2016 MLS Jerseys

labc93

In a sport where stars==championships

*sigh*

Don't make me post many, many crests (especially national teams) that include stars that have nothing to do with titles. Let's all just stop saying that.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a sport where stars==championships

*sigh*

Don't make me post many, many crests (especially national teams) that include stars that have nothing to do with titles. Let's all just stop saying that.

I welcome you to post every single one and I'll say the same thing about them all.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

In a sport where stars==championships, I just can't get on board with the stars, even if it's a direct lift from their flag. D.C. United has won 4 MLS Cups, the most of any team until 2014, and they should be proud of that, but now if they want to do anything with that they'll have 7 stars in and around their logo.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for FIFA to introduce a proprietary star for championships. I dont know if that means unique stars for world cups, league championships, Champions League, etc... It could get messy. But one FIFA star that was unique to the sport could alleviate some of the problems when five pointed stars are common in other national/governmental designs.

In most of examples stars outside crest means league championship/World Cup/Continental Champs (If I know that is using only in Africa). Stars inside crest means everything else (Except Uruguay, because their 4 stars means 2 WC and 2 Olympics Champs which FIFA recognized as a unofficial World Champs).

About stars for league champs almost every league had their own standards to giving stars. For example Premier League/Ligue 1 hadn't stars for champs, Serie A - 1 star for every 10 champs, Ekstraklasa - white star 1-5 champs, silver 5-10 champs, golden 10+ champs, MLS - 1 star for every champs. etc, etc It's very simple, so I don't understand why you argue.

4r2eer.png

Italy also brought their stars inside: http://cs307602.vk.me/v307602583/6a59/OD2sMZykiIc.jpg

Also, until now, I hadn't noticed the chunkiness of those stars.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

How much longer is the Adidas uniform deal with MLS? I'm beyond ready for the league to ditch the stripes.

Adidas has so much invested in the league to this point that it's difficult to imagine anyone else taking over that contract. Unless Nike/Puma/Under Armour see a likelihood for worldwide growth that I'm not seeing.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

So you'll keep repeating your point no matter how much evidence posted to refute it? Ho-kay.

How would it be refuted? All the teams that aren't in line don't erase the existence of the teams that have a mutual understanding that their stars refer to how many championships they have.

And as long as those teams exist, any team that uses a star in a different way creates unnecessary ambiguity in their design. Your average person who looks at their logo will be confused, and this doesn't need to happen, especially for teams recently rebranding like D.C. United.

This star thing is unique in pro sports to soccer, especially in the U.S., and so it's understandable why so many U.S. teams (including the NT) have star-related missteps, and why so many Americans on this board are quick to defend them. Other U.S. pro sports don't have to worry about how they use stars in their logos, so there's an established tradition that they can be used however.

This wasn't a problem when each particular national or even continental scene was basically isolated, but since the globalization of soccer c. the João Havelange era (with global TV contracts for the World Cup and increasingly international TV contracts for certain domestic leagues) it's become a real issue. Everyone is now viewed in relation to everyone else, as opposed to their specific traditions within their own country/continent.

As the game becomes increasingly globalized, this semantic ambiguity will get standardized out; I'm not worried about that. With teams such as Uruguay and now Italy incorporating the stars within their everyday application logo--as opposed to just the jersey application--it will become too visible of an issue for everyone to blissfully ignore.

For teams like Red Star FC in Paris and Red Star Belgrade, there's no ambiguity as to what their single red star means, so that's fine. Ghana is the same situation, since their team is known as the Black Stars. But for a team like D.C. United, an allusion to the Washington flag isn't enough and seems like a lazy European-inspired "royal family" idea. Same with the USMNT trying to allude to the 50 stars by a seemingly random number of them in any given logo iteration: either use 50 or come up with a different way to represent the USA.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

So you'll keep repeating your point no matter how much evidence posted to refute it? Ho-kay.

How would it be refuted? All the teams that aren't in line don't erase the existence of the teams that have a mutual understanding that their stars refer to how many championships they have.

...and then you go on to list a bunch of examples where the star doesn't actually mean that. :P

Not to worry about the US - they're finally dropping that awful crest in favor of one with "USA" where the stars are.

There's nothing wrong with stars on the crest if they're a symbol of the team.

The thing that bugs me more is cheapening the championship stars. A star for three consecutive titles is silly, and a star for every title in competitions that happen every year will make crest needlessly busy quick.

Just do 1 star for a WC win and then the Serie A system works the best, it really is an accomplishment to have the stars, one that rewards teams that have been consistently great.

And, yeah, championship stars should always be outside the crest

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived