2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That reminds me of the Miami Dolphins. I like it a lot. Good work, Sharks.

What's is apparently wrong with the knob?

My knob tastes funny.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TASTING THE KNOB

Here was my idea for tweaking the Sharks' logo from a couple years ago. I'd lose the silver keyline now, though, come to think of it. Pretend it's not there.

9SYPR.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sure the team was used to promote he movie. In the movie they wear the NHL jerseys! They used a variation of the logo for the cartoon and toys. That was the point of my post. The logo was to cross promote merchandise outside of the hockey team and build an identity around the brand outside of simply a sports team.

I think Disney's plan was to market the brand outside of just hockey. But with both sequels doing poorly at the box office and the cartoon flopping in the ratings they didn't get to build the franchises they wanted.

So the Red Wings are/were a promotional arm of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, since a character wears a Red Wings jersey in the movie?

No, the original had two problems. The knob and the tape. They fixed the tape but not the knob.

What's is apparently wrong with the knob?

A hockey stick doesn't have a knob like that unless you use tape to make one.

Gotcha - makes sense.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Sure the team was used to promote he movie. In the movie they wear the NHL jerseys! They used a variation of the logo for the cartoon and toys. That was the point of my post. The logo was to cross promote merchandise outside of the hockey team and build an identity around the brand outside of simply a sports team.

I think Disney's plan was to market the brand outside of just hockey. But with both sequels doing poorly at the box office and the cartoon flopping in the ratings they didn't get to build the franchises they wanted.

So the Red Wings are/were a promotional arm of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, since a character wears a Red Wings jersey in the movie?

Got me to watch the movie.

I knew I had a uniform addiction when I pointed out that the Red Wings jersey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off is wrong, they never wore white collars.

Hi, my name is John, and I have a problem lol

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

So they went with the inferior old logo, but passed on the old teal in favor of the current, inferior shade. Typical Sharks derpery, but it'll be great to see the inaugural jerseys on the ice again kinda.

I'd have to ask Pantone, but I thought the Sharks abandoned the deeper, greener teal after just the first or second year of the Edge redesign, so this shade of teal is the old one. Maybe this is a third shade of teal, but I was under the impression they just made one big change in 2007 and walked it right back. From the eye test, the throwback looks just right to me.

I remember him saying that they made the teal darker and then lighter again, but I don't know for sure if they're currently using the same shade as they originally did. The current uniforms look to the eye to be darker than the originals, but it could be how they use the accent colors. And the throwback looks darker as well, but it's hard to judge from a photo such as this.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That movie wasn't named after the Detroit Red Wings.

The Catch of the Day!

The Ducks uniform can't become the primary fast enough. Blows the main set clear out of the water.

No way. The main jerseys are far superior because the "D" is a superior logo. The only cool thing about that jersey is that its orange and thats it.

That cartoon Mighty Ducks logo should have went out with the bath water along with the Mighty Ducks name.

I couldn't possible disagree more. The D is one of the most boring logos. It's easily among the very worst in the entire league. It's just a D shaped like a duck foot. What's so special about that? The Wild Wing logo on the other hand, is unique and easy recognizeable. Few teams sold as much merchandise as the ducks did, with that logo, back in the 90s. It was up there with the Jordan era Chicago Bulls. That logo made me a Ducks fan and a hockey fan. I'm thrilled that it's finally back on the front of a Ducks jersey. That logo is the star of the new third jersey. I'm not a fan of the orange, but i understand why they do it, being from orange country and all. But truth be told, i would have prefered something even more classic, something eggplant and teal. But in the end, i'm just glad that it's back.

