City and Team Names That Sound "Cool"

TopCat

Didn't know where to put this. Thought it would get the most conversation here.

A couple buddies and I were talking about cities and states with names that sounded cool. The criteria can be whatever you want.

Personally I like the names Oakland and Tampa Bay for some reason. As for team nicknames I really like the Pacers.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oakland Raiders has to be the most badass team name ever.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

How long before this becomes a long list of everybody's favorite teams?

Cleveland Browns fans will make sure this doesn't happen.

5 posts in and Clevejacked.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Thought all three Seattle teams were/are pretty well named with the exception of the Pilots.

Arizona Diamondbacks, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bears/Bulls, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Pistons, Green Bay Packers, Houston Oilers, Miami Dolphins/Heat, Minneapolis Lakers, Minnesota NorthStars/Twins/Vikings, New England Patriots, New Jersey Devils, New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia 76ers/Eagles Phoenix Suns, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49ers I thought were/are pretty aptly named teams as well.

Sure there's probably a few I'm leaving off to that I really like as well.

Anything with some type of alliteration ----> San Jose Sharks, New York Knicks, or Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Florida State Seminoles, Michigan State Spartans, Buffalo Bills, Seattle SuperSonics are all great.

Other great names are Detroit Pistons, Miami Hurricanes, Virginia Tech Hokies, Charlotte Hornets, St. Louis Blues, Atlanta Braves, and Miami Heat. I also love names for any of the big Texas teams ----> Rangers, Stars, Mavericks, Cowboys, Texans, Spurs, Rockets, Astros, LongHorns.

Worst names include: Oklahoma City Thunder, Arkansas State RedWolves, Florida Panthers, Charlotte Bobcats, South Florida Bulls, NOLA Hornets,

Thought all three Seattle teams were/are pretty well named with the exception of the Pilots.

Seattle does have great team names. And strangely enough, the minor league hockey team may have the best of the bunch.

Milwaukee is the coolest sounding city name IMO.

That being said, I think the Milwaukee Brewers have the best sounding teamname. Perfectly balanced when spoken.

However, I feel like the Milwaukee Bucks have one of the worst sounding teamnames in the NBA (along with OKC and the Bobcats). Probably its because of the two hard k sounds.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

Seattle does have great team names. And strangely enough, the minor league hockey team may have the best of the bunch.

Them and Minnesota I think have been the best historically.

Twins, Lakers, Vikings and NorthStars. That's a great combination to have. Shame they lost the Lakers and NorthStars as names. Timberwolves is alright. Not a big fan of the Wild as a name but they make up for it with awesome sweaters.

Brewers and Bills are really solid as well. Forgot to mention those two from earlier.

Archived