raysox

Unrealized Stadiums

151 posts in this topic

***UMass Boston, not BU, if I may nitpick your post. 

Would've been lovely, if a little generic and not really taking advantage of the waterfront location. Of the many failed stadium plans for the Revs, this is the first time I believe the Krafts have released renderings -- kind of a strange move to say "this is what we COULD HAVE had", but presumably a damage control move to quell a fanbase that is really tired of this :censored:.

3 people like this

1 minute ago, Digby said:

***UMass Boston, not BU, if I may nitpick your post. 

Would've been lovely, if a little generic and not really taking advantage of the waterfront location. Of the many failed stadium plans for the Revs, this is the first time I believe the Krafts have released renderings -- kind of a strange move to say "this is what we COULD HAVE had", but presumably a damage control move to quell a fanbase that is really tired of this :censored:.

Yeah my bad.

But I was going to say that this was the first time I had seen the pictures anywhere. I didn't even know they were considering it until yesterday. 

20 minutes ago, Digby said:

Of the many failed stadium plans for the Revs, this is the first time I believe the Krafts have released renderings -- kind of a strange move to say "this is what we COULD HAVE had", but presumably a damage control move to quell a fanbase that is really tired of this :censored:.

It is a little strange to release renderings only after the plan is dead.  Unless they think they can force UMass back to the table?

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It is a little strange to release renderings only after the plan is dead.  Unless they think they can force UMass back to the table?

That's my best guess? Or as I said, a statement of "look people, we were really trying!" to an angry fanbase -- but it seems like, in the face of skeptical politicians, releasing these earlier on would've been a better idea. I realize @raysox is not a local but his post kinda indicates that the general public didn't know what was happening here. The Krafts' M.O. with these things has been to keep things under wraps, which was maybe okay for managing expectations for a while, but I don't know how you're going to get the locals' support when the first thing they hear is a preemptive strike from their state reps and not the team saying "here's what we're thinking about and why it'll be good". The Revs diehards alone aren't numerous enough to form a powerful bloc here.

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

This version was also pretty cool, but I think the buildings in CF and LF may be good examples of trying just a little bit too hard.

Here's another A's concept. This one a post Cisco Field in San Jose proposal put forth by the city of Oakland on the waterfront near Jack London Square. Something like this may be built in the future as the site is still one the A's are considering in their ongoing stadium search, but the city's concept itself was not and will not be used by the team.

920x1240.jpg

920x920.jpg

2 people like this

^ Does that Oakland proposal have... decorative disused gantry cranes in the outfield?

1 hour ago, Digby said:

^ Does that Oakland proposal have... decorative disused gantry cranes in the outfield?

That was the plan, yes. The site is a recently abandoned shipping terminal (Howard Terminal).

3 hours ago, Digby said:

That's my best guess? Or as I said, a statement of "look people, we were really trying!" to an angry fanbase -- but it seems like, in the face of skeptical politicians, releasing these earlier on would've been a better idea. I realize @raysox is not a local but his post kinda indicates that the general public didn't know what was happening here. The Krafts' M.O. with these things has been to keep things under wraps, which was maybe okay for managing expectations for a while, but I don't know how you're going to get the locals' support when the first thing they hear is a preemptive strike from their state reps and not the team saying "here's what we're thinking about and why it'll be good". The Revs diehards alone aren't numerous enough to form a powerful bloc here.

If I had to guess it would be the, "we're trying!" angle. The Revs fans have been waiting for the better part of two decades for a new stadium and have watched the entire league pass them by in making it happen (once DC's in their new digs). They're the last MLS 1.0 team left in the league and it's largely because they're stuck in Foxboro.

Discarded stadium plans of the former San Diego Chargers from their failed (and ill advised) "Convadium" ballot measure last year.

0-stadium.jpg?w=1000&h=563

aerial_from_northwest_super_bowl_credit_

stadium-e1468624233115.jpg

1 person likes this