College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

The Jumpman logo on their practice helmet is just wrong and I absolutely despise it. Small manufacturer logo on the chest? Ok fine, that's to be expected and the industry standard. The university is still clearly the main promoted aspect of the uniform.

But where does it stop? Will Auburn start donning a big UA on the helmet? Ohio State with a massive swoosh (or LeBron's brand) amidst the buckeye leaves?

Thankfully it's college sports, so I think schools will find it harder to promote advertising while players remain unpaid. But this latest move by UNC is shameful.

***Edited- I accidentally said "The Jumpman logo on their practice jersey is just wrong and I absolutely despise it" where as I meant to say practice helmet.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The Jumpman logo on their practice jerseys is just wrong and I absolutely despise it. Small manufacturer logo on the chest? Ok fine, that's to be expected and the industry standard. The university is still clearly the main promoted aspect of the uniform.

But where does it stop? Will Auburn start donning a big UA on the helmet? Ohio State with a massive swoosh (or LeBron's brand) amidst the buckeye leaves?

Thankfully it's college sports, so I think schools will find it harder to promote advertising while players remain unpaid. But this latest move by UNC is shameful.

Michael Jordan: You can have Jordan Brand uniforms, but you have to put my logo on your practice helmets.

IMG_6730.GIF.c9ebf971fdab557a38d72ed33861ebb5.GIF

UNC Football:

IMG_6728.GIF.3401e7612cd883a8d36df736624e7441.GIF

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Most people's problem with the Jumpman logo on the helmet is the fact that it's a basketball logo and should be used exclusively as such. If a team has a uniform deal with any brand, that brand logo should be able to be placed on any part of that uniform. Including the helmet. As long as the manufacturer logo doesn't make it's way to game day helmets I'm completely okay with it. It's not hurting anything.

38 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Most people's problem with the Jumpman logo on the helmet is the fact that it's a basketball logo and should be used exclusively as such. If a team has a uniform deal with any brand, that brand logo should be able to be placed on any part of that uniform. Including the helmet. As long as the manufacturer logo doesn't make it's way to game day helmets I'm completely okay with it. It's not hurting anything.

Completely disagree. I honestly don't care if it's a basketball player. I can recognize that the Jordan brand has grown and expanded beyond basketball. What I have a problem with is slapping the logo so massively on the helmet in place of the team logo. That's what's wrong.

7 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I hate to break it to you buddy

hi-res-50cd099534ab490f3c89722d13aafdc5_crop_exact.jpg

Lol, I knew someone would say it. But you knew what I meant.

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Completely disagree. I honestly don't care if it's a basketball player. I can recognize that the Jordan brand has grown and expanded beyond basketball. What I have a problem with is slapping the logo so massively on the helmet in place of the team logo. That's what's wrong.

Lol, I knew someone would say it. But you knew what I meant.

Completely agree with you. When the most visible thing on a practice/game/any uniform is the emphasis of a brand over the school, that IS a problem. If the NFL did that,sure, they can market how they want. European soccer has survived with that for a while now. But don't lie about amatuerism and pretend that this is supposedly about the students-athletes (a term the NCAA coined to get out a paying a paralyzed player his workers' comp money, and then to get out of paying his widow-how disturbing is THAT?) when you put a corporation's logo on the side of the helmet.

/end rant, now back to discussion of NCAA uniforms while pretending all is well with this systemic corruption.

5 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

That makes me feel a bit better, but why even showcase those in the first place? I mean if you're going to shamelessly plug your brand into amateur athletics, you might as well go whole hog right?

They may have thought better of it.  Or it might have been another reminder/advertisement.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

17 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

As @walkerws said, the Jumpan logo is not worn in practice...the Jumpman helmet was just a promotional mannequin.

Maybe it hasn't been worn yet in practice (considering it was just unveiled), but that is quite clearly not what UNC's own equipment staff said regarding the new lid.

10 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I hate to break it to you buddy

hi-res-50cd099534ab490f3c89722d13aafdc5_crop_exact.jpg

Beat me to it. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

10 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Why the fuss over practice helmets. It's not like it's gonna happen in game anytime soon, right?

Because the helmet is one of the most recognizable aspects of a football team and they are putting Jordan brand front and center without any regard for promoting UNC.

I get that advertising is common in sports. We're used to seeing the Chevy logo on Manchester United and I'm sure we'll grow accustomed to the Goodyear wings on the Cavs. But this is the most prominent feature of the uniform. You won't see the Yankees practicing in a cap bearing the MetLife or Citi logo. Sure, you've begun to see ads on NFL practice jerseys, but that's a small chest patch. They don't feature as the logo on the helmet.

Finally, the biggest gripe is that these are still amateur athletes. I'm sure UNC didn't just think this up on their own. I guarantee you Jordan brand is paying extra to the school to be featured this way. But the kids wearing the helmets won't see a dime for being walking billboards for the brand. There is a difference between being the equipment provider of a school and using that school as a driver for advertising that brand alone.

For example (and this applies to pretty much any major college apparel deal), Under Armour uses Auburn to promote themselves and basically says "hey, see those Auburn players on the field? The Auburn uniforms are made by Under Armour. We're hoping our partnership with Auburn will drive your interest in our brand." And yet, the Auburn uniforms look the same as they always have and you know ten years from now, they'll still be the same. Jordan brand is basically saying "see those players out there practicing in Jordan branded helmets? They promote the Jordan brand. Oh yeah, they also play for UNC."

Where does it end?

Archived