2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Tonight is the battle for the eight seed between the Eastern Conference's most disappointing teams this season, the Washington Capitals and the Buffalo Sabres. I am hoping that the Caps soundly win in regulation as the thought of a three-point game is unnerving.

Just for giggles, here's the remaining schedule for the Caps, Sabres, and Jets:

Caps:

3/27 vs Sabres

3/29 at Bruins

3/31 vs Canadiens

4/2 at Lightning

4/5 vs Panthers

4/7 at Rangers

Sabres:

3/27 at Capitals

3/30 vs Penguins

3/31 at Maple Leafs

4/3 vs Maple Leafs

4/5 at Flyers

4/7 at Bruins

Jets:

3/28 vs Rangers

3/30 at Hurricanes

3/31 at Lightning

4/3 at Panthers

4/5 at Islanders

4/7 vs Lightning

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blue Jackets have completely checked out.

Here's what I'd like to see happen this offseason:

- First and foremost, fire Scott Howson. They made the playoffs once during his time, and the rebuild was not only unsuccessful during his tenure, but the team is worse now than when he took over from Doug Maclean, which I didn't think was possible. He's proven that he doesn't have what it takes to win as an NHL general manager.

- name Craig Patrick the GM

- rid ourselves of anything and everything to do with Steve Mason. Trade him, take down evidence that he ever played here. Pictures of him with the Calder Trophy? Let's forget that ever happened.

- Do not promote Todd Richards from interim head coach to head coach.

- Get the first overall pick. Either win the lottery or trade Nash for it if the CBJ don't win.

- Don't market Yakupov to the Columbus fans as the savior of the franchise, putting the same unfair pressure that Rick Nash was forced to deal with from day one. In other words, don't rush Yakupov.

- Trade Rick Nash. I've accepted that this will happen and it's clear that building around this guy hasn't worked. Let's see what we can get for him.

- Don't move to Quebec City to save the Coyotes.

PvO6ZWJ.png

How the hell did the Panthers get such an easy, late-season road trip?

Montreal, Minnesota, and Columbus, before capping it in Detroit. No reason they shouldn't win those first three games.

If you go by pythagorean expectation/scoring differential the Habs are actually better than the Panthers :/

EDIT: the Habs have one more >1-goal victory than the Panthers do :/ :/

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I feel like Columbus still isn't too far off and if the GM makes some competent moves, it shouldn't take too long. Jack Johnson, Yakupov + another first round pick + whatever package they get for Nash should get them back on their feet. Most big-name players can bring in big packages when they're traded in the off season. I would expect Columbus to get at least what LA got for Richards. The only thing the Blue Jackets really have to worry about is goaltending, but there are quite a few back ups around the league that could be starting. It's gonna take a good GM with some slick moves, but I don't think Columbus is the worst situation in the NHL. Also, I wonder what Blue Jacket fans would prefer: Johnson + a first rounder, or Voracek + Couturier?

Oh, whatever. Sedin got his timeout one way or the other. I hope it teaches him to be less of a dirty player. Which he is. So whatever. Incidentally, I don't remember any of this hue and cry for lifetime suspensions when Joe Thornton concussed Jonathan Toews by repeatedly punching him in the head. Somehow the Blackhawks have gotten themselves into that funny rut where every bit of damage they incur is A Good Clean Hockey Play, evidently also including getting punched in the head. I think a lot of hit has to do with having fired Dale Tallon and doing wrong by the establishment, f'realz.

I could hear the True North shoutout quite loudly at the Predators game. Sounds like it's not just erstwhile Thrashers fans who made the trip.

Us Thrashers fans made sure our presence was known, too.

Heh, I always hated that whenever the fans yelled that out in Atlanta, but I got a laugh out of hearing it one more time. Don't know what ya got til it's gone. :P

I don't get it.... What's the significance of yelling "night"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Knights

oBIgzrL.png

- Get the first overall pick. Either win the lottery or trade Nash for it if the CBJ don't win.

That's not going to happen. Why would a team trade Yakupov, who will be cheap for 3 years, and has crazy potential, for a guy who has never reached 80 points and has a giant salary?

If you don't get the 1st overall, take Grigorenko and be happy.

That's just an unfortunate combination. "Crochkin?" Really?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That's just an unfortunate combination. "Crochkin?" Really?

It's also sucks that Ovechkin only has one number, so instead of having 2 whole numbers, he has Crosby's 8, and Ovie's 8 is cut in half....

At least he only did it with T-Shirts and not jerseys.

When you can't decide between one and another, just do this...

crochkin.jpg

I think an "Ovesby" shirt would have been a better call.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

- First and foremost, fire Scott Howson. They made the playoffs once during his time, and the rebuild was not only unsuccessful during his tenure, but the team is worse now than when he took over from Doug Maclean, which I didn't think was possible. He's proven that he doesn't have what it takes to win as an NHL general manager.

The fact that he didn't get fired back in the fall is beyond me.

Embarrassing performance by the Caps tonight.

No joke, this was an awful performance. I think one of us said it best, we beat teams when the games don't matter but when we play games when we have to do something, we choke.

Better polish off the golf clubs, & I honestly don't see Dale returning along with some other players, Caps need to trim some fat.

baltimoreravens.png

John Carlson has been terrible all year long. Slumping big time. Mike Green hasnt been himself since coming back, makes me wonder if hes not jiving with the new defensive scheme or if this is our new post concussion Mike Green.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

And yet, with a few fortuitous breaks, the Caps can still win the division over the wretched Panthers.

That's what I hope happens. As much fan as it is to make fun of the Panthers for having their arena filled with Penguins/Flyers/Rangers/(insert any NE US or Canadian team) fans, that doesn't make for a good playoff atmosphere at all.

spacer.png

Archived