2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

i guess it was just odd because it was way more of a traditional look than any of the other teams, but at the same time it was just way too busy. it was like an entire uniform made out of the new york rangers road shoulders. traditional, maybe... but just way too busy.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that bugs me most about the current Sharks jerseys is the use of orange. I wasn't sold on it for the first Edge version either, but on the current duds its placement is inconsistent and the striping feels like it's missing something. It's as if they were undecided on whether or not to keep the colour around. Or they were trying too hard to appeal to the fans who don't want orange and those who do.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The Sharks' second set was so good. It was very modern, but it was never in your face. I thought it would've been the perfect look for a board that hates "original six dressup" so much, a modern team looking modern.

Not that I don't like their first set, but I'm not gah-gah over it like everyone seems to be. It's good, but it's not the best thing ever.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The Sharks' second set was so good. It was very modern, but it was never in your face. I thought it would've been the perfect look for a board that hates "original six dressup" so much, a modern team looking modern.

Not that I don't like their first set, but I'm not gah-gah over it like everyone seems to be. It's good, but it's not the best thing ever.

The white sweater in their second set was brilliant. The teal sweater was just a tad too busy for my tastes with the black Denver Broncos-esque side panels.

Which one was their second?

This one

20120802_finals_slide.jpg

And the teals, which bring the set down. In my opinion...

Nolan-Sharks-2_crop_slide_zpsbmuupnn7.jp

I agree - don't like the strong diagonal lines on that set. Too busy. The white is better, but it's still not good.

I like a clean and simple design, bold colors and broad strokes. Strip off all the gewgaws and overly-fussy details thrown in by designers eager to justify their fee. Stripes and panels where they can accentuate, not overwhelm. That's why I love their current jersey so much.

The white sweater in their second set was brilliant. The teal sweater was just a tad too busy for my tastes with the black Denver Broncos-esque side panels.

Which one was their second?

This one

20120802_finals_slide.jpg

And the teals, which bring the set down. In my opinion...

Nolan-Sharks-2_crop_slide_zpsbmuupnn7.jp

I really liked these. They were modern, they were different, but they weren't crazy. Using all that gray was more...idk, shark-like. It made sense. I never even realized that the fronts and the backs were different until I owned one, and then I didn't realize how different the home and road were until someone asked me about them. There's a lot of depth to those jerseys, things you don't realize for a long time. I always figured they would've migrated to the Edge template flawlessly, but then the team went more traditional. It's probably the only time that "more traditional" disappointed me.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I agree - don't like the strong diagonal lines on that set. Too busy. The white is better, but it's still not good.

I like a clean and simple design, bold colors and broad strokes. Strip off all the gewgaws and overly-fussy details thrown in by designers eager to justify their fee. Stripes and panels where they can accentuate, not overwhelm. That's why I love their current jersey so much.

The current sweaters are so frustrating because they're so close to being good. The decision to use orange as a striping colour instead of grey, the use of the redundant full-bodied shark as a secondary, and the lack of hem stripes just hold the set down.

The front numbers are no good either, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming their absence this season means they're gone.

I really liked these. They were modern, they were different, but they weren't crazy. Using all that gray was more...idk, shark-like. It made sense. I never even realized that the fronts and the backs were different until I owned one, and then I didn't realize how different the home and road were until someone asked me about them. There's a lot of depth to those jerseys, things you don't realize for a long time. I always figured they would've migrated to the Edge template flawlessly, but then the team went more traditional. It's probably the only time that "more traditional" disappointed me.

It's those black Broncos side panels on the teals that kill it for me. It pushes it from "modern but tasteful" to "overly busy." Just take them off the teal sweaters and it's a very solid set. Not as solid as the inaugural set, but still a very clean, modern design.

As for new teams looking traditional? I've never minded it in the Sharks' case. Their history is interesting in that they have some ties to the old Seals/Barons team. So the idea of them having a traditional look works as a call-back to their 60s heritage. Teal is unique and modern enough to make a traditional look stand out anyway. So it's never really bothered me.

I do love gray as a team color. Would love to see somebody use it as a primary color on the ice. But the balance on these is all wrong.

Kings' Stadium Series jerseys were ok. I don't think gray as a primary color is a real necessity in the league.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The current sweaters are so frustrating because they're so close to being good. The decision to use orange as a striping colour instead of grey, the use of the redundant full-bodied shark as a secondary, and the lack of hem stripes just hold the set down.

The front numbers are no good either, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming their absence this season means they're gone.

Let's hope so.

Agreed about the secondary - they should make the full-body shark the primary and use any one of their fin logos on the shoulders.

And heck, replace the thin orange stripes with gray? I'd be all over that. Minor changes are all this jersey needs to go from beautiful to perfect.

The full body shark is completely inferior to the primary logo. Not even close. Too much going on with the full body shark. When you can crop 40% of the logo and improve it...then the full-body really is no-go.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm surprised so many people on here prefer the white version of the Sharks 1998-2007 set. In my opinion, the Teal's blow them clear out of the water. Normally side panels, on a hockey uniform, result in a non-starter but on this particular uniform they work. If you removed them, the entire colour balance of the uniform would be thrown off. I also like the way they drive home the shark imagery by roughly mimicking teeth.

Archived