Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

I think the simplicity of the blue jersey only works because it's currently designated for BP/ST. It follows the template of several simple BP jerseys. If it was for use in regular season games it would need at least a front number but ideally it would have the Marlins wordmark instead. 

The slate gray is only on the underside of the fish and it's side fin and at the end of the tail and in the open mouth shape. The team calls it an official color but it's not used anywhere else.

I think seeing the jerseys in action for the last two weeks has shown how different this color scheme can be from the Heat's Vice colors which are sorta similar but in many ways are also very different.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Athletics’ yellow alternate looks good without a front number, unless someone is going to suggest — like pinstripes — it’s only acceptable because of the piping.

I just don’t feel any jersey is improved with a front number (whether the team used a logo or a wordmark), and if a team has one, their overall look would be improved by removing the number altogether. 

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

I think those blue-brimed hats, the BP hats with the full fish, and especially the blue jerseys show just how salvageable this rebrand is with only a few small tweaks.  I think they struck gold on that shade of blue and really need to emphasize it more.  I almost feel like this brand only works the way it was intended to when they do.

I wonder if the new brand will be incorporarted into some new uniform once Nike comes along.  Like maybe they went simple with Majestic since it was just for a season...

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

The Athletics’ yellow alternate looks good without a front number, unless someone is going to suggest — like pinstripes — it’s only acceptable because of the piping.

I just don’t feel any jersey is improved with a front number (whether the team used a logo or a wordmark), and if a team has one, their overall look would be improved by removing the number altogether. 

I for one have always felt that piping and/or a front number would be necessary to make the blue jersey less boring, so it doesn't necessarily have to be the number. The A's jersey pulls it off because they have conspicuous neck spoon piping and a logo that pops more off of the green background. To my eye, the Oakland logo also looks larger and more prominent.

The blue jersey needs something. Ideally they would scrap the cap logo concept and replace it with a wordmark.

5 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I for one have always felt that piping and/or a front number would be necessary to make the blue jersey less boring, so it doesn't necessarily have to be the number. The A's jersey pulls it off because they have conspicuous neck spoon piping and a logo that pops more off of the green background. To my eye, the Oakland logo also looks larger and more prominent.

The blue jersey needs something. Ideally they would scrap the cap logo concept and replace it with a wordmark.

That's kind of a key...if the logo is pretty large, no front number is needed.  But if the logo is small (like many left-chest logos in college)...then yeah, something is probably needed to cover up the empty space. The Marlins oughta make the M logo bigger on the jersey. And headspoon piping wouldn't hurt.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, daveindc said:

tumblr_pnbkomPAGZ1u7t2opo1_1280.png

tumblr_pnbku6RVDF1u7t2opo1_1280.png

tumblr_pnbkr1Fty51u7t2opo1_1280.png

Welp. This is what the new Marlins home looks like in the sun, and as expected it is very underwhelming. It's essentially a black and white uniform. Hopefully the Marlins will be less timid with their "colores" as time passes, and continue to improve the look. Just slapping a blue brim on the cap for this uniform isn't going to cut it. There needs to be tweaks made throughout.

Agreed. And I'm guessing it looks even worse in TV shots that aren't super close up. The powers that be need to abandon the nightlife/neon concept and fully embrace the vibrancy of their "colores."

The contrasting images between the blue alternates and home whites in the spring training photos make the pretty clear case that the Marlins should be emphasizing brightness/sunshine instead of darkness/nightlife. Unfortunately I think they are a little too committed to their 305 fetish to make these changes.

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That's kind of a key...if the logo is pretty large, no front number is needed.  But if the logo is small (like many left-chest logos in college)...then yeah, something is probably needed to cover up the empty space. The Marlins oughta make the M logo bigger on the jersey. And headspoon piping wouldn't hurt.

So I'm not alone in thinking that the logo looks proportionally smaller? The fabric color works well but whenever I see it, it just feels like a plain blue workout shirt. It hardly even resembles a baseball jersey with so little visual information.

The home whites look terrible on TV. I hardly even notice the color unless it's a close-up. The numbers pop much better than the wordmark does too. I can't imagine this was the aesthetic they were going for. Fix it please, Marlins, and actually embrace your colores!

I wouldn't say terrible... I think they look sharp, simple and clean but they're definitely heavy on the black and that's probably either you love it  or you hate it and want more brightness. Terrible implies a horribly ugly uniform to me. I wouldn't call these ugly.

I do think the cap logos are more visible than expected, the blue thread shows well in the sunlight. The helmet decals seem extra dark though. 

The big test for these white unis will be at Marlins Park with the roof closed (which is how they'll be seen most) as the indoor lighting is quite different than direct sunlight because of all the shadows in daylight. 

Photos: Marlins Wear New 2019 Home Uniform vs Cardinals Today

February 23, 2019 - 19:35 PM

Baseball’s back this afternoon(!) and with that, we’re getting our first look at the newest logo and uniform of the year in an actual game-like scenario. The Miami Marlins today decided to forego their Spring Training uniform and go out […]

Read More...

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I wouldn't say terrible... I think they look sharp, simple and clean but they're definitely heavy on the black and that's probably either you love it  or you hate it and want more brightness. Terrible implies a horribly ugly uniform to me. I wouldn't call these ugly.

I do think the cap logos are more visible than expected, the blue thread shows well in the sunlight. The helmet decals seem extra dark though. 

The big test for these white unis will be at Marlins Park with the roof closed (which is how they'll be seen most) as the indoor lighting is quite different than direct sunlight because of all the shadows in daylight. 

They look "simple" and "clean" because it's basically a traditional, (nearly) solid black wordmark on a white jersey. I'd say it's a bad sign for your branding and uniform design if they don't come to life during a sunny afternoon day (you know, how baseball's been played for 150 years) and need indoor stadium lights to actually see your "colores."

I agree on the helmets. It doesn't help that some of the players have pine tar on them, but it's hard to see the logos on players who aren't. They probably should have opted for shiny rather than matte, but the issue is with the design. The caps manage to work somewhat because of the embroidery.

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

It’s so painfully dull.

A front number would improve it a tiny bit, but they really need to go further than that to get things looking better.

They can keep their colores and wordmark templates. Just rethink their whole nightlife/neon motif, because it isn't working. It's almost like they didn't even make uniform prototypes before committing to their design package. They could make these look half decent if they embrace the blue. It's quite disconcerting that the MIA letters are placed on top of a black background in the FOX graphics package.

I recognize that there are plenty of Marlins fans who are satisfied or happy with the jerseys, but I can't imagine any of them believing that more color would not be a massive improvement.

4 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

it's a bad sign for your branding and uniform design if they don't come to life during a sunny afternoon day (you know, how baseball's been played for 150 years) and need indoor stadium lights to actually see your "colores."

I know you and I have basically opposite opinions but I strongly disagree with this line because it's just a fact that the Marlins play in a retractable roof ballpark 81 times a season so it's not a bad sign if that's where the uniforms look best because that's exactly where they should look best. 

This is like you saying "it's a bad sign if my shoes looks best on my feet." 

Archived