All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks Thanks. I'd be curious to track this as it gets closer to closing time to see if anyone makes a mysterious rise up the charts
  3. Things have been a little too down to earth, let's get weird with it today. Buccaneers: The Buccaneers brand takes much of its inspiration from Spanish privateers of the 1600s. The jersey features an orange chest stripe on a red jersey, inspired by spain's yellow and red flag. One of the great things about their pewter helmets and pants is that they translate perfectly to faux leather pants and helmets. Carolina: It's been a while since I've used the old school leather strips design on a team. Carolina features these strips in light blue, arranged in a manner to form a crown, based on Charlotte's nickname, the Queen City, and logo, a crown. While the original version of this jersey would've been all light blue, the modern version includes a black front number to improve visibility as well as incorporate the Panthers' other primary color. The helmet design features panther ears on each side of the helmet in place of an old school wings. While a panther is famously black, I decided to go with white ears, as in many cases actual animal colors were completely ignores (see: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles). Finally, there's been a lot of dark brown for pants, but there was actually some variation during the earliest days of the game, with some teams opting for a more tan color for their pants. Saints: They're not going to get more over the top than this one from here on out. The Saints take most of inspiration not from American Football, but from Rugby. More specifically I wanted a design inspired by Harlequins' four quarter jersey design. Functionally, this wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility in the NFL, as multiple teams wore horizontally halved jerseys and at least one team wore a vertically halved jerseys. I just combined the two ideas for quadrants. Here, the saints pair the traditional gold and black with green and purple for a full mardi gras color scheme. The bottom left quadrant contains purple, the top right quadrant green, and the other two quadrants black. The numbers are Clarendon in gold and feature shoulder numbers, a purposeful anachronism (I don't know why, but I've always enjoyed throwback mistakes like the 94-95 49ers). The helmet features a wing style inspired by the famous three pronged jester hats, each colored in purple, black, and green respectively on the gold helmet. Falcons: The Falcons bring us back down to earth with a considerably more traditional design. Pairing shoulder yokes and sleeve stripes wasn't uncommon in the 1920s, and I felt combining the two would work with the Falcons' color scheme. The jersey features a red shoulder yoke with red sleeves contrasting the white jersey. On the sleeves is an alternating black, white, and red sleeve pattern that, if the sleeves were long like during the actual era, would repeat to the sleeve cuff. The socks while also red, feature a different stripe pattern with black and red stripes eventually meeting the black, white, red stripe pattern at the bottom of the sock. Both the helmet and pants are very traditional to the era; the pants are a light tan while the helmet is painted with black on top and red on the bottom.
  4. And there is no way the NBA won't give the expansion teams to Seattle and Las Vegas as you said earlier It did make for a great laugh though and let's not get started on the logo lol
  5. Here's the poll as of the time of this post: So like I proclaimed before, the name is going to be already is Yeti(s)...
  6. So are we expecting the Golden State WNBA Team to have a similar color scheme to the Warriors?
  7. Someone went to college for four years, earned a marketing degree, got a job with a high buck agency, and tossed that on the table. Amazing. Simply amazing.
  8. They do know that the Boston Celtics exist right? Right?
  9. Once Seattle and Grand Canyon leave, wouldnt Utah Tech, Utah Valley and Southern Utah be the next 'geographical outliers' in the conference? If not, maybe Cal Baptist, which I'm a bit surprised that they didn't yet get an invite to the WCC; as they are a religious affiliation-based private school.
  10. There will be some panic setting in because they are losing their best performing school in Grand Canyon. But there will be no tears shed to see Seattle leave. The Redhawks were the biggest geographical outlier in the WAC, bar none. With them gone, the conference can shift their focus on being based in the southwest.
  11. Are you implying Missouri State is NOT west of the Mississippi River?
  12. I've always thought Black Diamonds would be a good name for a sports team in a mountainous area. It's unique without being too amateur sounding, and diamond shapes/patterns are incredibly underused in sports. Even in baseball, a sport played on a diamond with a team called the Diamondbacks, there aren't any diamond logos aside from the White Sox secondary that they hardly use.
