Brooklyn Dodgers

Cincinatti Reds

Baltimore Orioles

Milwaukee Brewers

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Angels

Miami Marlins

:blink:

Orioles, yes. The old Western League. The Brewers moved from the AL to the NL back when they were still different leagues. But the Angels, Padres and Marlins, while named after earlier teams, are not those teams. They have each played in one league and one league only.

Ditto for any other MLB team founded after 1901, with the notable exception of the Brewers (and possibly the Astros, depending on your point of view).

I was working on the assumption that we weren't necessarily talking about the same franchise. That's why I included teams like the Angels, Padres and Marlins.

If we follow the "same team" rule, that also eliminates most of the soccer teams that I listed before.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Mississippi Riverkings: CHL>>>>>SPHL

To echo on the comment above about indoor football, I bet almost 100% of teams that have existed for more than a few years have played in multiple leagues.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

It has been mentioned that this is common in indoor football, but it was also quite common in minor league basketball as well.

The Halifax Windjammers, Hamilton Skyhawks & Winnipeg Thunder were in the old World Basketball League when it folded in 1992, the next year these teams were members of the new National Basketball League. That league would fold in 1994.

Similarly, the Halifax Rainmen, Quebec Kebs & Saint John Milrats were all members of the ABA, Premier Basketball League & National Basketball League of Canada. Only the Millrats still remain.

Idaho Steelheads WCHL ->ECHL

Alaska (fmr. Anchorage) Aces WCHL -> ECHL

last two surviving members of the West Coast Hockey league.

Um... the Bakersfield Condors are also a surviving uninterrupted WCHL team. Their lineage being WCHL->ECHL->AHL

And if you want to include them the Gulls could be considered the same with the obvious interruption.

Round Rock Express

AA Texas League, AAA PCL

Again, this may be semantics, but in actuality, they were two separate franchises/teams within the two leagues that simply shared the name "Round Rock Express".

The AA Texas League Express was the franchise moved from Jackson Mississippi in 2000, which then was moved to Corpus Christi and now plays in the Texas League as the Corpus Christi Hooks. The current AAA PCL Round Rock Express is the franchise that was the Edmonton Trappers in the PCL which was purchased by the Ryan group.

It is what it is.

This covers a huge chunk of North American soccer.

Without covering all of the history . . .

Seattle Sounders

Portland Timbers

Vancouver Whitecaps

Montreal Impact

New York Cosmos

Ft. Lauderdale Strikers

Tampa Bay Rowdies

Baltimore Blast -- MISL -- NPSL -- MISL II -- PASL

Dallas Sidekicks

San Diego Sockers

St. Louis Steamers

. . . I'm sure I've missed a few.

The original Strikers moved to Minnesota, replacing the Kicks, and played in the Metrodome for the 1984 season. The Minnesota Strikers then abandoned the sinking ship of the original NASL and moved to the MISL for a few seasons, playing at the Met Center and even making the finals once before folding in 1988.

CCSLC signature.png

Round Rock Express

AA Texas League, AAA PCL

Again, this may be semantics, but in actuality, they were two separate franchises/teams within the two leagues that simply shared the name "Round Rock Express".

The AA Texas League Express was the franchise moved from Jackson Mississippi in 2000, which then was moved to Corpus Christi and now plays in the Texas League as the Corpus Christi Hooks. The current AAA PCL Round Rock Express is the franchise that was the Edmonton Trappers in the PCL which was purchased by the Ryan group.

Yeah, I can't in good conscience count this, or the Carolina Mudcats (who went from AA to A ball) and Durham Bulls (who went from A to AAA) would count; but in both cases, it wasn't a league change with existing personnel, but a relinquishing of the franchise in the former league and acquisition of one in the new under the same name.

nav-logo.png

Round Rock Express

AA Texas League, AAA PCL

Yeah, I can't in good conscience count this, or the Carolina Mudcats (who went from AA to A ball) and Durham Bulls (who went from A to AAA) would count; but in both cases, it wasn't a league change with existing personnel, but a relinquishing of the franchise in the former league and acquisition of one in the new under the same name.

Same with Charlotte Knights (AA -> AAA) or any other MiLB change, really. Front office usually stays the same, obviously players and on-field personnel change.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

In 1997, seven ex-Australian Rugby League teams competed in the one and only "Super League" competition:

Auckland Warriors

Brisbane Broncos

Canberra Raiders

Canterbury Bulldogs

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

North Queensland Cowboys

Penrith Panthers

Now it gets confusing - with Super League folding after 1997, these clubs returned to the "establishment" competition, which had been renamed as the National Rugby League competition for 1998, instead of the Australian Rugby League. So technically every team played in two different competitions in consecutive years - ARL/Super League in 1997, and NRL in 1998.

A similar situation occurred in Australian rules when the 14 teams of the Victorian Football League in 1989 played in the renamed Australian Football League in 1990.

Archived