DG_Now

The Sports Media Thread

Recommended Posts

On 08/01/2018 at 2:48 AM, neo_prankster said:

 

Assuming the Disney purchase of 20th Century Fox is a done deal, it would be nice to have localized editions of Sports Center on most of the former Baby Foxes. Or perhaps the regional channels that carry MLB teams can integrate the Baseball Tonight music, and maybe bring back the National Hockey Night theme for NHL broadcasts.

Sure. And one correction: I would rename ESPN Sun into ESPN 2 Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite KJ story: way back when on MNF, Dennis Miller made a reference to Keith Jackson. Dan Fouts chimes in with a "whoa nellie". Miller replies "actually I was talking about the former Eagles tight end".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Costas is nowhere to be found on NBC’s Super Bowl press release, this coming after he said publicly that football destroys people’s brains at the University of Maryland. He’d said previously this would be his last Super Bowl. 🤔

 

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/01/22/did-nbc-dump-bob-costas-from-super-bowl-for-concussion-talk/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 8:12 AM, Crabcake47 said:

Bob Costas is nowhere to be found on NBC’s Super Bowl press release, this coming after he said publicly that football destroys people’s brains at the University of Maryland. He’d said previously this would be his last Super Bowl. 🤔

 

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/01/22/did-nbc-dump-bob-costas-from-super-bowl-for-concussion-talk/amp/

 

Can't risk Costas using the platform to spread truth that further smears the sport.  I'm not defending the NFL here, I simply understand why they're doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 10:36 AM, CS85 said:

 

Can't risk Costas using the platform to spread truth that further smears the sport.  I'm not defending the NFL here, I simply understand why they're doing this.

 

 

So I guess this isn't a clearcut situation of the NFL barring Costas.  From what Costas is saying, "it's mutual."  

 

"The decision was mutually agreeable, and not only do I not have a problem with it, I am actually happy about it. I have long had ambivalent feelings about football, so at this point, it’s better to leave the hosting to those who are more enthusiastic about it...I have been making the same points for several years, often on NBC in halftime commentaries, interviews with Roger Goodell and other prominent NFL figures, appearances on CNN and elsewhere, I have addressed the issue of football and its undeniable connection to brain trauma many times. Why? Because the evidence is overwhelming and the effects are often devastating. It's the elephant in the stadium at every game whether others choose to acknowledge it or not. And it’s not going away. So the idea that I am only now finding my voice on this, or that NBC was taken aback by what I said at Maryland is just wrong. It’s all simple and straightforward."

 

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/01/24/bob-costas-says-nbcs-decision-to-remove-him-from-super-bowl-lii-coverage-was-mutual.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black SportsCenter is over, or at least Jemele Hill is off it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Looks like Thursday Night Football is moving to FOX next season...

 

 

 

 

I hope Amazon renews their TNF package.  That was awesome.  That or Yahoo or something.

 

That said, TNF needs to go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could keep Thursday Night Football in a limited capacity if you guarantee that the team is coming off a bye week.

 

Let's say you restrict bye weeks to Weeks 7-11 rather than 5-11. This way, no team plays more than ten games in a row. Split up the byes 6-6-8-6-6, with the six teams off Week 11 being the six that play on Thanksgiving for Week 12, and Thursday games from Weeks 8-11 being taken from teams with byes in weeks 7-10. Then after Thanksgiving, move to Saturday doubleheaders in Weeks 13-16. So that gives you a 12-game package of featured games, you gradually ramp up interest in football with the Thursday games in November leading up to the Thanksgiving tripleheader and the full NFL weekends in December leading up to the playoffs, and best of all no games on three days' rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were the NFLPA I would say no-rest TNF games are a strikable issue. It's absurd the league has operated them the way it has, when there's so clearly a better way to do it.

 

Also, nice to see Fox putting those Disney bucks to immediate use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Also, nice to see Fox putting those Disney bucks to immediate use.

