12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Stars hat logo is incredibly generic, and it kind of creeps into the Astros' brand.  Some kind of lettering (an I, I guess) added to a star logo would be an upgrade.

But the Astros' logo is a star with an "H" over it, so this change would actually make the logo even more similar to Houston's.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

But the Astros' logo is a star with an "H" over it, so this change would actually make the logo even more similar to Houston's.

True...but it could depend on the design, I think.  The I wouldn't necessarily would be over or inside the star.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ok, so my Oklahoma Oilers are still a bit of a work in progress.  I'm still working on the arm patch, but the logo that is on the sleeve right now is going to be utilized in the final patch.

Right now I just need feed back.  The concept is centering around black, brown, and tan to represent oil, dirt, and sand.  I know, nothing says "wow" like using dirt as a description to your design concept.

Anyways, here is the Oklahoma Oilers.

Oilers%20Home_zpsk1xosgyb.png

Oilers%20Home%20Alt_zpsus3oaili.png

Oilers%20Away_zpsvjqfqmc7.png

Oilers%20Away%20Alt_zpse4zmxo29.png

23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Random question, @davidrpaige, for all the new expansion teams you've created, have you thought of which leagues and divisions they would join if they actually existed?

I didn't have any particular thought behind AL vs NL placement, but looking at my teams I guess I would do the following:

• Montreal in NL East
  • Oklahoma in NL Central
  • Las Vegas in NL West
  • Charlotte in AL East
  • New Orleans in AL Central
  • Portland in AL West

These are the teams I would add to create competitive balance. If the A's relocated to Portland then I would add Vancouver to the AL West, giving Seattle some good rivalry and easier travel days between Portland and Vancouver. 

I chose Oklahoma over Indy due to Houston's move to the AL. New Orleans wins out just as a more geographic balance shoring up the South more.

I'd personally would rank these cities as likelihood of expansion:

1. Charlotte
  2. Portland
  3. Montreal
  4. Las Vegas
  5. Indianapolis
  6. Oklahoma City
  7. New Orleans

Those are my thoughts. 

7 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

I'd personally would rank these cities as likelihood of expansion:

1. Charlotte
  2. Portland
  3. Montreal
  4. Las Vegas
  5. Indianapolis
  6. Oklahoma City
  7. New Orleans

Those are my thoughts. 

I definitely agree with your top 4 teams. Charlotte has been leading MiLB in fan attendance for several years, Montreal clearly wants baseball back and now that Vegas has gotten both an NHL and NFL team I think it's only a matter of time until they get an MLB team, too. 

Can't wait to see your Vegas concept!

Ok, so as I've mentioned earlier, I've been going back and forth on my Las Vegas concept.  I started out in one direction, went another way, then went yet another way, and so on and so on.  Originally, this Las Vegas concept was the very first baseball design I had ever worked on.  It was a simple concept idea: "I think the defunct XFL's Las Vegas Outlaws would look much better as a baseball uniform."  That was it.  So, originally, this was the direction I went in:

Outlaws%20classic%20home_zpsl2hnkcri.png

It was a clean and classic look.  The LV logo on the hat looked really nice.  I could have continued in this direction with very little problem.  The big problem was that I was just not "feeling it."

So next I did a variety of color schemes.  Black and silver inspired by the move of the Raiders coming to Vegas was an idea I really bounced around a lot.  You name it, I tried a whole bunch of traditional baseball choices.  That is when it kind of dawned on me as to why I was not liking any of my designs.  Nothing traditional fits the bill for Las Vegas.

So doing some inspiration research I came across this image:

tumblr_m30i3wB8Q71qm4rc3.jpg

This spoke to me.  So I used the colors and the idea of classic Las Vegas neon.  I put together something very...interesting.  It is tacky.  It is loud.  It is probably a little too much MiLB rather then the Show, but it said Las Vegas more then anything else I was doing at the time.

So here is, in all its eye-sore glory, the Las Vegas Outlaws.

Outlaws%20neon%20home_zpsiezdc4gf.png

Outlaws%20neon%20home%20alt_zpsyqviiab2.

Outlaws%20neon%20away_zpse6en4q1a.png

Outlaws%20neon%20away%20alt_zpswtroaqzg.

So I need feedback on this one.  This one is waaaay more out there then other stuff I've done, even using yellow for the TB Rays.  I feel I'm on the right track but I don't think I'm there yet.  There needs to be more fine tuning, I'm just not sure where to go from here.  So have at it.

I like this concept a lot. It's not perfect, so I'll comment on what I would change:

- First off, I love the numbers style as it fits a Vegas team perfectly. I'm not sure how well it translates to the "LAS VEGAS" wordmark, though. To be honest, I've never liked the way "Las Vegas" has looked on any Vegas MLB team concept I've seen, probably because the words look unbalanced when right next to each other as opposed to arching them or angling them. I really like your cap logo (from what I can see of it) so one way to solve this problem would be to put that logo at least on the black alt. 

