Nordiques or Expos?

Tigers6884

Aren't the separatists making noise again? Weird, I thought the PQ was basically eradicated in the last round of elections in favor of the NDP.

The Bloc Quebecois was basically eradicated by the NDP, but that's federal politics. The Parti Quebecois is the provincial party, and they seem to be getting support again. They probably aren't helping the professional-sports cause, anyhow.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's interesting is that support for the PQ isn't translating into support for separatism. They're the de facto left wing party in Quebec, so they seem to be getting the progressive Francophone vote regardless of if those progressive Francophones are sepratists or not.

There was a pretty good segment on TSN before the game last night, talking about feasibility studies of a new franchise in Montreal, blah, blah and it seemed to be very doable.

But, it was also pointed out that no current team is in desperate shape enough to relocate. Both the Rays and A's with their stadium issues, are still making money and are very successful.

I don't doubt the Rays are making money with baseball's lucrative national tv money, but it should be pointed out that Forbes states that the Rays are MLB's least valuable franchise.

Does baseball have a lucrative tv deal? I thought regional deals were bigger for teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Does baseball have a lucrative tv deal? I thought regional deals were bigger for teams.

I read somewhere, Forbes probably, that 2014 is the first year the new deals with Fox, ESPN and Turner kick in to a tune of about $1.5B annually. I don't get it. Everything I read is despite this, baseball audience is shrinking and getting older. I believe MLBAM generates over $600M annually. The Rays' local tv deal isn't all that impressive however.

On TSN's The Reporters this morning, they said that it's not impossible for an MLB team to be in Montreal but very unlikely, no matter how many straws people here grasp at.

They estimated that it will be around 1 billion dollars to get a team in Montreal, half to buy a team and half to build a stadium. However they say there's no owner or any interest what so ever from any party to get a team into Montreal. They also compared these games to the NFL games in London and Toronto, they don't mean much besides promoting the brand and spreading a sense of show and belonging to those cities.

Here (should) be the video: http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?found=the%20reporters&show=316048

IbjBaeE.png

Right. Put that team in a contender-hungry market like the Northside of Chicago or even Seattle, and they sell out every game.

I mean, who knows what would happen with a nice, easily accessible stadium right in Tampa . They may get gate numbers. But as I mentioned, they're still not in horrendous shape.

Wait, you're saying Chicago or Seattle should have multiple teams as Montreal hungrily looks on?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Right. Put that team in a contender-hungry market like the Northside of Chicago or even Seattle, and they sell out every game.

I mean, who knows what would happen with a nice, easily accessible stadium right in Tampa . They may get gate numbers. But as I mentioned, they're still not in horrendous shape.

Wait, you're saying Chicago or Seattle should have multiple teams as Montreal hungrily looks on?

No, he's saying put a team of the Rays talent in a place where winning in sports in expected but the current baseball teams haven't been doing so well and the fans will show up. He's using the Cubs (Northside of Chicago) and the Mariners (Seattle) as examples where the other teams in the city are good or have been good in the past (Blackhawks, Bulls, Bears, Seahawks) but the baseball teams flounder in the standings. He's not saying putting other teams in Chicago or Seattle, he's saying a hypothetical situation where a team of the Rays caliber is in those cities instead of the current teams.

Chicago already has multiple MLB teams and Montreal isn't hungrily looking on, no matter what some here say.

IbjBaeE.png

2 preseason games a decade after the MLB team bailed =/= supporting an MLB team full time.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Aren't the separatists making noise again? Weird, I thought the PQ was basically eradicated in the last round of elections in favor of the NDP.

They were wiped out at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

Dooku_Gunray_arena.png

He was talking about a political group; not star treck.

Teal's Proud Father

They were wiped out at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

Dooku_Gunray_arena.png

He was talking about a political group; not star treck.

facepalm.jpg

No, he's saying put a team of the Rays talent in a place where winning in sports in expected but the current baseball teams haven't been doing so well and the fans will show up. He's using the Cubs (Northside of Chicago) and the Mariners (Seattle) as examples where the other teams in the city are good or have been good in the past (Blackhawks, Bulls, Bears, Seahawks) but the baseball teams flounder in the standings. He's not saying putting other teams in Chicago or Seattle, he's saying a hypothetical situation where a team of the Rays caliber is in those cities instead of the current teams.

Chicago already has multiple MLB teams and Montreal isn't hungrily looking on, no matter what some here say.

Lol yeah I didn't think it needed a full explanation. Put a good team that gets no support where a bad team exists that gets good support. HYPOTHETICALLYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sig.png

Star Treck? yikes.

If the Rays had a new stadium, attendance would increase greatly the first 5-7 years, but I am not sure that attendance would stick around. tropicana field in itself isn't a bad stadium, but the location of the stadium and proximity of the stadium for fans is just downright horrible.

Star Treck? yikes.

If the Rays had a new stadium, attendance would increase greatly the first 5-7 years, but I am not sure that attendance would stick around. tropicana field in itself isn't a bad stadium, but the location of the stadium and proximity of the stadium for fans is just downright horrible.

Yes when I went to the trop this summer i really liked the stadium, but it was a bitch to get to, and even harder to get out of, i also dont know too much about the Tampa area it seemed like the ghetto

Archived