Nordiques or Expos?

Tigers6884

If I was running the NHL I'd have a team in Quebec City (the Phoenix Coyotes), but I can also see why the league isn't eager to go back to a small market that is predominantly french speaking. Though I predict that when they go back it'll be Winnipeg east and it'll be a smashing success.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it could be a situation like the Jets or what we all hope will happen when the Islanders move to Brooklyn - doesn't matter if the market or arena is smaller if it ends up with more people coming out to the games.

I'd like to think the NHL would prefer markets, regardless of size, that are so enthusiastic about the product that it shows on a TV screen, much like it does for Winnipeg games. Then again, we've been wrong about the NHL before.

With Tropicana Field falling apart and remaining an empty stadium in Tampa and Pheonix having less fans than a pee wee hockey game, it is likely that the Rays' and Coyotes' days are numbered. Where should these teams relocate to?", you may ask. I believe that the province of Quebec comes up as a potential relocation spot for both teams. Who do you think has the better chance of a return in the future: Les Expos or the Nordiques?

Wait, Tropicana Field is falling apart? Since when? As I recall they just spent a couple million dollars upgrading the outfield. I think you might be confusing the nearly 50 year old Oakland Coliseum with the only 20 year old Tropicana Field.

100% full arena every night in an 15,000 capacity arena in city of 1 million where most of the population cares about the sport and team >>>>>> 50% full arena in a 19,000 capacity arena in a city of 4 million where only a fraction cares about the sport and team.

I don't think there's currently a demand for the return of baseball in Montreal, yet. At least not without a new downtown stadium.

There's a massive demand for NHL hockey in Quebec City. And as far as I know, a new arena is moving forward regardless of the promise of a tenant.

Hockey will never be successful in Phoenix. As much as I love to see sports, especially hockey, succeed in non-traditional markets, as it has in San Jose, L.A., Anaheim, Nashville, Tampa, Carolina, Dallas for the most part, it's just not going to happen.

I realize that all of those franchises have either won Stanley Cups or have been consistently successful, which of course helps with their fan support.

Cut your losses and move to a proven market. It worked with Atlanta to Winnipeg.

sig.png

With Tropicana Field falling apart and remaining an empty stadium in Tampa and Pheonix having less fans than a pee wee hockey game, it is likely that the Rays' and Coyotes' days are numbered. Where should these teams relocate to?", you may ask. I believe that the province of Quebec comes up as a potential relocation spot for both teams. Who do you think has the better chance of a return in the future: Les Expos or the Nordiques?

Wait, Tropicana Field is falling apart? Since when? As I recall they just spent a couple million dollars upgrading the outfield. I think you might be confusing the nearly 50 year old Oakland Coliseum with the only 20 year old Tropicana Field.

Ah, yes! But Tropicana still remains a cavernous and empty stadium, and there's no sugarcoating that.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I forgot about, but was just reminded that, the Toronto Blue Jays are going to play a couple of exhibition games against the New York Mets in Olympic Stadium in Montreal on the 28th and 29th of this month. I hope the game will be televised, because I want to see how many Expos fans will show up.

Just checked and the first game (March 28th) will be on MLB Network at 7:00. What's interesting is that I think I heard somewhere that they will honor the 1994 Expos in a pregame ceremony.

Hockey will never be successful in Phoenix. As much as I love to see sports, especially hockey, succeed in non-traditional markets, as it has in San Jose, L.A., Anaheim, Nashville, Carolina, Dallas for the most part, it's just not going to happen.

Because it goes so swimmingly in those markets as well.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Hockey will never be successful in Phoenix. As much as I love to see sports, especially hockey, succeed in non-traditional markets, as it has in San Jose, L.A., Anaheim, Nashville, Carolina, Dallas for the most part, it's just not going to happen.

They're both well supported franchises, especially considering both markets are extreme hotbeds for other things, notably college football, college basketball, Nascar and inbreeding (totally joking). And neither franchise has dipped below 82% attendance for a year as others (Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida) have.

sig.png

They're both well supported franchises, especially considering both markets are extreme hotbeds for other things, notably college football, college basketball, Nascar and inbreeding (totally joking). And neither franchise has dipped below 82% attendance for a year as others (Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida) have.

Hahahaha, inbreeding.......

Is 82% a benchmark of some sort? Seems random.

I think capacities will get smaller to create more demand and the impression of a better atmosphere. If a stadium gets built in Montreal it won't have 50,000 seats.

It's also why I don't think the NHL would mind setting up shop in Key Arena or Bradley Center for longer periods than the NBA was/is willing to. It's too bad the hockey arena footprint is larger, because the more intimate NBA-first arenas aren't really good fits.

Question for you guys- since the Coyotes have moved to Glendale and are going to be called the Arizona Coyotes- do you think Phoenix will get another team? Like what happened in Minneapolis or Winnipig?

Hahahahahahaha, another team for Phoenix...... My answer is no.

They didn't move, it was just a name change.

The Coyotes have been playing in Glendale, which is essentially Phoenix for several years now. They're just playing to the Glendale city council who gave them money to stay by changing to Arizona instead of Phoenix. And if they're failing, how the hell would a second team in a failing market succeed? And don't claim by a better on-ice product because the 'Yotes have actually been winning. It's just no one wants to watch them play on ice in the desert.

Cut your losses and move to a proven market. It worked with Atlanta to Winnipeg.

It worked--for now. Let's see how the attendance is when the novelty is off, the cap is a lot higher, they still stink, and oh hey look what's happening to the Canadian dollar...

1zgyd8w.jpg

It worked--for now. Let's see how the attendance is when the novelty is off, the cap is a lot higher, they still stink, and oh hey look what's happening to the Canadian dollar...

As for the money behind the Jets...you're aware they're owned by one of the richest men in North America, right?

I know you won't answer this question, because you never answer this question, but I'll try again for the hell of it. Why the hate for Canadian franchises on your part? You cheerlead for Atlanta and Phoenix but Winnipeg is the blight on the NHL according to you?

Question for you guys- since the Coyotes have moved to Glendale and are going to be called the Arizona Coyotes- do you think Phoenix will get another team? Like what happened in Minneapolis or Winnipig?

It could be a resurrection of the Roadrunners name. Imagine the rivalry and the merchandise they could sell with the coyote and roadrunner!!!

Teal's Proud Father

...but Winnipeg is the blight on the NHL according to you?

Like Winnipeg isn't a blight on North America in general?

:upside:

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

...but Winnipeg is the blight on the NHL according to you?

Like Winnipeg isn't a blight on North America in general?

:upside:

I've been to Winnipeg once, a few years before the Thrashers moved north. Maybe my expectations were just really low but I didn't find it to be absolutely terrible! [/ArrogantOntarian]

It could be a resurrection of the Roadrunners name. Imagine the rivalry and the merchandise they could sell with the coyote and roadrunner!!!

Like I said, it was just a name change. Having two teams in the desert would just make things worse.

Archived