Photoshop Advice Megathread

Darth Brooks

QUESTION

I am using an older version of Photoshop, CS3 I believe. What is the best way to draw a clean line (like a stripe on an uniform) that has clean edges?

Usually, I use the Pen Tool to make the lines and curves, and then right click, convert to Brush Tool or whatever. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

^^ I use thin rectangles quite a bit when I'm doing stripes.

But how do you make curves? For instance, look at the sleeve stripes on the new Minnesota Vikings uniforms. On stripe has a radius to it, increasing the width.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd like to get 2-5 suggestions, give them all a try, and figure out which works best for me.

You can use the eliptical Marquee tool & also can use the circle thin frame shape tool

Do you have a short tutorial or just a couple screen shots you can post? Once I have some time, I'll post a quick tutorial on how I make my line/stripes and curves.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I need some help making an element for a logo. I am trying to arc text and am having some difficulty with it.

What I am going for is something like this: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/files/2012/01/northdakotajersey.jpg and/or this: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/ae/caed7fee-8fe0-11e4-9273-cbe7cdc65c5e/54a23174cbb18.image.jpg?resize=960%2C611

But what I'm getting is the text arced but the letters are all warped and it just looks awful. I would post a picture of what I have but I'm new to this thread thing and haven't figured that bit out yet.

FYI what I'm trying to do is an Indiana Hoosiers logo with "Indiana" arced on top and "Hoosiers" arced on the bottom and maybe the trident logo inside the text circle if that makes sense.

So if anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

logo%20copy_zpszsofp1gh.png signature%20copy_zpstrwmpyrx.png logo%20copy_zpszsofp1gh.png

@D_Parky

I need some help making an element for a logo. I am trying to arc text and am having some difficulty with it.

What I am going for is something like this: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/files/2012/01/northdakotajersey.jpg and/or this: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/ae/caed7fee-8fe0-11e4-9273-cbe7cdc65c5e/54a23174cbb18.image.jpg?resize=960%2C611

But what I'm getting is the text arced but the letters are all warped and it just looks awful. I would post a picture of what I have but I'm new to this thread thing and haven't figured that bit out yet.

FYI what I'm trying to do is an Indiana Hoosiers logo with "Indiana" arced on top and "Hoosiers" arced on the bottom and maybe the trident logo inside the text circle if that makes sense.

So if anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

My method for this is to draw a circle with the ellipse tool, then take your text tool and hover it over the shape. When the cursor looks like it has a line through it, click and you can now type in the shape you just created. If you need to move the text or put it on the inside of the circle, use the convert point tool to do that. Hope that helps, if not, I can take some screenshots.

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank both Darth Brooks and Marble21. Thanks to Darth for creating this thread and to marble for uploading that color channel video. I've been racking my brain as to how to change the color of a player's uniform until I saw the video. Then I was wondering how to add stripes when I finally read the first page rather than skimming over it. Took some exploration but I finally figured it out.

We have yet to learn any of this stuff in my graphic design class, so hopefully this will help me in my future projects. I was also able to (kinda sorta) make a custom uniform based on the Green Bay Packers jersey and a logo I created. Now that I found a nice template, I can finally start making photoshop concepts this summer! Thanks guys!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Sorry for the back-to-back posts, but I've already ran into an issue :/

Whenever I try adding logos, stripes, etc to a template, I use the multiply option. It works great on white helmets, jerseys, and pants, but if it's a colored background, then it changes the color of whatever I add on. I know I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Whenever I try adding logos, stripes, etc to a template, I use the multiply option. It works great on white helmets, jerseys, and pants, but if it's a colored background, then it changes the color of whatever I add on. I know I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

First, learn how the multiply blend mode works. You will see why I am suggesting what I say below. There are many articles and youtube tutorials as this is a very commonly used layer mode. Read/watch enough of them until you understand.

It sounds like you have your layers set up the wrong way round. The template design should be at the top in multiply mode. All of the logos, stripes and other design features should be below in normal mode.

EDIT: The above only really applies to a flat template. If you are using a photorealistic template, you could put all of your stripes, logos etc into a folder and set the folder to multiply with all of the layers inside the folder set to normal.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

First, learn how the multiply blend mode works. You will see why I am suggesting what I say below. There are many articles and youtube tutorials as this is a very commonly used layer mode. Read/watch enough of them until you understand.

It sounds like you have your layers set up the wrong way round. The template design should be at the top in multiply mode. All of the logos, stripes and other design features should be below in normal mode.

EDIT: The above only really applies to a flat template. If you are using a photorealistic template, you could put all of your stripes, logos etc into a folder and set the folder to multiply with all of the layers inside the folder set to normal.

Even in a realistic template, it's best to have your shadow/highlight layers on top, and your graphics underneath. Go back and look at the first few pages of this thread, Darth does a good job laying it out.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the response. I was able to figure it out.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Now on to using masks.

Masks are a way of cutting a area of an image without destroying it. Masking a layer is an incredibly flexible way of handling a section of an image. To show you this in action we're going to work with a dandelion. The point of this demo is to show how you can make very fine selections

MxBbTyf.jpg

Wikipedia is providing the dandelion. First, look at the channels tab. We're looking for the one with the most contrast between what we want to get rid of and what we want to keep.

1FSyKHW.jpg

The blue channel is the best for this little demo. The channel you'll choose will vary image by image. Next, increase the contrast as gently as you can. You want the stuff you're going to keep to be white and the stuff you're getting rid of black. Whether you work in black first and then invert the image is up to you. Sometimes that works out best.

qeVNVwE.jpg

In progress.

x9xz2L0.jpg

This is what you want to end up with.

Next, go to Select>Load Selection> whatever you named that channel as, then hit the Add Vector Mask button.

photoshop-layer-mask.jpg

This is the result. The Dandelion is separated with all the little detail preserved.

En2iAAa.jpg

Because this is a Sports Logo board, here's the Dandelion on a football field.

lKBCMWJ.jpg

I did have to do a little adjusting. The exterior edges still kept some of the greens, so I made a duplicate layer. The first layer is cut in a little. Loading the selection again, I feathered the edge, then deleted the selection. This cut in the edge. The layer below was set to Screen. That gave the image that very light edge that Dandelions have.

So how does this apply to football?

We'll take another look at our football player.

ENNy0Oa.jpg

I cleaned up the image a little bit, removing the players in the back and cropping it down to where it's focused on the player. The original is washed out so I increased the contrast. First thing up is the grass. I wanted to work on the light and dark parts of the grass separately. The black and white is a division between colors that were lighter or darker and they probably weren't the same colors.

I used the method above to made a mask for the darker colors and below it I did the greens and such. Without the original image it looked like this.

CdBjfop.jpg

(note that there's a layer for the white lines as well)

Put together it looks like this.

glPjiVn.jpg

You'll also note that the layers for the grass are in their own folder, which has a layer mask of it's own to keep the grass off the player, which has to be a first.

Really Very nice ....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...