2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

I hate the Sharks. They're the worst Bay Area team next to the Raiders and their fans are smelly.

But...

I want that jersey so bad.

I hate the Sharks. In fact, I'm still ticked off about the 1994 series win over the Red Wings. Yea, the one where Osgood cried. Game 7. At home. Hate, hate, hate the Sharks.

But...

...that jersey's pretty freakin' sweet!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come this is in the EDGE cut? I thought CCM made the vintage and throwback jerseys for consumer purchase through their "Vintage" line.

When the Ducks wore their throwback the EDGE wasn't widely available, just the CCM version. Same I believe with the Devils when they wore the Christmas one the past couple years because my brother got a CCM one.

I think it's only as of last season. The "forum blue" Kings jersey worn over the past few years only ever had the CCM cut, but the gold version worn last year was sold in the EDGE cut. Both are still available on the Kings shop.

Arizona's throwback was sold as the EDGE cut as well, but their shop only has 1 in CCM so maybe they sold both?

And it bugs me when people hate on the Mighty Ducks logo because it's "cartoon-ish". The team was using it well before D-2 or the cartoon series came out, plus there's other NHL logos (looking at you Pittsburgh and San Jose) that have equally silly logos.

Neither of those logos were used as part of a Multimedia Branding Initiative.

COatWpMUcAAmttd.png

Perfect. Touch the logo up a bit (fix the tape issues and the perspective on the shark's left fin) and that's what the team needs to be wearing full-time.

The logo needs more teal. It's their primary colour but barely appears on this particular logo... In that regard, the 2007 update was a huge improvement.

I disagree that it needs more teal. A logo does not have to be the identical colors of the team. That is what the jersey and other merchandise is for.

When the logo appears by itself on a white background, their main colour is barely represented at all. Once again, this is the main reason why I think the 2007 update was so successful... Just a shame they had to replace grey with orange as an accent.

Do you dislike the Blackhawks logo because it has more green and yellow than red?

This jersey is fantastic. The Sharks always did look better in that colour scheme. They should switch back to something like this full time.

But...

...If it was going to be a straight up throwback, rather than a "heritage" jersey that merely pays tribute to the past, why didn't they just say so in the first place?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I'm just saying, I can give logos a pass for not implementing team or school colors when it uses the realistic colors of the person or animal.... and I've seen a lot more black or silver/gray sharks than teal ones.

The new logo is just too cartoony/mid-90s/AHL-worthy for my liking... the old shark has some issues, but at least it looks like a real shark.

The bottom jersey is just bad, but the top one gives a decent example of Morgo's idea in practice.

68IiGJl.png

And it has the same problem as the original Florida Marlins uniforms, too much teal.

Besides, the black shark logo matches the helmet and the pants.

Just for fun:

rbD04il.png

When the logo appears by itself on a white background, their main colour is barely represented at all. Once again, this is the main reason why I think the 2007 update was so successful... Just a shame they had to replace grey with orange as an accent.
Do you dislike the Blackhawks logo because it has more green and yellow than red?

That's actually a really good comparison because, like the 1991 Shark's logo, the Blackhawks logo looks infinitely better against the teams main colour. Only difference is that one team was able to rectify the problem, while the other has no reason to based on longevity and success.

I looks nice and all, but am I the only one who thinks the crest and the shoulder logos look like the crest and the shoulder logos don't go together at all? I like each of them individually; I don't think they belong on the same jersey. Maybe a black fin shoulder?

I looks nice and all, but am I the only one who thinks the crest and the shoulder logos look like the crest and the shoulder logos don't go together at all? I like each of them individually; I don't think they belong on the same jersey. Maybe a black fin shoulder?

I totally think that now. When I was younger it didn't phase me. I don't think I noticed it until the 2007 rebrand and they matched the two.

The Ducks uniform can't become the primary fast enough. Blows the main set clear out of the water.

No way. The main jerseys are far superior because the "D" is a superior logo. The only cool thing about that jersey is that its orange and thats it.

That cartoon Mighty Ducks logo should have went out with the bath water along with the Mighty Ducks name.

I couldn't possible disagree more. The D is one of the most boring logos. It's easily among the very worst in the entire league. It's just a D shaped like a duck foot. What's so special about that? The Wild Wing logo on the other hand, is unique and easy recognizeable. Few teams sold as much merchandise as the ducks did, with that logo, back in the 90s. It was up there with the Jordan era Chicago Bulls. That logo made me a Ducks fan and a hockey fan. I'm thrilled that it's finally back on the front of a Ducks jersey. That logo is the star of the new third jersey. I'm not a fan of the orange, but i understand why they do it, being from orange country and all. But truth be told, i would have prefered something even more classic, something eggplant and teal. But in the end, i'm just glad that it's back.

The reason I think the "D" is the best logo the Ducks have ever had is because its a simple effective design that doesn't have to resort to cartoonish to represent a team called the Ducks. The simple stylized "D' that doubles as a webbed foot is both aesthetically pleasing and unique. It looks like a sports logo rather than a cartoon used to sell toys. It gives the team the classy and mature look of a sports franchise rather than some Disney product to appease children. Its sharp and bold and jumps off the jerseys at you. Its very reminiscent of the winged "P" of the Flyers or the stylized blue note of St.Louis. An effective simple and sharp design
The Mighty Ducks logo is a 1990's cartoon. A cartoon logo. For a team with a cartoon name. Designed by a company that specializes in producing cartoons. I'm surprised Tinkerbell and Goofy weren't in the logo.
all-star-movies-resort-at-disney-world-m
Disney bought the franchise to sell merchandise and that's it. They didn't care about the sport. They wanted to build a brand around their movie which the team is named after. This is the reason the team was called the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" rather than the "Anaheim Mighty Ducks". They wanted to emphasize the nickname as a brand/franchise. To appeal to the non-sports fan. It was used to promote the film sequels (this is why the kids switch from their own design in the first film to the NHL uniforms in the sequels). It was also used to promote a cartoon and a toy line.
Mightyduckslogo_930.jpg
20101192213667177801.jpg
With the Disney ownership and silly "MIGHTY" nickname in the past (Thank God), its only fitting that Disney logo stays in the past as well. They did a great job building an identity with a real hockey logo. Why ruin it by going back to a dated Disney cartoon?
This is a hockey team. Not a Disney product.

The Catch of the Day!

It sure sounded like the jersey wasn't going to be a true throwback.

Icethetics referred it as:

Disappointing to many fans hoping for a true throwback was that the team described the jersey as representative of "the present of the Sharks franchise while paying stark homage to its past."

The only differences that I can tell from the original is the collar and the shade of teal.

If only it was going to be worn against teams that had at least some history against it.

So they went with the inferior old logo, but passed on the old teal in favor of the current, inferior shade. Typical Sharks derpery, but it'll be great to see the inaugural jerseys on the ice again kinda.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived