The Sports Media Thread

It is. Wonder what made him change that last word. It's a stumper!

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

11 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

No tweet better describes modern America, honestly.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Isn't the phrase usually "inmates running the asylum"?

And Doug Gottlieb wanted folks to know that before his comments regarding DeAndre Hopkins. I won't cross post the same words, but I could for a post in the NFL thread.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/10/27/doug-gottlieb-deandre-hopkins-isnt-smart-enough-to-get-nuance-of-bob-mcnair-quote-audio/

“DeAndre Hopkins obviously — I’m just gonna be blunt — he’s not smart enough to understand the nuance of what he’s saying.”

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

What do you expect from 'schlock jock' types?  This is what's come of local sports radio: There's a race to be the worst of the worst.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

Today's top story: women in sports tricked into DMing nudes to what was very obviously just three kids stacked on top of each other under a trenchcoat

I'm usually more up on my sports medias than anybody should be.... but...

...huh?

EDIT: Are you talking about this Ryan/Becca Shultz married man/teenage girl baseball blogger thing?

You take the strangest angles on things.

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 11/10/2017 at 11:05 AM, the admiral said:

Yes I am, particularly the part where people talked to her on the phone or had her on a podcast and could not recognize the voice of a teenage girl. Wild stuff.

I've got a coworker who still sounds like a woman, on the phone, in his 30's. Heck, my own voice didn't drop down into its current baritone register until I was 25. The article said they noticed the pitch.

Is all this seriously your takeaway from the story? This article tells a story that is a dark reflection of the rampant gender issues in sports media. This is the kind of case that winds up being discussed in academia. 

Either you get the gravity of this, and still played it for a cringe-worthy joke (in which case I'd be wasting my time), or it's not occured to you, and this is a discussion worth having.

As an aside, before a mod steps in, I'm not trying to start anything. @the admiral and I have gotten into it before, but this isn't intended as a continuation of that. There's a lot in this story that I think is worth discussing, if we can all behave like adults.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Yeah, I played it for a joke because it's funny. It's also sad and fascinating, but on some level, adults getting embarrassed on the internet by a teenage girl -- and not just a teenage boy, the likes of whom have been creating internet mischief for decades, but a girl -- is funny. I don't think it's the sad indictment of sports blogging that some people want it to be; women have been writing well about baseball in print and online for years. Maybe it's been a tougher road to hoe, but creating an alter-ego with a failing marriage and an abusive/self-harming edge used to manipulate women into sending nude pictures has nothing to do with beating the odds to write about baseball. That's extra, that's just being a sociopath on the internet, which people have been doing long before the proliferation of low-paying sports blogs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think it's haha funny, more strange or off.

I have a good friend who does some street level blogging for her local football team. She had relatively little success and found her opinions being criticized regularly by men. When she started doing hockey, she started going by a short version of her middle name (ala Max, Sam, Cal, etc.). She said it was amazing how little resistance she felt with the new name. She thinks a little bit of it might have to do with the sport, but there are some of the same people who were hard on her football writing, who are totally in agreement with a lot of her hockey writing (she has a common enough last name that she could pull this off).

She's not even trying to pass herself off as a man, she's just leaving that fact ambiguous.

This isn't the first case where simply presenting the same arguments as a man greases the road; far from it. Take, for example, the founders of Witchsy, an online art marketplace, or the numerous social experiments where male and female coworkers exchanged signature blocks for a week.

I get a 13 year old girl feeling the need to pose as a man to get her takes viewed seriously. Doing so in an age where people do it through twitter, where folks try to have actual interactions with people they follow, is where it went awry.

She should have just taken the stance that she preferred to not divulge too much information. She didn't, however, and got caught up in how she believed a typical college 'bro' would behave. The thing is that it worked. Maybe her fabrication wasn't quite the everyman she thought it would be, but people are so used to seeing this type of belligerent behavior from guys on social media that it isn't what tipped anyone off.

It was never the male persona that got her exposed, it was that it was so believable that fellow writers felt the need to try to reach out to the fake wife, for support.

Does it excuse her from the sociopathic way she treated people? Absolutely not, and I'm not even meaning to hint such. I do, however, see this as a social commentary on gender issues in sports.

• Like 2

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 2 weeks later...

From the "You Had One Job" Department:   espn.com this morning has their "On This Date" item on the sidebar about the 1952 NFL Dallas Texans' one and only win over the Bears, and accompanying it is a picture of the Dallas Texans of the AFL playing against the Buffalo Bills on September 30, 1962.  

YKpMHOP.png

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 3:46 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

The company is "Rough'N'Rowdy" West Virginia based amateur boxing. Barstool is putting on PPVs (selling a season pass for $50) and the first includes a fight between two Barstool employees 

The majority of Barstool's bloggers are not funny, but a few are. Primarily Pardon My Take, it's a shame they lost their show because of the Barstool brand when that's not really their style

Look, if I'm not getting the chance to actually punch Stoolies, you're not getting my fifty bucks.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's not just the bad writing, but I hate the incredulousness of this piece: https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-giants-just-got-flexed-jaguars-game-182711110.html

It’s that time of year when NFL games get really, really serious. More serious than before. There are just five weeks left in the regular season, and, well, some games mean more than others. And that’s why the Dec. 10 game between the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants is being flexed. Not to a more attractive, prime spot, but away from it.

The Week 14 Cowboys-Giants game was originally scheduled to start at 4:25 p.m. ET, but it’s being shuffled to 1 p.m. ET to allow a more interesting and meaningful game to take that coveted late afternoon start time. And that game is between the … Jacksonville Jaguars and Seattle Seahawks?

On the surface, that seems insane. The Cowboys and Giants are perennially popular and usually a big draw on TV. And it’s been a really long time since they’ve played a December game at 1 p.m....

Well, we’re living in a world where the Giants are 2-9 and the Cowboys are 5-6. And the Jaguars and Seahawks are both in the hunt for the playoffs, which automatically makes that game more worthy than a bumbling slap fight between two teams struggling to play recognizable football. (OK, this mostly just applies to the Giants, but still.)

Every single year, we complain about how some :censored:ty traditional team has a million prime time games (like the Dolphins this year, or the Cowboys every year), and the NFL finally did something good by allowing flex scheduling. I get the LOL Jacksonville narrative, but at the same time, shouldn't our goal be a rooting interesting in all 32 teams year-in, year-out, and not just eight of them? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Cowboys are backdoored into a virtually national schedule all year, every year. When they're not in a Monday/Thursday/Sunday night game, they get the late game all to themselves or all to themselves minus the two markets directly involved in the second game. Look, I know a bunch of cokeheads in Dallas were really good back when Nirvana was still around, but this is what the flex system was designed to do: put games with playoff implications into national telecasts while irrelevant games penciled in for national slots just because they involve Dallas or New York are downgraded. The Packers and Steelers have to play games at noon and they survive, the Cowboys will too.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't get it. What's the point of being able to flex marquee matchups into the Sunday night slot if they never do it? NBC has flexed ZERO games so far this season. At this point it's pointless for them to even have the rule where they can starting flexing in Week 5 because they will never ever change a game that early in the season. I am honestly shocked that they're not putting the Eagles and Rams in a primetime slot. I'd even settle for the Vikings at Panthers. But nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to watch a boring Ravens-Steelers game that will surely be a blowout. Even Ravens fans are bored of watching Joe Flacco.

• Like 1