- When I first opened this post on my phone, I thought you were presenting two different color scheme options between the home and road sets because the road set utilizes the blue color so much more than the home set. You might consider using the pink and yellow undershirt and sock options for the road sets, too, and just relegating blue to a trim color as it is on the home sets. 

- Maybe consider warming up the shade of neon yellow just a touch, especially if you're going to use it as prominently as you are on the home alt. 

So those are my thoughts on this set. Address these issues and I think you'll have a really solid proposal for an MLB team worthy of the name "LAS VEGAS."  

You just offended every resident of Las Vegas by playing into the stereotype of the "Las Vegas Strip". It's kind of like basing an Orlando concept completely on Disney stuff. It is an easy trap to fall into, but notice how the Golden Knights were able to avoid the trap. The western outlaw theme is great (just don't reuse failed team logos). You could also use a mob theme, or atomic testing theme, or air force theme. There is a lot more to Las Vegas than the fake touristy stuff.

14 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

Ok, so as I've mentioned earlier, I've been going back and forth on my Las Vegas concept.  I started out in one direction, went another way, then went yet another way, and so on and so on.  Originally, this Las Vegas concept was the very first baseball design I had ever worked on.  It was a simple concept idea: "I think the defunct XFL's Las Vegas Outlaws would look much better as a baseball uniform."  That was it.  So, originally, this was the direction I went in:

Outlaws%20classic%20home_zpsl2hnkcri.png

It was a clean and classic look.  The LV logo on the hat looked really nice.  I could have continued in this direction with very little problem.  The big problem was that I was just not "feeling it."

So next I did a variety of color schemes.  Black and silver inspired by the move of the Raiders coming to Vegas was an idea I really bounced around a lot.  You name it, I tried a whole bunch of traditional baseball choices.  That is when it kind of dawned on me as to why I was not liking any of my designs.  Nothing traditional fits the bill for Las Vegas.

So doing some inspiration research I came across this image:

tumblr_m30i3wB8Q71qm4rc3.jpg

This spoke to me.  So I used the colors and the idea of classic Las Vegas neon.  I put together something very...interesting.  It is tacky.  It is loud.  It is probably a little too much MiLB rather then the Show, but it said Las Vegas more then anything else I was doing at the time.

So here is, in all its eye-sore glory, the Las Vegas Outlaws.

Outlaws%20neon%20home_zpsiezdc4gf.png

Outlaws%20neon%20home%20alt_zpsyqviiab2.

Outlaws%20neon%20away_zpse6en4q1a.png

Outlaws%20neon%20away%20alt_zpswtroaqzg.

So I need feedback on this one.  This one is waaaay more out there then other stuff I've done, even using yellow for the TB Rays.  I feel I'm on the right track but I don't think I'm there yet.  There needs to be more fine tuning, I'm just not sure where to go from here.  So have at it.

You need more pink! :D

43 minutes ago, Whitefoot said:

You just offended every resident of Las Vegas by playing into the stereotype of the "Las Vegas Strip". It's kind of like basing an Orlando concept completely on Disney stuff. It is an easy trap to fall into, but notice how the Golden Knights were able to avoid the trap. The western outlaw theme is great (just don't reuse failed team logos). You could also use a mob theme, or atomic testing theme, or air force theme. There is a lot more to Las Vegas than the fake touristy stuff.

I agree. For the longest time ive always wondered what the name and color scheme for the team should be, and every name I seemed to come up with just never fit. Everything just felt like a middle school aged competitive travel team name. I think it's so much harder to do a las Vegas MLB concept than at first glance. So I agree, its all about not going too over the top with your color scheme and logo. The colors can be a little bit brighter, but not too loud. Baseball is a sport of subtlety, and it shows in the uniforms. Plus the neon pink and neon yellow would look very dated after a couple of years, its why uniforms like the Atlanta Hawks and Seattle Seahawks will look worse and worse as time goes on. Now I don't think you need NO las Vegas themed things in your logo, but it should be a lot more understated. Something just very small and subtle, that lets you know it's a Vegas team, with banging it over your head or jamming it down your throat. Perhaps like a pair of dice, or an ace or a club logo. That's why I say, its so darn hard to strike a perfect balance with the name, logo, color scheme etc. That actually would feel like a major league team. Also think, this team will either be in the AL WEST or NL WEST. So you have to see this team playing the dodgers, giants, Angels, rangers etc. Would it look like a real MLB game? Or like one of those teams scrimmaging a minor league team? Again, not trying to bash your concept at all, its just so difficult to do a Vegas MLB team that feels real, and that it could actually exist

I think there might be a disconnect between the team name and your color scheme. When I hear the word "outlaw," I think of the Wild West, which calls to mind "old" colors like tan, brown, and maybe blood red, much like the XFL-based concept. If you really like this color scheme (which I do), maybe you should think about changing the team name? Here are some ideas:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/12551758/nhl-here-our-suggested-las-vegas-expansion-team-nicknames

"Flamingos" in particular would very much fit with the colors you chose. :) It's also a name that was originally considered for the Marlins.

Archived