The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Man, such vitriol for a perpetual loser. I don't know if I should be impressed or disturbed.

It's just people being tired of San Jose's disappearing performance every single season, only this time, their vanishing act is hogging up a potential playoff spot away from relative-postseason newbies (Wild, Flames, Stars (if they can catch up)).

At this point, the Sharks have reached the levels of the A's, Tigers, 49ers, Bengals and Thunder; they're a team who can churn out good-quality regular seasons then pile-on mediocre postseason runs, to which the sports public has generally grown tired and yawned of such mediocrity happening.

They aren't hogging up anything. They've won just enough to be in playoff position now and if they continue losing, they're out. The better teams will get in and play for Stanley and even if San Jose gets knocked out again in round one, which they inevitably would, they didn't "steal" or "hog" any spot that could've gone to the teams you mentioned. If the Wild or the Flames want to play in May, then they need to win most of their games and that'll take care of itself.

Furthermore, the last point is confusing and pretty mean spirited. I mean, what's the point of schadenfreude with sports teams like the Sharks or basically any team from Cleveland? These fans try to cheer for a team who perpetually chokes and you feel the need to rub it in, praising it? Note, I'm not calling you out on that point Dbad, but the snark from McCarthy was kind of out of left field. You'd think a Bengals fan would sympathize a bit with other fans of blueballing teams, but hey, that's life.

I just hope the Sharks fall down the standings and stay there, just to humble some of the jerks in the Shark Tank and to convince the team to blow the whole damn franchise up (knowing their brass, they'd probably just remove crests from the jerseys to make them "lighter" and sign all of their stars to decade-long contracts).

Oh, and Admiral is totally right about the nasty "The NHL's Best Fans™" attitude that floats around the Sharks fandom. Heck, I'm surprised that there is not a twitter account that covers the worst aspects of the fandom (even if 95% of it would probably be stuff from our disturbing exterminator buddy).

I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend. You could cut ties with all the lies that you've been living in. And if you do not want to see me again, I would understand. I would understand.

As with the Cardinals, the frustrating part is that they are pretty knowledgeable fans, but get out of your own asses already! And unlike the Cardinals, win something first!

Considering how stupid cold it's supposed to be tomorrow, I think I'll continuing hiding in there until this freeze passes through.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Frustration" is the best way to describe peoples feelings about the Sharks as it's been the same story for 9 straight seasons. I too used to be on the pro sharks bandwagon and why not? They had great looking uniforms, they amassed lots of points and looked like a team that wasn't New Jersey, Colorado, or Detroit that could win the big one. After acquiring Thornton at the end of the year, it seemed like they were finally going to break out...

-2006: The second round collapse against the Oilers was embarrassing. They had a 2-0 lead and dropped 4 straight in humiliating fashion. This was the year Carolina won the cup. Why were the Sharks not coming out of the West and preventing that travesty?

-2007: Last year of the great uniforms and once again the Sharks look poised for a run. 34 seconds away from a 3-1 series lead against Detroit and the Sharks collapse in epic fashion once again. 3 straight losses and support is seriously starting to wane.

-2008: Huge downgrade on the uniforms yet the sharks remain one of the best looking teams in the league. Not saying much. It takes them 7 games to beat a mediocre Flames team before dropping 3 straight to Dallas. The Sharks force game 6 but ultimately complete the choke. Support all but vanquished.

-2009: Their reputation as chokers is established but it has yet to reach comical levels. A Presidents Trophy and just 2 wins in the playoffs. No reason to support them at this point, they are a punchline.

-2010: Going into the Sharks/Hawks series, you thought you were in for a seven game, marquee match-up. Nope, same old Sharks.

-2011: Sharks start wearing the black uniforms full time in playoff extracting any remaining good will. Another conference finals appearance but once again, they are never really in the series.

-2012: Sound first round beating, same awful black uniforms.

-2013: Second round choke... again.

-2014: Still using the black uniforms in spite butchering a previously solid set to look like them. Team manages to out-choke itself and blow a 3-0 series lead.

All things considered, the hate for the Sharks as currently constructed is justified. Time for a huge shake up.

Man, such vitriol for a perpetual loser. I don't know if I should be impressed or disturbed.

It's just people being tired of San Jose's disappearing performance every single season, only this time, their vanishing act is hogging up a potential playoff spot away from relative-postseason newbies (Wild, Flames, Stars (if they can catch up)).

At this point, the Sharks have reached the levels of the A's, Tigers, 49ers, Bengals and Thunder; they're a team who can churn out good-quality regular seasons then pile-on mediocre postseason runs, to which the sports public has generally grown tired and yawned of such mediocrity happening.

They aren't hogging up anything. They've won just enough to be in playoff position now and if they continue losing, they're out. The better teams will get in and play for Stanley and even if San Jose gets knocked out again in round one, which they inevitably would, they didn't "steal" or "hog" any spot that could've gone to the teams you mentioned. If the Wild or the Flames want to play in May, then they need to win most of their games and that'll take care of itself.

Furthermore, the last point is confusing and pretty mean spirited. I mean, what's the point of schadenfreude with sports teams like the Sharks or basically any team from Cleveland? These fans try to cheer for a team who perpetually chokes and you feel the need to rub it in, praising it? Note, I'm not calling you out on that point Dbad, but the snark from McCarthy was kind of out of left field. You'd think a Bengals fan would sympathize a bit with other fans of blueballing teams, but hey, that's life.

I understand completely. I used to bandwagon for the Sharks in the playoffs every year. It's just there was a major jerk who used to post here and then was banned who ruined the Sharks for me. I enjoy the Sharks losing because I know it eats at his core. Sorry, if that results in some collateral damage for some otherwise nice posters like yourself and Puckguy and others.