The reason I think the "D" is the best logo the Ducks have ever had is because its a simple effective design that doesn't have to resort to cartoonish to represent a team called the Ducks. The simple stylized "D' that doubles as a webbed foot is both aesthetically pleasing and unique. It looks like a sports logo rather than a cartoon used to sell toys. It gives the team the classy and mature look of a sports franchise rather than some Disney product to appease children. Its sharp and bold and jumps off the jerseys at you. Its very reminiscent of the winged "P" of the Flyers or the stylized blue note of St.Louis. An effective simple and sharp design

The Mighty Ducks logo is a 1990's cartoon. A cartoon logo. For a team with a cartoon name. Designed by a company that specializes in producing cartoons. I'm surprised Tinkerbell and Goofy weren't in the logo.

Disney bought the franchise to sell merchandise and that's it. They didn't care about the sport. They wanted to build a brand around their movie which the team is named after. This is the reason the team was called the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" rather than the "Anaheim Mighty Ducks". They wanted to emphasize the nickname as a brand/franchise. To appeal to the non-sports fan. It was used to promote the film sequels (this is why the kids switch from their own design in the first film to the NHL uniforms in the sequels). It was also used to promote a cartoon and a toy line.

With the Disney ownership and silly "MIGHTY" nickname in the past (Thank God), its only fitting that Disney logo stays in the past as well. They did a great job building an identity with a real hockey logo. Why ruin it by going back to a dated Disney cartoon?

This is a hockey team. Not a Disney product.

Removed pictures to save space.

Yes because if Disney wanted to start a brand and sell more merchandise, the easiest way for them to do it was to buy and run a hockey team. :rolleyes:

The hockey team wasn't used to promote the sequels, cartoons or toys. The sequels, cartoons and toys were a byproduct of the hockey team and how well the hockey teams merchandise was selling. I doubt Disney had a long term goal of buying a hockey team just for two movie sequels, a very short running cartoon and some toys from the cartoon.

EDIT: I found the article. This explains it pretty well.

So I will admit I misremembered with my earlier post quoted in this chain. But I don't see it being as much of a conspiracy or a problem or whatever you are making it out to be with the sequels (which did well at the box office) and the cartoon (which a single afternoon show is pretty expendable in Disney's eyes). It's just an owner trying to make money off of their team, nothing wrong with that. VikWing explains what I was trying to say earlier as it's not like this was the Anaheim NHL team's logo.

$_35.JPG

Also your example of promotion is probably the only thing that isn't promotion. It would be promotion if the NHL team wore the District 5 Ducks jerseys as part of the release of D2 or D3. It's not promotion for a movie to use the jerseys of a professional sports team.

The nickname predated the hockey team. Why on Earth would Disney name a team after a movie if not to promote a brand? Especially giving them such a silly name as "Mighty"?

Why did they emphasize the nickname over the city in the team name? Beause they wanted to promote a brand.

In the first film the kids wore jerseys that had a generic cartoon duck on the front. Had the logo been more marketable they would have used that for the hockey team the following year. When they created the NHL logo it was so they could build a brand around the Mighty Ducks name that was already established the following year. This is why the NHL jerseys were given to the kids in the film in the two sequels, instead of reusing thier own look from the first film.

ducks6.jpg

There was an article in the Hockey News (around 1994), that talked about how Disney really wanted to target Disney fans moreso than hockey or sports fans and it was estimated that roughly 60% of merchandise were bought by Disney fans. They sold more of this merchandise through thier Disney Stores than at the Arrowhead Pond.

Oh and the films didn't do well. The second movie had a bigger budget and bigger release than the first one but made less money at the box office. While it didn't flop it wasn't the hit that Disney was hoping for.

The third one had a total cost of roughly $30 million and couldn't even break even.

The Catch of the Day!

I saw these logo mashups the other day. All of them were pretty lousy, except the one for the Sharks:

uRLy6LI.png

Personally, I could get on board with this. What do you guys think?

- The stick is perfect.

- Remove most the outlines, keep 1 or 2, 3 the most like the current logo but no more than 3.

- Change the eye color to white or some other color other than orange.

The stick is not perfect, it still has the same problem the original logo had...

The Sharks keep choking on it?

