The Sports Media Thread

I don't really care what Goff does.  I don't wish him ill, but admiral summed it up nicely:

he was trying to transition an over-the-air show in a football/baseball market into an around-the-NBA podcast that happened to also be on AM radio, right down to the tedious I'm-not-owned-you're-owned Twitter exchanges and everything.

Accurate to the letter. 

The new WSCR lineup is unimpressive, but I was also a fan of Spiegel and Parkins.  Mac was never somebody I enjoyed, but I was happy that he found a tiny slot on Sundays - that was where he worked best.  Full time?  Afternoons?  Bad idea.  We all know how that particular story's going to end.

Bernstein & McKnight is incredibly forgettable programming.  McKnight is alright, but Bernstein's definitely cooled off.  I don't know if that's simply a change in his style or personality, or if Goff's firing was a message that the Deadspin Journalism (another admiral copyright) days of WSCR are dead and gone for good.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well, he'll ride that right through Easter weekend.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 hours ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

Whoever had 12 in the "Mac misses work" pool wins. Hoarse voice getting worse, is the official word.

The program director had to intervene. If he had ever intervened in the last 13 months of Twitter beef radio, maybe Mac wouldn't have gotten his job back in the first place.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

ESPN+ launches later this month. At $5/month, it seems like a great deal for some very specific fans:

It's the baseball, hockey and soccer that may intrigue some sports fans. As part of your $4.99 monthly subscription, you'll get an out-of-market MLB game and an out-of-market NHL game each day when those sports are in season. You'll be able to add a full slate of out-of-market baseball games as part of MLB.TV for $24.99. When the 2018-19 hockey season begins next fall, you'll also be able to tack on NHL.TV for an extra fee. (This isn't exactly a surprise: BAMTech operates both of those streaming sports packages.)

ESPN+ is also absorbing MLS Live, meaning all out-of-market matches from the North American soccer league will be streamable through the new service. Considering that MLS Live used to cost subscribers $80 a year, that's a considerable value for soccer fans.

The MLS Live integration is pretty great, especially since those other sports don't really interest me. I'm not sure who this really moves the needle for, unless it's a test to see if the entire ESPN network could live on its own, independent from cable carriers (ha ha no way, at least not now).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 4/3/2018 at 2:32 PM, DG_Now said:

ESPN+ launches later this month. At $5/month, it seems like a great deal for some very specific fans:

The MLS Live integration is pretty great, especially since those other sports don't really interest me. I'm not sure who this really moves the needle for, unless it's a test to see if the entire ESPN network could live on its own, independent from cable carriers (ha ha no way, at least not now).

The MLS Live is huge for me, and the Sun Belt will live on ESPN+, so I pretty much have to get it. 

• Like 1

ESPN+ launches today with a free 30-day trial. I haven't watched anything yet but I did sign up. So far, the integration with the updated app looks pretty slick.

I had wondered if there was a yearly price and there is, $50. That's still $10 or $30 off the old MLS Live package, right? MLS plus 30 for 30 access for a coffee a month is a pretty good deal.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Oh I had missed the 30 For 30 news. Does it have the whole series? That would make perfect sense -- it's driven me nuts how it's not available on any other streamer or even the previous ESPN on-demand.

Based on my quick review of the updated ESPN app with + activated, yes, all of 30 for 30 is there.

I haven't opened the Xbox One app yet. Give that it's been garbage over the past year, I'm not holding my breath that it's been updated too. Hopefully though!

Comcast to drop Big Ten Network from non-B1G states.  Will continue to be carried in Illinois, Indiana, Maryland/DC, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Note: Iowa and Nebraska aren't be served by Comcast. And New York isn't listed, but Spectrum and Altice are dominant in NYC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/984540460835274754

On the bad side, ESPN+ doesn't have an Xbox One app.

On the plus side, it works just fine on my iPad.

Also on the plus side is an extensive library of old boxing fights. Tons of Ali and Marciano, but I much prefer 80s Mike Tyson blitzing through suckers. Ouch, Spinks.

10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

On the bad side, ESPN+ doesn't have an Xbox One app.

On the plus side, it works just fine on my iPad.

Also on the plus side is an extensive library of old boxing fights. Tons of Ali and Marciano, but I much prefer 80s Mike Tyson blitzing through suckers. Ouch, Spinks.

They need to make an XBox One and a PS4 app. Its ridiculous that they don't exist.

1 hour ago, patsox said:

They need to make an XBox One and a PS4 app. Its ridiculous that they don't exist.

Their response from customer service isn't heartening:

Dear ESPN+ Subscriber,

Thank you for contacting ESPN+ Customer Support.  We appreciate the time that you have taken to write and welcome the opportunity to respond.

At the moment XBOX will not be available at launch! But please check the site periodically as new devices will be added in the future.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