DG_Now

The Sports Media Thread

Recommended Posts

Speaking of soccer coverage, it seems like the ESPN FC TV show isn't on anymore, at least on Sunday Nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ninersdd said:

Speaking of soccer coverage, it seems like the ESPN FC TV show isn't on anymore, at least on Sunday Nights.

Moved to ESPN+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ringer’s over-coverage of the NBA is a shame because it overshadows their underrated baseball coverage. They do a better job than anyone of blending the stat-heavy (which I love) and the more journalistic-y stuff that gets the wider audiences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN rehired Keith Olbermann. I love the guy’s sense of humor and highlights delivery but this seems like a desperation move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

ESPN rehired Keith Olbermann. I love the guy’s sense of humor and highlights delivery but this seems like a desperation move. 

Yeah, he's really washed up and not even funny anymore.  Now he's just a grumpy smug prick who is getting paid purely off of his name, just like the final 10 or so years of Letterman.

 

ESPN seems to be throwing around money wildly to make something work though, so I guess I'm not all that surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olbermann's last ESPN show was really good but he might be one of those broken-brain #resistance liberals now shouting about DRUMPF, I dunno. I'll be interested to see what they have him do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long till he wears out his welcome likes he's done everywhere else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Olbermann's last ESPN show was really good but he might be one of those broken-brain #resistance liberals now shouting about DRUMPF, I dunno. I'll be interested to see what they have him do.

 

The show from Times Square? I enjoyed that when I saw it. Much more than Scott Van Pelt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

The show from Times Square? I enjoyed that when I saw it. Much more than Scott Van Pelt.

Me too. That was my introduction to sports Keith Olbermann and it was great. Dry, sarcastic humor like that is right up my alley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ninersdd said:

How long till he wears out his welcome likes he's done everywhere else?

He already probably has.  Lots of sports fans are angry about how into (insert buzz term for how awful the left is; maybe "virtue signaling") ESPN is.  This should actually hurt them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olbermann was suppose to call Astros-Yankees yesterday for ESPN Radio, but was replaced by Ryan Ruocco instead.  Olbermann said on his Twitter he came down with food poisoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no idea of this Olbermann news if I hadn't checked this thread. My reading list must be drifting away from the media blogs! Or maybe that even sympathetic folks are tired of the zero-value-added chattering pundit class. Then again now that I HAVE seen this thread, I'm immediately seeing Clay Travis having a full-scale meltdown. Anyway, big news for the few dozen people who legitimately believe ESPN is sinking under its liberalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Digby said:

I had no idea of this Olbermann news if I hadn't checked this thread. My reading list must be drifting away from the media blogs! Or maybe that even sympathetic folks are tired of the zero-value-added chattering pundit class. Then again now that I HAVE seen this thread, I'm immediately seeing Clay Travis having a full-scale meltdown. Anyway, big news for the few dozen people who legitimately believe ESPN is sinking under its liberalism.

I wouldn’t have heard about it either if I hadn’t seen something about Olbermann on @OldTakesExposed on twitter and then done some clicking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olbermann must have had good producers or medication on his last whirl with ESPN, because he was much more dialed in than he was by the end of his Legitimate News career (his Current show was particularly embarrassing). I know we're not supposed to say "stick to sports," but when Olbermann covers serious issues within sports, he's more in his element than when he's, for the sake of argument, trying to bring down the entire Bush Administration by doing Howard Beale shtick on a low-rated cable infotainment channel. His lot in life is basically being Dark Bob Ley. And, as they say on deadspin.com in every single post, And that's okay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Countdown being one of the very first shows on TV that was openly critical of the Bush administration. There was a lot of fealty to the "wartime" president before that, and Olbermann deserves credit pushing criticism of an unpopular president into the mainstream. It really wasn't happening in media before him.

 

Also, as long as we're wildly off topic, Rachel Maddow is the highest rated cable news show. Crazy, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Also, as long as we're wildly off topic, Rachel Maddow is the highest rated cable news show. Crazy, right?

 

What? Really?

 

Are people just tuning in every night waiting to finally see those tax returns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 9:21 AM, the admiral said:

when Olbermann covers serious issues within sports, he's more in his element than when he's, for the sake of argument, trying to bring down the entire Bush Administration by doing Howard Beale shtick on a low-rated cable infotainment channel.


I feel the same way - it's funny how I can agree with him a lot on politics, yet I find him so much more fun, entertaining and funny when he's covering sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an incoming clash between the Super Bowl and a Winter Olympics(Beijing), and in recent days, Ryan Glasspiegel came out with this tweet:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were some hiccups in the Super Bowl rotation in the '90s because of the Olympics, weren't there? I think NBC got an extra game or a game a year early because of the Olympics, something like that, but the AFC-NFC-GotW rotation has held steady for a long time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There were some hiccups in the Super Bowl rotation in the '90s because of the Olympics, weren't there? I think NBC got an extra game or a game a year early because of the Olympics, something like that, but the AFC-NFC-GotW rotation has held steady for a long time now.

 

17 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There were some hiccups in the Super Bowl rotation in the '90s because of the Olympics, weren't there? I think NBC got an extra game or a game a year early because of the Olympics, something like that, but the AFC-NFC-GotW rotation has held steady for a long time now.

CBS aired Super Bowl 26 (January 1992) and the Albertville Games less than two weeks later.  NBC aired both Super Bowls 27 (January 1993) and 28 (January 1994).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now