The Arizona Coyotes will wear their road jersey at Gila River Arena on November 5th when they play the Colorado Avalanche.

There will be TWO Throwback Nights during the upcoming season... November 27th against Calgary and February 20th against St. Louis.

Here is the Promotional Nights schedule for these listed dates.

Here was my idea for tweaking the Sharks' logo from a couple years ago. I'd lose the silver keyline now, though, come to think of it. Pretend it's not there.

9SYPR.jpg

Aside from the knob, this is perfection. Put this logo on the original striping and the sharks vault from the bottom 10 to the top 5.

I'm going to Ice_Cap this.

The nickname predated the hockey team. Why on Earth would Disney name a team after a movie if not to promote a brand? Especially giving them such a silly name as "Mighty"?
Why did they emphasize the nickname over the city in the team name? Beause they wanted to promote a brand.

The NHL team wasn't set up to be any sort of promotion for the Mighty Ducks movie franchise brand, because there was no Mighty Ducks movie franchise brand at the time. That's seems to be what you aren't understanding, yes it was a marketing stunt for the team to be named after the movie but it wasn't some underhanded scheme, it was Disney recognizing there was a market for hockey and they had a thing which had just previously filled the market.

Michael Eisner had been asked four times prior if Disney had wanted to own an NHL franchise and he turned it down despite him being a hockey fan. Then he gets another chance at an NHL team and he says yes because of hockey growing in the States and Disney's success with the first Mighty Ducks movie. He even calls the first movie Disney's retroactive market research for hockey.

And why not promote the brand of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim? That's what you do when you own a sports team. At this point all the team and the movie share is the name with the plans for more Disney stuff to come later on related to the two. Nothing wrong with that.

In the first film the kids wore jerseys that had a generic cartoon duck on the front. Had the logo been more marketable they would have used that for the hockey team the following year. When they created the NHL logo it was so they could build a brand around the Mighty Ducks name that was already established the following year. This is why the NHL jerseys were given to the kids in the film in the two sequels, instead of reusing thier own look from the first film.

I don't think there were any plans for the team to wear the jerseys from the movie, at least not any solid plans, because there haven't been any reports of it outside of Eisner wearing the jersey when they announced the team.

Of course when they created the logo it was so they could build around the Mighty Ducks name when the team was established. That's why the name Mighty Ducks was chosen, it was a successful movie which had came out earlier.

You keep coming back to the sequels having the NHL Mighty Ducks jerseys as it's some sort of proof for you. But why wouldn't you expect Disney to use those jerseys in the movie the team was named after? That is some sort of promotion I guess, but it's just Disney using one of it's properties in another.

There was an article in the Hockey News (around 1994), that talked about how Disney really wanted to target Disney fans moreso than hockey or sports fans and it was estimated that roughly 60% of merchandise were bought by Disney fans. They sold more of this merchandise through thier Disney Stores than at the Arrowhead Pond.

Okay and?

Oh and the films didn't do well. The second movie had a bigger budget and bigger release than the first one but made less money at the box office. While it didn't flop it wasn't the hit that Disney was hoping for.
The third one had a total cost of roughly $30 million and couldn't even break even.

I brought up to box office totals in response to you thinking the movies coming in low at the box office and the cartoon only running for one season as some sort of reason why Disney pulled back on the Mighty Ducks brand. Which I don't see as related, the movies ran their course and a cartoon is just a cartoon. The Mighty Ducks team was sold because Disney was losing money on it during the same time the NHL was going through the lockout and the dead puck era, along with Eisner being ousted from Disney with change coming in through the company.

TL;DR: You are trying to prove a grand sweeping marketing and promotions conspiracy you are trying to prove which isn't there because it's not a conspiracy, it's exactly what Disney was doing. It was good business sense by Disney recognizing there was a market for hockey and they had a movie which had just previously filled the market. The rest of the movies, cartoons, toys and whatever else was just Disney being Disney with a brand they had. You see it all the time with the rest of their movies.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived