The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Jets blow a two-goal lead in the third. Paul Maurice's shell crap doesn't really work against the Flyers' distinct brand of unstructured chucking. Gotta keep pressing!

EDIT: HOLY CRAP WHAT WAS THAT ENDING? Flyers score ten seconds in while the announcers are still recapping the scoring. Pababib gonna Pababib.

EDIT 2: the winning goaltender is "Rob Zepp." File that one under Great Flyer Names right next to "Harry Zolnierczyk."

Hello Zepp

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucic is a little more interesting. He plays like nothing more than a glorified 4th liner with occasional, albeit rare, flashes of brilliance. You touched on the chemistry aspect, and I think that's the deal breaker here. He definitely holds some clout and respect in that locker room. Lucic/Oshie is a lateral move on the ice, doesn't really improve either team.

Agreed. And if anybody ever compares Lucic with Cam Neely ever again, they deserved to be punched square in the face.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I guess this thread makes more sense than creating a new one, but Paul Lukas tweeted this image today:

B5boqdECcAAN7oJ.jpg

It's the crew putting the ice together at the Olympia in 1956. Is a big ol' logo piece a common occurrence, or was this just how it was done back then? I thought these were painted on.

Jets blow a two-goal lead in the third. Paul Maurice's shell crap doesn't really work against the Flyers' distinct brand of unstructured chucking. Gotta keep pressing!

EDIT: HOLY CRAP WHAT WAS THAT ENDING? Flyers score ten seconds in while the announcers are still recapping the scoring. Pababib gonna Pababib.

EDIT 2: the winning goaltender is "Rob Zepp." File that one under Great Flyer Names right next to "Harry Zolnierczyk."

The Flyers realized that they suck in shootouts and decided to end it in OT to pick up the extra point.

what a bonehead trade the Bruins made when shipping Tyler Seguin out of town :wacko:

Ah, I see you know absolutely nothing about the Boston Bruins. He never would have been the point scorer he's capable of being in Boston. There's a few cities where someone's not gonna be a goal scoring machine and one of them is Boston under Claude Julien's system.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

what a bonehead trade the Bruins made when shipping Tyler Seguin out of town :wacko:

Ah, I see you know absolutely nothing about the Boston Bruins. He never would have been the point scorer he's capable of being in Boston. There's a few cities where someone's not gonna be a goal scoring machine and one of them is Boston under Claude Julien's system.

Eh, any way you cut it, it's a bad trade. Like Joe Thornton bad. There just wasn't a big enough return to make this deal work for both sides.

I question management for even drafting the guy. It's not like they didn't know Seguin wasn't a fit, his style didn't magically change when he hit the big league. The value of that 2nd overall pick was astronomical, why not trade that pick then? You were guaranteed Hall or Seguin, teams would've given you their first born child to get a crack at that. Seguin was always going to blossom in a low pressure, low exposure type setting in Dallas, it's not a surprise he's putting up the numbers he is. The Bruins drafted him, played him out of position because they didn't need a center, and blasted him in the media every chance they got. He never stood a chance here, and it still doesn't make sense why they drafted him in the first place. The whole situation was doomed from the start.

I guess this thread makes more sense than creating a new one, but Paul Lukas tweeted this image today:

B5boqdECcAAN7oJ.jpg

It's the crew putting the ice together at the Olympia in 1956. Is a big ol' logo piece a common occurrence, or was this just how it was done back then? I thought these were painted on.

I can't speak for 1956, but....

It's actually both, at least how we used to do the ice. The lines, the crease, and the center-ice team logo were all painted on. The sponsor logos and those NHL logos (playoff logos, Opening week logo, etc) were these poster-like sheets because they would change somewhat often.

It's a good thing the Bruins won that Stanley Cup, or else they would have traded Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel, and Tyler Seguin for, well, basically not having Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel, and Tyler Seguin.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can't say I hated that game. Sure, I hate giving up late game leads, but the Ducks second goal was a thing of a beauty and Kesler's sniper shot to win it was impressive. That being said, I'd like the Sharks chances against this team. Even though Anaheim beat San Jose for the first time, the Sharks still get a point and are in second place in the division. Not bad for a loss.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

It's a good thing the Bruins won that Stanley Cup, or else they would have traded Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel, and Tyler Seguin for, well, basically not having Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel, and Tyler Seguin.

Trading Kessel really shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the Thornton and Seguin deals. Kessel brought the Bruins Dougie Hamilton and Tyler Seguin, even with what happened with Seguin I'd make that deal every day. Thornton and Seguin on the other hand, it's almost scary that each deal was done by two separate GM's.

Trading Kessel really shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the Thornton and Seguin deals. Kessel brought the Bruins Dougie Hamilton and Tyler Seguin

...who, in turn, was also traded for magic beans.

Trading Kessel really shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the Thornton and Seguin deals. Kessel brought the Bruins Dougie Hamilton and Tyler Seguin

...who, in turn, was also traded for magic beans.

Oh I know. I wouldn't even call them magic beans. Just beans.

That turned out to be a pretty lose-lose trade: the Bruins gave up a cost-controlled scorer en route to salary-cap hell, while the Stars have a wildly top-heavy roster that scores quite a bit but can't stop getting torched going the other way. Had to get that year of Iginla after all, though!

EDIT: in fairness, I don't suppose I can blame Seguin himself, whatever his defensive irresponsibility may be, for the fact that the Stars are giving up like 3.5 a game. Jim Nill probably should have found better defensemen than Sergei Gonchar.

Archived