The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. Maybe.

I think the plague happened, the team got in a hole, and then the players, exhausted, said "f***, again?". Third year in a row they have to climb out of a massive hole. They were successful last year, sort of successful in 2013, but it looks more unlikely with every loss this year. The thought of going through that uphill climb for a third year in a row is probably too much.

It'd be nice not to start a season 5-10.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well, San Jose Sharks' backup goalie's aren't staying healthy.

Stalock had knee surgery and is still on IR, now Grosenick suffered an upper body injury during yesterday's practice.

The Sharks couldn't get a Goalie from Worcester in time (wonder if this is due to Snow in the Northeast), so SJSU alum, Ryan Lowe has been signed as the emergency backup for tonight's game vs the Flames. Niemi is still at this time healthy and is starting. The name Ryan Lowe sounds familiar and growing up in San Jose, who knows I might know the guy, but it's more because his name sounds like Ryane Clowe.

If Lowe wasn't signed/or the Sharks couldn't get a goalie, who, out of the position players would be the backup? Is there even a rule in that situation? Just curious if it's like a MLB Position player going to relief pitcher in a long, extra-inning game.

For whatever it's worth, there aren't really any clear-cut great teams in the league right now. The closest thing to a dominant team right now is Anaheim, and even they've stumbled a little bit because of an infectious disease that we were supposed to have all but eradicated. Montreal, for all their points in the standings, allows as many goals as they score. The Penguins are winning, but who trusts the Penguins?

"Your" Winnipeg Jets are looking adequate so far, for what little that's worth.

Sharks just lost to the Flames 2-0. The Sharks should have blown it all up this summer. They've become the old Flames.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Todd McClellan: Dead Man Walking

Fortunately for me tonight I watched Arizona win in the Maui tournament so I got to miss most of this dumpster fire.

Ramo was their goalie AND second half of a back to back. What excuses are there for this loss?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I don't think it's a matter of excuses. The Sharks just aren't that great anymore and the conference is highly competitive. They should have Buffaloed this season instead of extending Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau into their late thirties.

I don't know the rules for the contracts, but I do know that the 2 signed those deals before they turned 35, so they don't go down as age 35 deals I believe.(Isn't there rules for age 35 deals?)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

They're not 35+ contracts, but both players do have no-move clauses. Thornton in particular seems like a guy who's perfectly happy to chill out in Northern California and compile points in a low-stress environment. The only thing that's not jumbo...is his heart.

For whatever it's worth, there aren't really any clear-cut great teams in the league right now. The closest thing to a dominant team right now is Anaheim, and even they've stumbled a little bit because of an infectious disease that we were supposed to have all but eradicated. Montreal, for all their points in the standings, allows as many goals as they score. The Penguins are winning, but who trusts the Penguins?

Sharks just lost to the Flames 2-0. The Sharks should have blown it all up this summer. They've become the old Flames.

I wouldn't describe the Ducks as "dominant" so far. Yeah they're tied for the league lead in points, but that's with three shootout wins, three shootout losses and two additional OT losses. Goal differential is only +7. But that is with extended injuries to Gibson and Lovejoy, Palmieri just started playing, two rookie defensemen, Jason Labarbera got a couple wins in there. They have been much more physical than the last few years, and Kesler/Thompson have revitalized the face-off percentages. They're playing "the right way" or what I've envisioned as wanting them to play, I guess.

Now, ANALYTICS ALERT. SABRESFAN, AVERT YOUR EYES:

The Ducks are only middle of the pack when it comes to 5v5 possession numbers, but they are in the top 7 or higher in the 5v5 close (+1, tied, -1) possession numbers. (Which is relevant, because they're not blowing anyone out. They're either blowing leads, making comebacks, and always close. So while frustrating for a fan, they at least seem comfortable with it.) Also interestingly, they're top 5 in power play possession numbers and top 3 in penalty kill possession numbers. They're not scoring a ton on special teams, but they are controlling the play.

Actually if we're going off those 5v5 possession numbers (close or otherwise), the best teams thus far are Chicago, Minnesota, NY Islanders, and Pittsburgh. Now Nashville is up there in the regular 5v5 numbers, but drop a considerable amount in the 5v5 close numbers. And with either metric, both Pittsburgh and Nashville are operating at a very high PDO (Save % + Shooting %), which is to say definitely expect Nashville to regress at some point while Pittsburgh will hit a bump but is obviously much more sustainable. (Islanders also have a high close PDO, but like Pittsburgh, they have the possession numbers to match.) Also if you look at the PDO numbers, Chicago is actually quite low right now, despite their high possession numbers, so I only expect them to get better.