 

Fox doesn't quite have those Disneybucks quite yet. Merger of that size will take a bit of time to sort out. That's still Murdollars.

 

---

 

LAFC, MLS' newest franchise, has signed it's local TV contract with... YouTube.

 

An interesting move, especially because, honestly, I'll probably watch more LAFC games this way than if they were picked up on some local channel. I'm on my computer so much as it is for work and whatever that as soon as I get a notification, I'll open up a tab and watch some soccer.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does that mean you need to subscribe to YouTube TV to watch LAFC? That's like $35/month, right? If you're an MLS fan, that's pretty good because you also get ESPN and FS1. But if you don't want to switch from an existing cable package just to watch LAFC, then you're kind of out of luck, right?

 

As I understand it, the LA sports broadcasting scene is kind of difficult, right? Like, getting Lakers and/or Dodgers games is kind of a hassle? Can you have on package that gets both Lakers and LAFC? If not, that's dumb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Does that mean you need to subscribe to YouTube TV to watch LAFC? That's like $35/month, right? If you're an MLS fan, that's pretty good because you also get ESPN and FS1. But if you don't want to switch from an existing cable package just to watch LAFC, then you're kind of out of luck, right?

 

As I understand it, the LA sports broadcasting scene is kind of difficult, right? Like, getting Lakers and/or Dodgers games is kind of a hassle? Can you have on package that gets both Lakers and LAFC? If not, that's dumb?

It’s not the only way to watch, but it might be if you want to see all the LAFC matches in English.

 

https://www.lafc.com/youtube-tv-faq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, the admiral said:

You could keep Thursday Night Football in a limited capacity if you guarantee that the team is coming off a bye week.

 

Let's say you restrict bye weeks to Weeks 7-11 rather than 5-11. This way, no team plays more than ten games in a row. Split up the byes 6-6-8-6-6, with the six teams off Week 11 being the six that play on Thanksgiving for Week 12, and Thursday games from Weeks 8-11 being taken from teams with byes in weeks 7-10. Then after Thanksgiving, move to Saturday doubleheaders in Weeks 13-16. So that gives you a 12-game package of featured games, you gradually ramp up interest in football with the Thursday games in November leading up to the Thanksgiving tripleheader and the full NFL weekends in December leading up to the playoffs, and best of all no games on three days' rest.

Except due to antitrust issues, the NFL can't start Saturday games until their minor league system (NCAA FBS) is done with its regular season.  I don't think Week 13 is doable, as its too early in the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Except due to antitrust issues, the NFL can't start Saturday games until their minor league system (NCAA FBS) is done with its regular season.  I don't think Week 13 is doable, as its too early in the year.

The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 prohibits pro football games on Friday nights and Saturdays from the second Friday in September to the second Saturday in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Except due to antitrust issues, the NFL can't start Saturday games until their minor league system (NCAA FBS) is done with its regular season.  I don't think Week 13 is doable, as its too early in the year.

I knew that part, but I thought Thanksgiving weekend was the end of college football so it was all clear. I don't follow college football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Does that mean you need to subscribe to YouTube TV to watch LAFC? That's like $35/month, right? If you're an MLS fan, that's pretty good because you also get ESPN and FS1. But if you don't want to switch from an existing cable package just to watch LAFC, then you're kind of out of luck, right?

 

As I understand it, the LA sports broadcasting scene is kind of difficult, right? Like, getting Lakers and/or Dodgers games is kind of a hassle? Can you have on package that gets both Lakers and LAFC? If not, that's dumb?

 

https://www.lafc.com/youtube-tv-faq

 

They put a FAQ page, and it looks like these LAFC YouTube TV matches will be geo-blocked outside of Southern California, limited to basically from Bakersfield to the north, south to the Mexican border, Santa Barbara to the west, and the Colorado River to the east.  They'll have their own dedicated "channel", so it'll be treated just as a local station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now