  13. In a way, not using any name with "red" in it may have helped Washington. If Washington used a name with "red" in it immediately, there likely would have been several slipups. Look at how long it took for people to stop saying "San Diego" Chargers. Now that a few years have passed, it may be easier to say Red-etc. without slipping up.
  14. Occasionally minor-league teams will use henley-style jerseys, and they always looked sort of cheap and softball-ish to me. It was also kind of a thing in the majors in the early 80s. Can't say it does anything for me.
  15. Grand Canyon and Seattle expected to join the WCC, effective fall 2025: https://wccsports.com/news/2024/5/10/general-west-coast-conference-adds-grand-canyon-university-and-seattle-university-as-members.aspx If that is official, this would spell danger for the WAC as a conference from a standpoint of stability, and lack of interest or will to explore expansion (unless if it's 'strictly and solely' within just D-I schools, which is highly impossible.)
  16. Unless there was a change that hasn't been noted in the college football thread, looks like EA got the logos wrong on Notre Dame's sleeves.
  17. If Tampa Bay taught us anything, it's that we can't even try to glean anything from these previews of future City Connects. Watch the Twins go with a representation of their home field. Full Kasota Gold!!!
  18. Today
  19. I've been neglecting this thread somewhat, so I'm back today with a full Rays redesign set! RAYS HOME: RAYS ROAD: RAYS HOME ALT: RAYS ROAD ALT: Notes: - I wanted to try my hand at a full Rays redesign built around the City Connect's excellent "SkyRay," easily the best logo to come out of the entire City Connect program thus far (though I do have a big soft spot for Milwaukee's "grill ball"). - One thing I don't love about Tampa Bay's City Connect is the heavy use of black, so I split the difference here and used the darker shade of purple from the Devil Rays' original primary logo. - The flames from the "Tampa Bay" script are added to Devil Rays' original BP jersey wordmark and "TB" cap logo for the road and home alt. - Similar to my Rays 4+1 set, the newly added front numbers are solid-colored to offset the gimmickiness of the script gradients somewhat. - This one's a really small detail, but I changed the stroke around the SkyRay from green to white, which helps it pop a bit better, IMO. And for good measure, here's a repost of my City Connect tweak: C&C appreciated, and have a great weekend!
  20. @Seadragon76 Fair points. And prior to Missouri State as well as that insanely inflated amount to pay up to move up for FCS schools to go for FBS status, most people and analysts were expecting other schools like Stephen F. Austin or Tarleton, as C-USA had suffered a big blow on the Texas area; because adding just Sam Houston State alone is still not enough. It would had made sense for another TX school to like create some gap with SH and New Mexico State.
  21. Took a singular marketing class during my undergrad. We actually had a small section on team names from the 90's (along with general trends). The reason for all the 'wacky' names in the 90's is because a few specialty marketing/graphic design firms did market research on sports team names and almost solely focused on young, male children. Typically, the people who were coming up with these names and designs had little interest or understanding of sports culture. Many of the names of those teams have been changed since (Bobcats, KC Wiz, Wash Wiz branding, Dallas Burn, etc) General attitude has shifted after some backlash to some of those names. Now more specialty firms that understand the sports and more traditional names (see the MLS trend of everyone taking the "FC" name route). I have zero clue to who Utah is soliciting for its branding and names, but it generally reeks of the same issue sports teams had in the 90's
  22. Well, if you find what you like, go for it. If you want championship banners, lemme know the list and I'll hook you up. If you want a "Where I Come From" that doesn't exist yet, lemme know.
  23. I prefer Salt Lake as well, but the funding bill for the arena upgrades, etc. require any team to use the "Utah" moniker.
  24. Uniforms, yes. I could even see that helmet working long-term if they plopped a stripe or three down the middle. But “Football Team” is not a proper name for a football team. Redhogs and Redtails would both have worked far better than Commanders. I guess I just got the sense that a lot of people wanted to throw the baby out with the bathwater - if nobody would mind that design, then yeah, they should’ve kept it. “Football Team” would’ve been by far the worst name in the league, but at least they wouldn’t have fugly uniforms.
  25. It's [not sic] always a concern in using apostrophe's [sic]
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.