The Nordiques unused jerseys

spyboy1

I posted an entry on my blog yesterday documenting how the widely accepted version of the Quebec Nordiques unused jersey has had the wrong colors all these years.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2012/04/setting-record-straight-quebec.html

Here is the relevant part of my story.

What has happened with the proposed Nordiques jersey is that somewhere along the way, the accepted colors for the jersey were changed, likely by a contributor to a jersey concepts forum, such as the Chris Creamer Sports Logo Community, and that one doctored image then began to be discovered through image searches, copied and reposted other places online without any regard for the context of the original recolored image, such as a companion statement by the person who altered the jerseys original colors explaining their motivation, such as: "I don't like the colors they were going to use. They would look dated in short order because of the trendy choices of teal and black. Here's what I would have done instead."

Nordiques_incorrectcolors.jpg

The widely accepted, incorrectly colored version of the Nordiques proposed jerseys

Here is the publicity photo of the proposed Nordiques home and road sweaters, reportedly being modeled by either Nordiques team executives or members of the media. We've seen the gentlemen in the photo attributed as being both.

1995-96Nordiquesjerseys.png

The only known photograph of the Nordiques new jerseys

This photo clearly shows the generous use of teal on both the home and road jerseys for:

the trim on the collars

the captain's C's

the sleeve numbers

the stripes on the arms

the background triangle behind the Siberian Husky's head in the crest.

Yes, while we are setting the record straight, it is a husky and not a wolf!

Additionally, the photo shows both jerseys also have black stripes on the arms, which is lacking in the accepted version online.

Why this readily available photograph of the actual jerseys, and the only known photo of the proposed jerseys, easily found with a basic google image search, has been so thoroughly ignored for so long by so many sources is beyond us, and it's time to set the record straight.

The commonly accepted colorizing of the proposed Quebec Nordiques new jerseys is wrong. Just plain wrong, as it has had the obvious use of the original teal and black converted to silver and periwinkle by some unknown party, which was then copied and repeated on several respected locations across the internet, eventually becoming the accepted version of what the club had planned.

Further evidence of our assertion can be found in a news brief from The Hockey News in April of 1995, which reads:

Nordiques will have new look in 1996-97

Compiled by the THN Staff

The Quebec Nordiques don't have a new arena yet, but a new logo and colors are on the way.

When the Journal de Quebec published the Nordiques' new colors March 30, the team had no choice but to confirm the makeover.

The team's road jersey will be dark blue with a few lines of a teal-like green color, black, white, and silver. The crest has a large head of a husky dog with its teeth bared. They will sport their new colors in 1996-97 and not next season (1995-96) because they failed to meet the NHL's deadline for a logo change.

There's no mention of periwinkle, lavender or light purple. None.

Using the original photo of the actual jerseys, here is what the correct version of the Nordiques unused jerseys should actually look like - a much bolder, brighter and higher contrast look which uses the trendy colors of teal and black that were all the rage in the mid-1990's rather than the incorrectly colored, widely accepted version with it's dull, muted colors found so commonly online.

Nordiques_proposedsm.jpg

Please feel free to spread the word and save the above image, as well as using it wherever and whenever you find the need, especially when you can use it to replace the incorrect version so commonly found online.

In addition, here is the correctly colored logo of the husky dog, of which the full size version is available by clicking here.

Nordiques_proposed_correct_color_logo-1.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always wondered if these would have stuck and lasted through the early 2000s, and what would have happened when the NHL switched to the Edge. Would there have been a rally cry from the fans for the Nords to return to their classic uniforms like the Sabres and Oilers?

70389454.png

By "classic", you mean "old". It was never good. (Neither is this logo.)

The purple/teal/black/white does have an appeal as a color palette; I suppose that's why it worked so well for the original Orlando Solar Bears.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I've actually only ever seen the correct version with the teal. I have never seen the incorrect version until this thread. I always thought it was generally accepted and known that they were going to incorporate teal into their look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Great work on correcting the accepted history! Far too often, we simply accept things for what they are when there's obvious evidence to the contrary. This definitely should be corrected, on the mothership and elsewhere, and right here is where the rally started. Keep fighting the good fight!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Actually, that teal looks brighter than even what you have there. Maybe it's the flash of the camera, but it's bright. Does Colorwerx have the correct specs on those? I'm afraid you might not have gone far enough, believe it or not.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Actually, that teal looks brighter than even what you have there. Maybe it's the flash of the camera, but it's bright. Does Colorwerx have the correct specs on those? I'm afraid you might not have gone far enough, believe it or not.

Don't have the official color specs for those, unfortunately.

I've actually only ever seen the correct version with the teal. I have never seen the incorrect version until this thread. I always thought it was generally accepted and known that they were going to incorporate teal into their look.

Same here, strangely enough. Generally I think of the teal first and it's the blue I forget (or rather, incorrectly remember as purple). As I was reading I was wondering how that photo was going to end up "wrong." Good research, though.

Archived