AndrewPF

Mandela Effect

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, bwburke94 said:

That's a Mandela effect of its own to me. I always remembered the patch only being worn Week 1, and the Chiefs played the Patriots that week (Brady injury), not the Raiders.


Raiders wore the Gene Upshaw memorial for the entire year since he was an important player for the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For years I've remembered a press conference or a news piece the Eagles held to announce they were switching uniforms in the mid-90's. At this press conference they had 2 helmets. One helmet was the current midnight green but they also had a white helmet with similar wing decals (that they were maybe considering at the time?). I'm 99% sure I actually saw this and its not a pipe dream haha...I've never been able to find a pic of that white helmet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it at all possible that you're thinking of the Seahawks?  They did that with a blue helmet and silver helmet before the NFL shot down their road/helmet idea.

 

2002_seahawks_helmets.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2017 at 9:16 PM, Old School Fool said:

 

1969_NYJets.png

Interesting. In the game, it was Gastineau era unis and the orange was just undershirts/gloves wristbands. I've been looking for screenshots forever. Im gonna have to break down and buy a Dreamcast (dang it). Thanks for the heads up though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid 1980's, College World Series, I distinctly recall the Miami Hurricanes wearing an alternate pullover jersey that was white from the chest up and green with orange trim below. Unique as they were I wanted to go back and look them up but can't find pictures anywhere. Surprising because the CWS was in a real heyday then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That it's called the "Mandela Effect" is so funny to me, because it feels like anyone who actually knows who Nelson Mandela was knew that he was in prison and clearly not dead in the 1980s. Even in that AVGN video posted a couple of pages back, he mispronounces "Mandela" -- badly.

 

I'd like to think that if there were a glitch in the matrix, it'd be for something more important than the spelling of children's book author's names.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

That it's called the "Mandela Effect" is so funny to me, because it feels like anyone who actually knows who Nelson Mandela was knew that he was in prison and clearly not dead in the 1980s. Even in that AVGN video posted a couple of pages back, he mispronounces "Mandela" -- badly.

 

I'd like to think that if there were a glitch in the matrix, it'd be for something more important than the spelling of children's book author's names.

 

 

Also, anyone under the delusion that Mandela died in prison would have to ignore this famous and dramatic event:

 

20170419_052029.thumb.jpg.0c22685b0949b4104c89d48399a08f15.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2017 at 11:37 AM, cmk421 said:

For years I've remembered a press conference or a news piece the Eagles held to announce they were switching uniforms in the mid-90's. At this press conference they had 2 helmets. One helmet was the current midnight green but they also had a white helmet with similar wing decals (that they were maybe considering at the time?). I'm 99% sure I actually saw this and its not a pipe dream haha...I've never been able to find a pic of that white helmet.

 

This was the only picture I could find of that uniform unveiling...I'm pretty sure that particular white helmet never existed.  A white wing on a white helmet would look pretty odd.

 

032917-wpvi-eagles-model-uniforms-1996-i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I have a "Mandela Effect" story with the above photo.  I do remember that the early version of this uniform had the two stripes on the white jersey.  But I think I'd have bet money that the eagle head logo was also on the sleeve.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the A's wearing Kelly green as recently as the late 90s. I can picture clear as day a baseball card from 1998 or 1999 of an A's catcher with a Kelly green helmet and chest protector.  They supposedly switched to the darker forest green much earlier than that. (I think that card was before the rise in prominence of "turn back the clock")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I think I have a "Mandela Effect" story with the above photo.  I do remember that the early version of this uniform had the two stripes on the white jersey.  But I think I'd have bet money that the eagle head logo was also on the sleeve.   

I'd almost say that the sleeve shown never made it to the field and was replaced by the Eagles head. But i think they used it one year, then swapped them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kevinmets said:

I remember the A's wearing Kelly green as recently as the late 90s. I can picture clear as day a baseball card from 1998 or 1999 of an A's catcher with a Kelly green helmet and chest protector.  They supposedly switched to the darker forest green much earlier than that. (I think that card was before the rise in prominence of "turn back the clock")

 

My little league team was the A's in 97 & 98, and we were forest green (and used the all green road hats).. So without knowing any specific date on the official switch, I knew it was at least before the late 90's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-04-18 at 8:59 PM, DG_Now said:

That it's called the "Mandela Effect" is so funny to me, because it feels like anyone who actually knows who Nelson Mandela was knew that he was in prison and clearly not dead in the 1980s. Even in that AVGN video posted a couple of pages back, he mispronounces "Mandela" -- badly.

 

I'd like to think that if there were a glitch in the matrix, it'd be for something more important than the spelling of children's book author's names.

 

Or, alternatively, it's such small potatoes our machine overlords haven't bothered patching it :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can very very clearly remember the Pittsburgh Steelers during the early 80s wearing (probably pre season...or maybe very early season?) White jerseys with white pants just like their 1970-1971 sets.

 

But it couldn't have been highlights from way back when because I (vaguely) remember Berman describing Cliff Stoudt completing a pass to Gregg "Trashman" Garrity. I guess that name stuck in my little kid brain

 

Are we 100% certain Pittsburgh never went white on white again ever after 1971?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2017 at 0:48 PM, ltravisjr said:

Mid 1980's, College World Series, I distinctly recall the Miami Hurricanes wearing an alternate pullover jersey that was white from the chest up and green with orange trim below. Unique as they were I wanted to go back and look them up but can't find pictures anywhere. Surprising because the CWS was in a real heyday then.

Similar to the Astros tequila sunrise jerseys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought of one last night. During the 99 season I could've sworn the Reds wore their current all-red hats with the red crown, red bill, drop shadowed C with red undershirts for a 3 game weekend series. The rest of that season they pretty much only wore the black hats and undershirts.

 

All pictures I can find of the Reds wearing red during that season show the red cap with black bill, but I very vividly remember an all-red hat making it's way onto the field at least once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bmac said:

Similar to the Astros tequila sunrise jerseys?

Yes, they were loosely similar. They didn't have the same type of stripe pattern, though. The green area was mostly unbroken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2017 at 10:19 AM, OnWis97 said:

I think I have a "Mandela Effect" story with the above photo.  I do remember that the early version of this uniform had the two stripes on the white jersey.  But I think I'd have bet money that the eagle head logo was also on the sleeve.   

 

On 4/19/2017 at 11:42 AM, MJWalker45 said:

I'd almost say that the sleeve shown never made it to the field and was replaced by the Eagles head. But i think they used it one year, then swapped them out.

 

It looks like they were used for at least one year.  I can't tell whether the jersey has a green stripe and a black cuff or Bobby Hoying is just wearing a black undershirt.

 

EPSON015_20141001517.jpg

 

Slightly off topic . . . this picture sure makes it look like the Eagles were wearing the modern uniform in kelly green, but I know that's not actually the case.

 

s568872814488652156_p8644_i1_w573.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now