buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

WSU151    2,277
16 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Let's not forget how players can only eat one plate of spaghetti before getting in trouble for "eating too much". Yes, NCAA, let's starve our athletes and make money off of them.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-votes-to-allow-unlimited-food-supply-for-players/

aawagner011    768

The Jumpman logo on their practice helmet is just wrong and I absolutely despise it. Small manufacturer logo on the chest? Ok fine, that's to be expected and the industry standard. The university is still clearly the main promoted aspect of the uniform.

But where does it stop? Will Auburn start donning a big UA on the helmet? Ohio State with a massive swoosh (or LeBron's brand) amidst the buckeye leaves?

Thankfully it's college sports, so I think schools will find it harder to promote advertising while players remain unpaid. But this latest move by UNC is shameful.

***Edited- I accidentally said "The Jumpman logo on their practice jersey is just wrong and I absolutely despise it" where as I meant to say practice helmet.

upperV03    1,918
16 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The Jumpman logo on their practice jerseys is just wrong and I absolutely despise it. Small manufacturer logo on the chest? Ok fine, that's to be expected and the industry standard. The university is still clearly the main promoted aspect of the uniform.

But where does it stop? Will Auburn start donning a big UA on the helmet? Ohio State with a massive swoosh (or LeBron's brand) amidst the buckeye leaves?

Thankfully it's college sports, so I think schools will find it harder to promote advertising while players remain unpaid. But this latest move by UNC is shameful.

Michael Jordan: You can have Jordan Brand uniforms, but you have to put my logo on your practice helmets.

IMG_6730.GIF.c9ebf971fdab557a38d72ed33861ebb5.GIF

UNC Football:

IMG_6728.GIF.3401e7612cd883a8d36df736624e7441.GIF

DNAsports    492

Most people's problem with the Jumpman logo on the helmet is the fact that it's a basketball logo and should be used exclusively as such. If a team has a uniform deal with any brand, that brand logo should be able to be placed on any part of that uniform. Including the helmet. As long as the manufacturer logo doesn't make it's way to game day helmets I'm completely okay with it. It's not hurting anything.

aawagner011    768
38 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Most people's problem with the Jumpman logo on the helmet is the fact that it's a basketball logo and should be used exclusively as such. If a team has a uniform deal with any brand, that brand logo should be able to be placed on any part of that uniform. Including the helmet. As long as the manufacturer logo doesn't make it's way to game day helmets I'm completely okay with it. It's not hurting anything.

Completely disagree. I honestly don't care if it's a basketball player. I can recognize that the Jordan brand has grown and expanded beyond basketball. What I have a problem with is slapping the logo so massively on the helmet in place of the team logo. That's what's wrong.

7 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I hate to break it to you buddy

hi-res-50cd099534ab490f3c89722d13aafdc5_crop_exact.jpg

Lol, I knew someone would say it. But you knew what I meant.

laray3    18

It's more of a jordan brand being born at North Carolina thing I believe. But still weird having a basketball player on a football helmet. 

1 hour ago, laray3 said:

It's more of a jordan brand being born at North Carolina thing I believe. But still weird having a basketball player on a football helmet. 

Nike was born in Oregon, you don't see a bust of Uncle Phil on the helmets.

dakotapalm    188
2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Completely disagree. I honestly don't care if it's a basketball player. I can recognize that the Jordan brand has grown and expanded beyond basketball. What I have a problem with is slapping the logo so massively on the helmet in place of the team logo. That's what's wrong.

Lol, I knew someone would say it. But you knew what I meant.

Completely agree with you. When the most visible thing on a practice/game/any uniform is the emphasis of a brand over the school, that IS a problem. If the NFL did that,sure, they can market how they want. European soccer has survived with that for a while now. But don't lie about amatuerism and pretend that this is supposedly about the students-athletes (a term the NCAA coined to get out a paying a paralyzed player his workers' comp money, and then to get out of paying his widow-how disturbing is THAT?) when you put a corporation's logo on the side of the helmet.

/end rant, now back to discussion of NCAA uniforms while pretending all is well with this systemic corruption.

walkerws    155

When you look at  at their practices, there's no logos on the helmet.  

2 hours ago, walkerws said:

When you look at  at their practices, there's no logos on the helmet.  

That makes me feel a bit better, but why even showcase those in the first place? I mean if you're going to shamelessly plug your brand into amateur athletics, you might as well go whole hog right?

WSU151    2,277
5 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

That makes me feel a bit better, but why even showcase those in the first place? I mean if you're going to shamelessly plug your brand into amateur athletics, you might as well go whole hog right?

They may have thought better of it.  Or it might have been another reminder/advertisement.

Cardsblues02    48
10 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

They may have thought better of it.  Or it might have been another reminder/advertisement.

There are already PLENTY of reminders...

Clintau24    525

You could put a damn Walmart brand And1 logo on the helmet and it look bad. The helmet isn't a billboard, and that's what UNC is using it at such

Gupti    191

It's not like this is the first time that a supplier has taken the chance to over represent their brand on some practice uniforms.

image.jpeg

Clintau24    525

A design staple that is the adidas 3 stripes is entirely different than slapping the entire logo on the helmet.

WSU151    2,277

As @walkerws said, the Jumpan logo is not worn in practice...the Jumpman helmet was just a promotional mannequin.

aawagner011    768
17 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

As @walkerws said, the Jumpan logo is not worn in practice...the Jumpman helmet was just a promotional mannequin.

Maybe it hasn't been worn yet in practice (considering it was just unveiled), but that is quite clearly not what UNC's own equipment staff said regarding the new lid.

Germanshepherd    516

Why the fuss over practice helmets. It's not like it's gonna happen in game anytime soon, right?