Also, announcing what color jersey you're going to wear in the playoffs before the regular season even begins really rubbed me the wrong way. They didn't say "if we make the playoffs we'll wear teal." No, they said "we will wear teal in the playoffs." as if making it was a foregone conclusion. They deserve to miss for this reason alone.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Considering how stupid cold it's supposed to be tomorrow, I think I'll continuing hiding in there until this freeze passes through.

Yeah, this sucks. Can't I just sleep through this like a bear?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hopefully tonight Q's starting 3 are Hartman/Shaw/Carcillo and it leads to a huge fight because DETROILET IS EVIL AND DAY HATE EACH UDHER EN DARE AUTA BE FYYYTTEESS

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I understand completely. I used to bandwagon for the Sharks in the playoffs every year. It's just there was a major jerk who used to post here and then was banned who ruined the Sharks for me. I enjoy the Sharks losing because I know it eats at his core. Sorry, if that results in some collateral damage for some otherwise nice posters like yourself and Puckguy and others.

Also, announcing what color jersey you're going to wear in the playoffs before the regular season even begins really rubbed me the wrong way. They didn't say "if we make the playoffs we'll wear teal." No, they said "we will wear teal in the playoffs." as if making it was a foregone conclusion. They deserve to miss for this reason alone.

Yea, I didn't care for that myself and it will be a rude awakening for many of us who have been spoiled with the string of playoff appearances. The initial post just seemed really harsh and I presumed some Sharks fan keyed your car or something when they came to Columbus. But yea, I hope your guys get something done. I have nothing against Cincy and have been to GABP a couple times when I dated a girl from Ohio and thought it one of the nicer parks I've been to.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

All things considered, the hate for the Sharks as currently constructed is justified. Time for a huge shake up.

Well thank you for summarizing the grand list of failures I was already well aware of! That said, I don't get how failing to win titles justifies hate. Sure, I don't care for Vancouver because of 2011, but I actually like many things about the franchise. However, should I hate them for going 0-3 in the Finals? As a divisional rival, I don't exactly root for you, but if it was Nucks/Pens in the Finals, I'd be rooting for Vancouver.

Remember, it means a lot to Canadians that they can play for their country as long as they don't have to work for their country. Here I thought Americans were all talk.

Hopefully tonight Q's starting 3 are Hartman/Shaw/Carcillo and it leads to a huge fight because DETROILET IS EVIL AND DAY HATE EACH UDHER EN DARE AUTA BE FYYYTTEESS

But Hawks-Wings games rarely have fights. The two teams are regularly near the bottom of the league in fights. In fact, Detroit is last and the Hawks are tied for second-to-last.

Remember, it means a lot to Canadians that they can play for their country as long as they don't have to work for their country. Here I thought Americans were all talk.

But Hawks-Wings games rarely have fights. The two teams are regularly near the bottom of the league in fights. In fact, Detroit is last and the Hawks are tied for second-to-last.

I'm sure you picked up that I was kidding. NBCSN's promotional packages for the game made it look like a much more violent affair is in store since it's Wednesday Night Rivalry: The Day You Hate or whatnot.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It seems that the Oilers are #1...#1 in the NHL city players admit they don't want to play for, at least according to admissions from player's agents.

http://deadspin.com/where-dont-nhl-players-want-to-play-1686594660

The top five such places:

1. Edmonton

2. Winnipeg

3. Buffalo

4. Ottawa

5. Toronto

Yeah, I wouldn't really want to live in Edmonton either. Especially not to play for the Oilers.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I'm sure you picked up that I was kidding. NBCSN's promotional packages for the game made it look like a much more violent affair is in store since it's Wednesday Night Rivalry: The Day You Hate or whatnot.

Oh, I didn't see that. Whoops. A true-to-life promotional package would just show guys scowling and skating away from each other. Though if they're digging up footage of old Bob Probert fights, hey, cool, Bob Probert.

Oh, I didn't see that. Whoops. A true-to-life promotional package would just show guys scowling and skating away from each other. Though if they're digging up footage of old Bob Probert fights, hey, cool, Bob Probert.

I'm not sure if they still do this, but I'm sure they'll have a short feature on the rivalry in pregame, and it'll be resplendent with Probert highlights, I'm sure.

twitter

"Eight seconds left on the Abdelkaderian minor."

Jesus, Emrick. I'm not sure whether this is more qualified for the NHL Anti-Thread.

Actually, I really like that. Abdelkaderian.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I understand the disdain for the Sharks, I do, so I just take it stride, turn on the TV and watch the Sharks play. I take it one game at a time.

Currently, they are in the second Wildcard position (Granted, I'm writing this prior to the Kings-Avs game) but even if they get bumped out tonight with a Kings win, the Sharks are not that far from 2nd place in the Pacific. 22 games left, still plenty of time to get a playoff push going or fumble it up and not make the playoffs.

I think the frustration at least this season, with fans is that the Sharks are still a perennial offensive powerhouse, yet they play with such inconsistency that it's hard to gauge just what is wrong with the team. What I see is too many skill plays - looking for the perfect pass, perfect shot, etc. They try to skate through players at the blue line. When the perfect pass and perfect shot work - it's genius and it's a great highlight reel play. Yet, that's not the Sharks bread and butter. They are a cycle team that works best when they can set up in their own zone. Thornton works best behind the net looking to feed Pavelski or Couture in the slot or send back high to Burns at the point.

I could got on and on about the organizational frustrations, but I'll leave it at that (for now...)

Also, lots of Red at the Madhouse on Madison tonight.

Andrew Hammond stole the show in Ottawa tonight, stopping 42 out of 44 and winning his first start in the NHL. Which is odd because he hasn't even been good enough to play in the AHL this season.

Also, there were 83 shots in that game, the best game I've seen in a while.

Archived