Sign in to follow this  
guest23

Time to rebrand the Panthers?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

If the Panthers do change their helmet color (which I wouldn't be terribly opposed to, but it's unnecessary), they definitely shouldn't change it to black. There are enough black shelled teams in the league, and one of them is a big rival. If anything, they should change to that electric blue color they have. That's a color they can and absolutely should own completely. 

 

That being said, the panthers look great as they are. I still think the original logo was better, though. 

There are only 3 black helmets in the league right now, 4 if you count Jacksonville.  There are 5 silver helmets  including the Panthers, and 7 white helmets, additionally the Ravens and Steelers are rivals and both wear black helmets and it's fine.

 

I don't think they should change the helmet color but the reasons you outlined are bad reasons to not change to a black helmet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just saying it's a reason, not that it's the mic drop or anything. The real mic drop would be how awesome that shade of blue is and the fact that nobody else in the league uses anything even remotely close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

If the Panthers do change their helmet color (which I wouldn't be terribly opposed to, but it's unnecessary), they definitely shouldn't change it to black. There are enough black shelled teams in the league, and one of them is a big rival. If anything, they should change to that electric blue color they have. That's a color they can and absolutely should own completely. 

 

That being said, the panthers look great as they are. I still think the original logo was better, though. 

Especially in a division with one black helmet already (Atlanta).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People say the Panthers look is timeless. I just don’t feel the same. I see too many things that can be improved upon. 

• Shoulder stripes 

• Helmet/pant stripes (lacks cohesion)

• white pants & silver pants? (Pick one tertiary color)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chawls said:

People say the Panthers look is timeless. I just don’t feel the same. I see too many things that can be improved upon. 

• Shoulder stripes 

• Helmet/pant stripes (lacks cohesion)

• white pants & silver pants? (Pick one tertiary color)

 

 

 

I agree. It really depends on your definition of timeless. For some people it just means classic football design elements. I like there to be something decidedly idiosyncratic, signature, unique, contemporary-but-not-trendy, etc. that keeps it from looking dated. Something that makes me think, “Why is that like that?” and provides me enough clues to find the answer. The Panthers are ripe for that type of update if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 10:14 AM, andrewharrington said:

 

I agree. It really depends on your definition of timeless. For some people it just means classic football design elements. I like there to be something decidedly idiosyncratic, signature, unique, contemporary-but-not-trendy, etc. that keeps it from looking dated. Something that makes me think, “Why is that like that?” and provides me enough clues to find the answer. The Panthers are ripe for that type of update if you ask me.

I would agree with this sentiment  and that description fits the Panthers uniforms when they were first unveiled 20 years ago. The uniforms are more than serviceable, but could definitely use some tweaks/updates to be really good:

The helmet stripes and white pants need to go.

 

Either match the stripe to the silver pants or go stripeless on the helmet.

 

They logo could/should use some cleaning up of the sloppy linework/shading

 

I think single-color numbers in a style similar to the wordmark would work really well and compliment the sleek curves of the logo and striping in a way the current heavy block numbers do not...and lose the hip logos

 

just my 2/100 of a dollar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 10:14 AM, andrewharrington said:

 

I agree. It really depends on your definition of timeless. For some people it just means classic football design elements. I like there to be something decidedly idiosyncratic, signature, unique, contemporary-but-not-trendy, etc. that keeps it from looking dated. Something that makes me think, “Why is that like that?” and provides me enough clues to find the answer. The Panthers are ripe for that type of update if you ask me.

That's how you get the current Buccaneers and Browns uniforms. That being said, if Carolina moved to the Vapor template and made their stripes the same size UCLA uses they would look much better. I think the helmet stripe matching their pants would be an improvement too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's how you get the current Buccaneers and Browns uniforms.

 

But its also how you get the current Seahawks and Vikings uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Seahawks look was a downgrade from the neck down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Charlotte native, I feel like I have to say this: The Panthers have huge brand value here in North Carolina. After 2015, you can't go anywhere without seeing someone flying a Panthers flag or with a Panthers bumper sticker.

 

Also, I think the Panthers should switch to a black helmet with an oversized logo on the sides. An alternate electric blue helmet with a black oversized logo could go with the Color Rush uniforms. Other than that, there is really nothing I would change. Maybe change the pants striping, but that's not necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

As a Charlotte native, I feel like I have to say this: The Panthers have huge brand value here in North Carolina. After 2015, you can't go anywhere without seeing someone flying a Panthers flag or with a Panthers bumper sticker.

 

Also, I think the Panthers should switch to a black helmet with an oversized logo on the sides. An alternate electric blue helmet with a black oversized logo could go with the Color Rush uniforms. Other than that, there is really nothing I would change. Maybe change the pants striping, but that's not necessary.

 

Can't have 2 helmets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

 

Can't have 2 helmets.

Well, that's a shame. My bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

That Seahawks look was a downgrade from the neck down. 

 

Absolutely, compared to these beauties:

 

c5ff0f7c47979ac38a7a59fbd5a056ef.jpg

 

...but surely not compared to this circa aught-two AFC NFC identity crisis-era mono-swamp Glad Bag:

 

seattle-seahawks-matt-hasselbeck-photo_u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As a Panthers fan myself I would accept a few changes, but no more than tweaks. The biggest change I would welcome is either removing the white pants or dropping silver from the team's color palette altogether. The shoulder hoops could be unified across all uniform cuts and the logo saturation on the side could be toned down (mainly removing the logo from the side of the pants), but that's about it. I'd also have the Panthers wear all-black a little more (they're one of the few teams that can pull off a good all-black alternate look), and possibly all-blue, provided contrasting socks are used. Other than that? There's not a lot for them to do, though if they have to get a proprietary number font, I'd go with a font based on their current wordmark (possibly un-italicized) with a single outline.

 

I'm probably in the minority here, but I also like the helmet stripes, as they give somewhat of a "slashing" effect without being too in-your-face. That could be one way to solve the shoulder hoop issue. I'm of the same opinion with the logo, too. It needs some refining, but it doesn't give as much of an aged look as the original as well.

 

Aside from having a founder/owner who turned out to be a dirtbag, I do like the old-school feel and culture around the team, and it would be a shame to see that change with a new owner. It's as if the Panthers have existed a decade or two before their actual inception, and they had a more conservative look their look has remained virtually locked-in after a mid-to-late-1990s update. Which isn't the worst thing, considering all 3 (current) major-league pro teams in North Carolina should dress like it's 1996, whether it's in color (Panthers), design (Hurricanes' initial look), or both (Hornets). They don't need to change much, and while they have their flaws, one only need and see that the Panthers took the much smarter route than their 1995 expansion brethren of touching nothing instead of updating their look into oblivion:

 

hof14.jpg

 

Greg+Hardy+Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Caroli

 

CMC

 

Edited by DustDevil61
Old-school feel changed by new owner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 12:39 AM, Chawls said:

People say the Panthers look is timeless. I just don’t feel the same. I see too many things that can be improved upon. 

• Shoulder stripes 

• Helmet/pant stripes (lacks cohesion)

• white pants & silver pants? (Pick one tertiary color)

 

My main problem with the shoulder stripes, is that that design element is a product of its time, back when sleeves still existed on most players’ jerseys.

 

 With that no longer being the case in today’s game, that element needs to be updated somehow. I would suggest either tapering it, making it a full sleevecap, or simply getting rid of it altogether.  

———

SN: If the league ever does decide to do Throwback Thursday, then I would like to see the Panthers maybe bring these prototypes out. 

 

car+p.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 9:53 PM, the admiral said:

Jerry Richardson should work on a sex farm.

Trying to raise some hard love
Getting out my pitch fork
And poking your hay.

 

Couldn't resist a Spinal Tap reference even if it wasn't meant that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 12:18 PM, MJWalker45 said:

That's how you get the current Buccaneers and Browns uniforms. That being said, if Carolina moved to the Vapor template and made their stripes the same size UCLA uses they would look much better. I think the helmet stripe matching their pants would be an improvement too.

 

Personally, I find both those uniforms to be the epitome of trendy; shining examples of what not to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

 

Personally, I find both those uniforms to be the epitome of trendy; shining examples of what not to do.

We're definitely in agreement there. The same can be said for Jacksonville's helmets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 11:52 AM, MJWalker45 said:

That Seahawks look was a downgrade from the neck down. 

I have to agree.  I much prefer the slate blue, navy and neon green unis from the Matt Hasselbeck era to the current design with the blocky numbers and overuse of the feather motif.  Had the Seahawks not worn their uniform as a unitard with blue on blue and white on white, they would have been awesome.  Those slate jerseys with the navy sleeves and just hints of green were amazing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this