2014 MLS Changes

kw11333

From the Fire's release:

http://m.chicago-fire.com/news/2014/03/release-chicago-fire-soccer-club-unveils-2014-primary-kit

This years look is inspired by the fire trucks of City of Chicago, said Mike Walker, global product manager at adidas North America. They have a distinctive look with a dark top, a band and red throughout the bottom half. Not only does this give a nod to the Chicago Fire Department, but its also a very iconic element of the city itself. We also thought it was so compelling to see the light blue color of the Chicago flag represented so powerfully across the front band of the kit.

Also "31 percent lighter" -- seriously.

Bold highlights the absurdity.

Fire supporters' chief complaint about the switch from a white stripe to navy was the elimination of the fire truck tribute. This does not change that at all.

ENGINE_62__FDD641__2007_SPARTAN_-_CRIMSO

And does anyone see a powerful use of powder?

Bh5qR_uCMAAZAfu.jpg

Are the light blue lines supposed to look like a close up of a tv screen? I don't get it, especially when it negatively effects the sponsor logo. Odd.

Pretty sure it's supposed to evoke this:

Quaker_Quick-1_Minute_Oats.jpg

...not a fire truck.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a disgrace that Adidas have basically changed the design for the replica Toronto away!! Here in England it is very rare or unheard of for people to buy the authentic one? The replicas are always made to look exactly the same so why the mls jerseys have to look so different is beyond me!! Would be fair if replica had none stitched flag etc but to not have one and not have maple leaf design! I'm worried about my USA team Orlando! I don't want to have to pay an extra $30 for the real kit!

Typical adidas shenanigans. Similar situation with the Union's new primary shirt. The big feature are the pinstripes on the front and back. Except...

Authentic:

63384.RE11.jpg

Replica:

63267.RE11.jpg

What happened to the fan designed Chicago Fire third jersey that was supposed to come this year?

I want to say they're unveiling it later in the season when they first wear it, but that's just going off memory.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That's a disgrace that Adidas have basically changed the design for the replica Toronto away!! Here in England it is very rare or unheard of for people to buy the authentic one? The replicas are always made to look exactly the same so why the mls jerseys have to look so different is beyond me!! Would be fair if replica had none stitched flag etc but to not have one and not have maple leaf design! I'm worried about my USA team Orlando! I don't want to have to pay an extra $30 for the real kit!

Typical adidas shenanigans. Similar situation with the Union's new primary shirt. The big feature are the pinstripes on the front and back. Except...

Authentic:

63384.RE11.jpg

Replica:

63267.RE11.jpg

Why does asides only do this for MLS kits only? You would never see this for an BPL or La Liga club. Disgraceful as always....

I guess it's because American customers are used to it. It's the same for NBA jerseys. My knowledge on the other big three is low so I would let someone else bring more examples.

MLB doesn't have uniform patches on their replicas. They also use cheap block single color numbers if you customize them. As far as the NFL, the sleeves and lack of flywire seem to be the big differences.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I guess it's because American customers are used to it. It's the same for NBA jerseys. My knowledge on the other big three is low so I would let someone else bring more examples.

MLB doesn't have uniform patches on their replicas. They also use cheap block single color numbers if you customize them.

Actually, MLB switched to the teams' custom number font a couple years ago. You could be right about the patches, though.

MLB doesn't have uniform patches on their replicas. They also use cheap block single color numbers if you customize them.
Actually, MLB switched to the teams' custom number font a couple years ago. You could be right about the patches, though.
Yeah, MLB replicas have never, to my knowledge, had sleeve patches. The switch from generic block numbers to team-specific fonts happened at the same time Majestic switched from full embroidery to screened twill. MLB replicas have never been worth the price in my book - I always seek out authentics.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Because Vergara was ostensibly planning a name from Chivas USA to either LAFC or LASC, and MLS wants those trademarks handy to include in any sale package that the new owners would purchase.

In addition, since Chivas only retains its current name through this season, in the event that MLS is unable to find a buyer, then an easy rebrand to one of those two identities would be in the cards.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Because Vergara was ostensibly planning a name from Chivas USA to either LAFC or LASC, and MLS wants those trademarks handy to include in any sale package that the new owners would purchase.

In addition, since Chivas only retains its current name through this season, in the event that MLS is unable to find a buyer, then an easy rebrand to one of those two identities would be in the cards.

Thanks for the clarification

Archived