2017 NFL Offseason: Firin', hirin', signin', draftin'!

CS85

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I just checked this thread for the first time in a long time...so sorry that my reply is not timely.

Just curious how you balanced this with Michael Vick.  I know I am a Viking fan but I'm not here to defend nor minimize Peterson.  And if you tell me AP is bad enough to abandon the league and Vick's not, who am I to argue?  To me it's a bit the other way.  I struggled some with AP being on my team and during the brief times where it seemed conceivable that Vick may end up in Minnesota, I honestly was not sure what I was going to do.

Similarly, I am kinda expecting the Vikings to draft Mixon, which will be kinda hard for me. Generally speaking, I feel someone that's been through whatever the justice system has decided for them deserves to get a job in their field, but I definitely don't want some guys on my team.

(Oh well, I'm hanging by a thread with the league anyway. I'm struggling with the fact that Mixon's going to get drafted and Kaepernick's career is over.  The NFL, and specifically its fans, have sent me the message as to which is the worse person.)

I felt similarly about Vick at the time. I was in shock when I heard it and was sick. I was eventually able to accept it because at least he had been to prison and officially "rehabilitated" so at least according to our authorities, he was deemed OK and ready to start life again. 

Turns out it worked out out very well for both sides. Vick played relatively well for the Eagles and became a model citizen, despite having his idiot brother doing his best to create distractions and send the train off the rails. 

Now heres where things get dicey. I was able to not dismiss but at least accept that Vick's crimes were at least influenced by culture and that in his mind he may genuinely not have understood why what he was doing was wrong, and hence how he was able to be re educated.

Arguments have been made that Peterson's crime was also culturally influenced. I'm unable to give him the benefit of the doubt that I gave Vick. There's no way you see the damage that you're doing to a child and not know it's wrong. He didn't pay a true price, and there's no indication that he "gets it" now. Also at the end of the day, human children > dogs, and there wasn't any reason to think that Vick's apparent lack of caring for living creatures included humans. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, JQK said:

So is the Giants/Cowboys opening up SNF every year the new tradition?

I'm curious, are Giants fans sick of opening against the Cowboys just as much as Cowboys fans are?

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

$3.5M (unguaranteed no less) for one season isn't expensive at all. The money still would have been better invested on the defensive side of the ball, but who else is out there right now?

NSFCvyu.png

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

American ends contract to charter six teams.  Dolphins, Steelers, Cardinals, Colts, Ravens, and Jaguars impacted.  The Cowboys, Panthers, and Eagles will remain under contract. 

Delta may also drop some teams as well. 

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/18/nfl-charter-flights/

Guess airlines are worried their security won't be able to drag 350lb linemen off of planes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Glad to see Martaivs Bryant reinstated yesterday. While I think the NFL's stance on marijuana is antiquated at best, they are still the rules. I have a hard time garnering sympathy for those who know the rules and endanger their livelihood by disobeying them. In any case, I do have sympathy for those with addiction issues, and if addiction affected Bryant, I sincerely hope he has overcome it and will continue to stay sober. I hope he succeeds on and off the field, because far to often these stories end up becoming cautionary tales (Justin Blackmon anyone??).

NSFCvyu.png

You can't get addicted to marijuana. You can get addicted to pain killers though. While I don't know what the NFL uses to treat player discomfort, my guess is it's harsher than marijuana. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I actually forgot the Draft was on tonight. I'm not sure if it's because the Dolphins are picking so late (not really use to that) or maybe it's the lack of interest in the prospects. Either way, it's weird for me.

3 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I actually forgot the Draft was on tonight. I'm not sure if it's because the Dolphins are picking so late (not really use to that) or maybe it's the lack of interest in the prospects. Either way, it's weird for me.

Thursday draft night started last year, right?

It seems just as dumb an overreach as Thursday Night Football. People don't want that much football. Especially when the draft really isn't that compelling of television.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Thursday draft night started last year, right?

It seems just as dumb an overreach as Thursday Night Football. People don't want that much football. Especially when the draft really isn't that compelling of television.

It dominates the ratings.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/ratings-nfl-draft-lower-espn-cbs-tops-rivals-the-big-bang-theory-1201763447/

It will win the night cable wise over NBA on TNT, and possibly all TV, but for "Big Bang Theory" episode.

ESPN and NFLN will get over 8 million viewers combined, plus whatever audience from sports bars.

Archived