The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

When the Leafs end up not winning the draft lottery, it should be interesting to see what direction this rebuild takes, since 99.99% of the fans/media's plans hinge on getting McDavid and having him single-handedly turn the team around.

Once they fire Randy Carlyle trade Phil Kessel, all of their problems will be solved.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Leafs end up not winning the draft lottery, it should be interesting to see what direction this rebuild takes, since 99.99% of the fans/media's plans hinge on getting McDavid and having him single-handedly turn the team around.

Once they fire Randy Carlyle trade Phil Kessel get a hold of a time machine and undo the trade with Boston and draft Tyler Seguin, all of their problems will be solved.

sig.png

To be fair, the media doesn't think he'd turn the team around so much as be a ratings bonanza.

As far as Phaneuf & Kessel, thinking is they'll sit on them through the lottery into the summer in case they did win a top 2 spot. If they managed to get a bluechipper, they wouldn't want 2 of their more capable players vanished from the roster around him.

I'm looking forward to tonight's Stadium Series game. On paper it looks like one of the best outdoor match-ups yet.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I'd love to see Kessel play with McDavid, but I don't care who we draft, Phaneuf needs to go. His $7M cap hit is brutal, and he's been a complete failure as captain.

Also, why on Earth is Niemi wearing brown pads?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Dallas 6, Detroit 5 with 5:30 left in the 3rd. Feels like it'll end 8-7 in a shootout.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Man, I hate that the Outdoor game is in Cali. The ice is crap, the jerseys are crap, and it seems really quiet. Also because it's in CALIFORNIA.

Sports get played in lots of places. They have baseball in Minnesota and basketball in Toronto now!

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Dallas 6, Detroit 5 with 5:30 left in the 3rd. Feels like it'll end 8-7 in a shootout.

This was such a strange game. Detroit entered the third down by two, tied the game, fell behind by two again, tied it up again, then won the game in overtime.

Although it was cool seeing the grandiose nature of the event, I can't help feeling underwhelmed. Not just because they didn't play half bad and loss on a ill-timed turnover by Burns but because the crowd was listless in the final waning minutes and having Scott back in the line-up prevents them from rolling in with four decent lines. This has been the most frustrating thing to experience as a fan of any franchise, knowing your group was likely better than the result last season, yet making minimal moves to improve it. And better yet, the moves that were made likely made them worse.

I'm also thinking the entire simulation of the North California terrain was iffy at best. You couldn't add some more aesthetics to the field, preventing it from looking like two grey blobs, an open field and a kiddie pool with fake fins? You could at least have some kind of automated track for them to run on so they look like they're moving, or have some wave machine to give a more authentic feel. It just felt kind of glossed over.

I will say this though. From what I've seen of previous outdoor games, these California ones have seemed to have the largest minority and kid presence. I can only judge that from the shots they showed, but I've always liked that the Sharks have had a more prominent minority fan base, especially amongst the huge Asian population in the Bay.

So let's see what moves DW has, if any, before Detroit rolls in. Otherwise, missing the post-season might finally initiate the larger changes that need to be done.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Yeah, but the Asian fans' families have probably been in California for generations. It's not as if the Sharks are striking gold with Vietnamese FOBs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, but the Asian fans' families have probably been in California for generations. It's not as if the Sharks are striking gold with Vietnamese FOBs.

Right, but I like the fact they seem to be connecting at least with different populations and helping them enjoy an entertaining sport. Point is it's cool seeing different folks enjoying the game.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Who's still allowing Carcillo to hockey?

This game has been just awful.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That game's been a long time coming. I didn't even bother turning it on once I saw the line announcements. Enjoy the team you put together just the way you wanted, Joel, because the superstars you were gifted aren't making up for your stubbornness and ineptitude this time around.

I'd plan to sit camped on the couch watching hockey all day. Philadelphia/Washington was entertaining (Love that Rob Zepp!), but then the Bruins and Blackhawks played a sloppy snoozer and it really harshed my buzz. The only highlight was finally getting to see a goalie break the trapezoid. I can't remember ever seeing that since the rule was put into effect.

I guess I'm still camped on the couch, but that second game turned into an accidental nap before CBJ/NYR starts.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived