Los Angeles Kings Rebrand

DTConcepts

The Kings are a really disappointing club, visually. They have a great visual history in their purple and yellow past, but instead opt for a bland, black and silver look that's somehow overly complicated and too simplistic at the same time. Here's how I'd fix that.

zP5adQF.png

pw3nuMQ.png

qJQPVTa.jpg

7PlFiVG.jpg

The primary logo is a simplified version of their crown logo they use, while adding in the unique purple/yellow color scheme. The secondary logo is based on their current logo, except with the crown removed, and the 'LA' taking up the entire shield. The jerseys are essentially modernizations of their inaugural jerseys, keeping it fresh and modern while having some nods to the past.

That's really all I've got to say. What do you think?

I think the logo simplification went a little too far. It looks like (a really good) emoji version of the Kings' logo, but not strong enough to be the actual mark. Agree that the gray is unnecessary, but I'd keep the white numbers on the home. I'm personally not a fan of having yellow on white on numbers, as I think it makes them look fuzzy from far away, but it's a common choice so I wouldn't be surprised if you kept it.

20 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I think the logo simplification went a little too far. It looks like (a really good) emoji version of the Kings' logo, but not strong enough to be the actual mark. Agree that the gray is unnecessary, but I'd keep the white numbers on the home. I'm personally not a fan of having yellow on white on numbers, as I think it makes them look fuzzy from far away, but it's a common choice so I wouldn't be surprised if you kept it.

I was gonna say, it might be a smidge too minimalist, especially considering how detailed the OG crown logo used to be. I like pretty much everything about the look, I just think the logo could be a smidge more detailed/developed without compromising the polished/refined motif you've cultivated overall... I really like the yellow sleeves extending to the wrists, it has an ornate and "royal" feel to it

It’s got a Swedish tre kronor vibe to it, (well, 1/3 anyway)...

I really like this so far, but as mentioned, something is off about the use of black and silver. Maybe pick either black or silver but not both, and try different ways of outlining the logos because right now the crown with that black outline is just overpowering the purple and gold. Tough to blend those two very distinct color schemes together.

The logo is a much-needed simplification of the googly-eyed, abstract mess that is their current crown. If I would recommend one change to make: I think adding a silver outline to match the shoulder patch would really helping it pop against the purple background of the uniform.

Also, if anything's going to sell me on the Kings in purple and gold it's the addition of white as you've done here. The uniforms look fantastic.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I like how this is simpler than their actual crown logo, which is over-detailed.

On the crown, I would suggest having the black outline continue inward around the entire yellow crown rather than just following the outer path of the whole logo. It will help the colors interact consistently throughout the logo.

On the LA shield, I'd widen the gap between the lower L and the A so the width between them is more consistent with the rest of the logo.

Here are some updates based on the feedback from y'all.

g27gZWn.png

TVfjNRg.png

huu7irA.jpg

xF8GcMP.jpg

I added another black outline into the primary logo, as well as removing silver from the entirety of the identity. I couldn't find a good way to add more detail into the logo, although I agree that'd probably make it a tad better.

What do you think? Better or worse? Should I keep working on it?

The shape of the bottom of the crown makes it look unfinished.  The points at the ends of the curve draw me to the bottom of the logo and make me anticipate there being a head there.

VmWIn6B.png

I agree with the people saying the logos too simple.

The black outline kinda helps a bit, but I think it still is missing something small.

The LA shield logo is even simpler; maybe add a decorated border, or something on top?

As far as the colors, I feel like it might be better to ditch the black and keep silver.

The uniforms are cool, especially that original set with the silver outlines!

Only worry: the logo needs a white outline to not blend in on the purple jersey.

Still, I appreciate your attempt to incorporate multiple eras and simplify the Kings' at-times overcomplicated looks.

First and foremost, I strongly believe the logo needs to be raised way up on the jersey, close to being aligned with the numbers.

I also think that in order for this project to work, you should start with the teams current colors, and when you feel satisfied, switch to purple and yellow. Right now, the brightness of the colors is taking center stage to the whole project, and I think most of us could agree that the logo is a really great starting point and you're on to something here so let's focus on that aspect first.

With that said...I really enjoy the "LA" shield logo, along with the silhouette of the crown.

I do agree with others that it feels too simple, but not by much. Hopefully you won't get too drastic with changes because I have a feeling that the more subtle the changes are, the better the outcome will be.

I do feel that the point at the bottom seems unnecessary because it kind of drags your eyes to the bottom of the logo. Maybe make the black outline of that point be less prominent for starters? It may look better after that, not sure.

Archived