And what you said with Montreal also bears out in the analytics. They have middle of the road or crap possession numbers and PDO and each one gets worse in close games. So exactly how they're winning games, I don't know, but they'll be in for a hard fall soon enough.

(Also, Winnipeg is middle of the pack on just about everything. So "adequate" is probably the exact right word for them.)

TL;DR - Buy Chicago/Pittsburgh stock. Sell Nashville/Montreal stock. Islanders are for real. Ducks are decent. Winnipeg is OK.

---

I'm going up to San Jose on Friday for Ducks/Sharks. It should be quite entertaining.

I'm really looking forward to the next few years of As The Sharks Turn. It's becoming my favorite story.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

You guys all mean well so I'm only being a dick about this because I AM a dick.

But, hahaha, both those posts that involved any chatter about "best teams" and the Lightning didn't come up once. I know it's poor form to try and pump up your own team, but, c'mon. I'm not at all saying they are the best team in the league, but they've certainly performed as well as anyone, to this point, this year.

(Once the Habs 1.000% in shootouts end, they'll start to drop. That said, winning far more games than they lose with crap peripherals? I've heard that story before. Like, last year.)

spacer.png

Pretty sure I've spoken highly of the Bolts in this thread this year. I had them winning their division, not Boston or Montreal. I omitted them because I didn't feel like running down every single team at the top of the standings. They're really good, they'll be fine.

Just reading a few pages of this thread has lead me to thinking that none of the 30 teams will win the Cup this year. Everyone's so negative about their team, and it's not just limited to hockey.

It's easier to have your low expectations met and exceeded than have your high expectations not met.

If you say your team sucks then it's win-win. If they do suck, then you can say you knew it all along. But if they do win then you're happy because your team is actually good.

If you think your team is going to win the Stanley Cup and they don't, then you're let down.

You can translate that to pretty much everything else in life.

IbjBaeE.png

Just reading a few pages of this thread has lead me to thinking that none of the 30 teams will win the Cup this year. Everyone's so negative about their team, and it's not just limited to hockey.

It's easier to have your low expectations met and exceeded than have your high expectations not met.

If you say your team sucks then it's win-win. If they do suck, then you can say you knew it all along. But if they do win then you're happy because your team is actually good.

If you think your team is going to win the Stanley Cup and they don't, then you're let down.

That's such a loser mentality.

Either that, or you're looking at things from an analyst's angle instead of a fan's angle, which kinda defeats the purpose of being a fan because instead of just enjoying the win, you're nitpicking about things.

Many of you just can't enjoy things without being negative. "Sure, the Ducks have the most points, but only because they've won a couple shootouts and taken a few other games into overtime." Would you rather be in Carolina or Edmonton's spot for this season instead?

Many of you would complain about getting laid with Kaley Cuoco or Kendra Wilkinson because they were wearing a black bra instead of a red bra. Hell, the Giants just won the World Series, and a Giants fan is already bemoaning the 2015 season because he doesn't know who's gonna be playing third base.

You all just aren't happy unless your team wins every game in blowout fashion.

Yeah, I remember Corey Perry being out for like 2-3 weeks. Reminded me of My Cousin Vinnie....."The whole store got the flu!"

Saw the standings. The Thrasher stink will kick in come mid-January when an oh-so-misfortunate 7-game losing streak does them in.

That's such a loser mentality. (Then again, if the shoe fits....)

Either that, or you're looking at things from an analyst's angle instead of a fan's angle, which kinda defeats the purpose of being a fan because instead of just enjoying the win, you're nitpicking about things.

Many of you just can't enjoy things without being negative. "Sure, the Ducks have the most points, but only because they've won a couple shootouts and taken a few other games into overtime." Would you rather be in Carolina or Edmonton's spot for this season instead?

Many of you would complain about getting laid with Kaley Cuoco or Kendra Wilkinson because they were wearing a black bra instead of a red bra. Hell, the Giants just won the World Series, and a Giants fan is already bemoaning the 2015 season because he doesn't know who's gonna be playing third base.

You all just aren't happy unless your team wins every game in blowout fashion.

I'm not saying it's my mentality. I'm just saying that it is one that I think a lot of people have in life, not just people on the boards.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived