MLS 2007 Uni Changes

AJM

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on folks. The concept that the MLS branded to go after the non-soccer fan is bunk. Soccer was established at this point as a sport on both the spectator and the participant level. Back when I started playing in 1971 there was no such thing - five NASL teams (who could forget the Dallas Tornado? Awesome logo and kit). Whether you are a participant or a fan, here in the States (or Canada), you are used to a city, team name and consistant logo/branding. A league such as the MLS where things are split is folly. Naming a team after a product? Why do you think there is no Memphis Express in the NBA? The NFL had no problem in branding their Euro league with team names, logos and consistent branding. Is it Rhein AFC (American Football Club) or the Rhein Fire? NFL E fans don't have any trouble identifying with the teams and the way they are named/branded.

Granted the early MLS went overboard with its names (San Jose Clash, Tampa Bay Mutiny), and the NASL had their share of mistakes too (Oakland Stompers, Caribous of Colorado - possibly the alltime worst uniform of any sport), but at least you knew they were consistent. Real Salt Lake? A rip off. Real has nothing to do with Salt Lake.

That's why I always watched the NASL but I won't watch the MLS.

I'm looking at Fox Soccer Shop and they have the '06-'07 jerseys. I love the Galaxy colors and their look. I hope that they don't change just for change sake. I actually think the only reason they are changing is because they got Beckham (sorry if I killed the spelling), it's kind of like when the Kings got Gretz and happened to be changing the colors at the same time. It's an opportune time to change, but that would be like the Yankees changing because they got A-Rod or the Rangers because they got Messier.

Actually...it'd be more like the Yankees changing because they got Babe Ruth. Which, legend has it, the Yankees added their pinstripes to make the babe look slimmer...

Iconic superstar instead of all-time great player. There is a difference, although Babe certainly fit both rolls while Beckham does not.

Come on folks. The concept that the MLS branded to go after the non-soccer fan is bunk. Soccer was established at this point as a sport on both the spectator and the participant level. Back when I started playing in 1971 there was no such thing - five NASL teams (who could forget the Dallas Tornado? Awesome logo and kit). Whether you are a participant or a fan, here in the States (or Canada), you are used to a city, team name and consistant logo/branding. A league such as the MLS where things are split is folly. Naming a team after a product? Why do you think there is no Memphis Express in the NBA? The NFL had no problem in branding their Euro league with team names, logos and consistent branding. Is it Rhein AFC (American Football Club) or the Rhein Fire? NFL E fans don't have any trouble identifying with the teams and the way they are named/branded.

Granted the early MLS went overboard with its names (San Jose Clash, Tampa Bay Mutiny), and the NASL had their share of mistakes too (Oakland Stompers, Caribous of Colorado - possibly the alltime worst uniform of any sport), but at least you knew they were consistent. Real Salt Lake? A rip off. Real has nothing to do with Salt Lake.

That's why I always watched the NASL but I won't watch the MLS.

The business about NFLE teams being branded american style explains the fact youre trying to argue against. Its american football....with an american name. outside the US, i cant find many teams that are officially branded with a moniker. we dont hear "Arsenal Gunners vs. Liverpool Whites" (no relegation jokes). The MLS was absolutely branded for the non fan. it was the height of X sports and the teams got X names. as for a team being named for a product/company, take a look at german bundesliga. and by the way, Real Salt Lake does have a partnership with one of the Real's. I believe Madrid.

tradition does not exist in the MLS so people need to get over the fact that Galaxy are changing colors. BTW, they have not always been green and yellow. they started out in teal jerseys.

Beckham to LA is the same as Gretzky to LA. MLS folks are hoping it will do the same for thier league as Gretzky did for the NHL in warm weather cities. Kings changed their colors and logo back then, Galaxy are doing the same.

I am looking at the Galaxy trying to mimick Real Madrids jerseys. Real uses dark blue as secondary kit. I am hoping the Galaxy use all white as their primary like Madrid does. Adidas will have a big say in this uniform desgin. After all, alot of money is at stake here. this jersey will be one of the big sellers world wide. I will predict the jersey will have 3 stripes down the sleves. it will look alot like Reals jerseys, instead of black trim on the home white it will be dark blue.

If your goal is to be recognizable around the world, an american style name doesnt seem to work, no matter what color.

Why sacrifice your identity as an American team to get global recognition? Europe has it's way of naming their teams and we have ours. I wouldn't want to throw that away to get recognized. They could try and mix the two like Houston Dynamo (an American style name that evokes a the Russian team Dynamo Moscow et. al.) but I would want to to keep some indicator of American sports, besides the city of course. I like what Galaxy is doing here, they are keeping their Amiercan style name and changing their look to be more European (or at least that how I read the SI arcticle), that's the kind of fusion I'm talking about.

137967009_693820d686_o.jpg

Come on folks. The concept that the MLS branded to go after the non-soccer fan is bunk. Soccer was established at this point as a sport on both the spectator and the participant level.

I think that is demonstrably false.

If your assertion was correct, they wouldn't have given us a clock that counted backwards and stopped when the ref blew his whistle.

Overhauling the rules to make the game more akin to traditional American sports doesn't indicate that they were catering to an "established" soccer fanbase.

If your goal is to be recognizable around the world, an american style name doesnt seem to work, no matter what color.

Why sacrifice your identity as an American team to get global recognition? Europe has it's way of naming their teams and we have ours. I wouldn't want to throw that away to get recognized. They could try and mix the two like Houston Dynamo (an American style name that evokes a the Russian team Dynamo Moscow et. al.) but I would want to to keep some indicator of American sports, besides the city of course.

I don't mind the use of F.C. in the team names, but I thought Real Salt Lake was a weak name. They really should have tried to capture the Latin market with the name Pumas (Salt Lake Pumas or Pumas de Salt Lake), which would have also made them instant rivals with Chivas USA. I guess Real isn't bad now that RSL has a training agreement with Real Madrid, but as a BYU Cougar, it sure would have been cool to see a team called the Pumas playing in Rice-Eccles Stadium.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Which obviously explains the abject failure of the NFL, NBA and MLB to build markets overseas!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

to those complaining about the colors in MLS: how many teams in the EPL use red as a base? 8, including two in claret and blue and one in red with white stripes (a look used by at least two more teams in the Championship just one division down). 7 teams use blue. It happens; this is why they have change strips (and I *really* wish they'd go to a 'clash' rule as opposed to a hard home/away rule, just to bring the American game more in line with the international scene).

to those complaining about globalizing the MLS to mimic the rest of the world: isn't that what happens with American football teams and baseball teams around the world, just in reverse? I've made the argument before - there's a reason there are multiple teams with looks or names that are similar, it's because they copied or borrowed the design elements when soccer was starting. I don't think soccer can be held to the same ideal as the other American sports because it's not a sport with American roots.

on the Galaxy changing colors: I heard rumors earlier this week they were considering changing to the Laker colors, which would send Paul Lukas into an epileptic seizure but if they used purple as a home and yellow as an away I think it'd look good, keep one traditional Galaxy color (yellow) and be a nice tie to the city as well as to a tradition of European teams using purple - AC Fiorentina, Real Madrid traditionally as a change kit, one of the big Belgian teams and one of the big Austrian teams too. And nobody in MLS right now is using the color.

oh, and while I wish the Rapids would use it like West Ham or Aston Villa (with the shoulders), I love that Colorado kept their nickname (because it works alright) but changed to claret and blue. I *love* that. It's a perfect example of what the MLS should be doing IMO: blending European tradition with American style...though keep in mind, it's not a set dynamic, it's a bit of a sliding scale, though I don't think Real Salt Lake is a good name at all (Salt Lake Wanderers or Rovers would've rocked, bu that's just me).

harperdc.gif

Also as far as Europe naming teams one way. Rugby is different. The teams in the UK have a city name and nickname like US football teams. Also, the Aussies and Kiwi's teams are known by their nicknames and not the town they are from.

As far as the new uniforms . . . sleeveless? Sounds like they are trying to copy Puma in the origionality department. Camisoles? denim? I'm wondering if Alexi is trying to bring back the USA jerseys from World Cup 94. Which though I liked the look of both kits, denim doesn't match up with what i would associate with Los Angles. Denim is something i would apply to a blue collar city, not LA.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

on the Galaxy changing colors: I heard rumors earlier this week they were considering changing to the Laker colors, which would send Paul Lukas into an epileptic seizure but if they used purple as a home and yellow as an away I think it'd look good, keep one traditional Galaxy color (yellow) and be a nice tie to the city as well as to a tradition of European teams using purple - AC Fiorentina, Real Madrid traditionally as a change kit, one of the big Belgian teams and one of the big Austrian teams too. And nobody in MLS right now is using the color.

Where did you hear that?

The only thing I've heard about possible colors comes from the SI.com story:

2. Why should fans hold off buying a green-and-gold Galaxy jersey with Beckham's name on the back?

Simple answer: because Becks will never wear green and gold with the Galaxy. The team is deep into the process of rebranding itself with new colors, a new shield and new uniforms. "We made a decision that it was time to start thinking through how we create a more worldly brand," Lewieke says. "We have a good name. Galaxy works. But we need a more legendary, traditional kind of look that's more of a soccer look."

Leiweke predicts the new jerseys will be available in the next two months. What color will they be? "The last time I checked, when you're looking at a Galaxy it's not green or yellow. It's either black or dark blue," Leiweke says. Galaxy GM Alexi Lalas is more specific: "When I think of the Galaxy I think of dark blue."

perhaps I made that up then....gah. mind asplode.

As far as the new uniforms . . . sleeveless? Sounds like they are trying to copy Puma in the origionality department. Camisoles? denim? I'm wondering if Alexi is trying to bring back the USA jerseys from World Cup 94. Which though I liked the look of both kits, denim doesn't match up with what i would associate with Los Angles. Denim is something i would apply to a blue collar city, not LA.

wow....*passes some batteries* here, recalibrate your sarcasm and joke detector, man...

harperdc.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Colorado is now called Arsenal. offical changes come tomorrow afternoon. can u do a mockup of what a Colorado jersey would look like with the coloros of Arsenal's throwbacks from last season? maroon, gold, white? i guess they need some sky blue in there too.

jersey_arsenal_home_05_06.jpg

So is MLS just jacking all the premier league team names and such? As an "outsider" that's what it seems like to me. Real, Arsenal, all that.... Is there some hidden partnership with "European" leagues? What does Real mean anyway(in the soccer sense)? Can anyone help me figure that out?

Avsman.png

Dennis.gif

Have you ever looked at sports logos...ON WEED?

Archived