NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soccer only? I thought Portland State football still played at Jeld Wen post renovation.

OK, soccer and Division I-AA football only.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The USFL Portland Breakers played their only season (1985) at Civic Stadium as well.

THAT WAS BEFORE THE RENOVATION

What happened in that stadium prior to 2011 is, quite frankly, irrelevant to any discussion of the stadium's suitability to hosting "x" sport now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Stadium talk aside for a minute, the Portland Raiders has a nice ring to it.

I thought the same thing. Portland seems to be a kind of red-headed-stepchild city (and embraces it), while the Raiders have been the NFL's red-headed stepchild franchise (and has embraced it).

This could be a surprisingly good pairing, if only they can iron out the details with the stadium...

For a temporary stadium for Portland, could Reser Stadium or Autzen Stadium be an option? Corvallis is about an hour and a half away from Portland and Eugene is still less than two hours away (according to google maps), but both are much closer than Nashville is to Memphis, where the Titans played temporarily. Neither is NFL size, but neither is TCF where the Vikings are playing the next two years.

Temporary stadium aside, this sounds very grassroots, no? There's no big money behind this push or anything is there?

Perhaps they'll be successful in swaying their government, but I think the last line of the article implying that there are other places willing to pay for stadiums isn't entirely true at this point. (That's excluding LA who of course has private entities willing to pay in the right situation.)

Can't they just swap an LA team for another team in the packages? Like Fox gets NFC except for say Arizona, plus the Chargers, while Cbs gets Afc minus chargers plus Arizona? Obviously CBS won't give up an la team, but if the package is sold that way up front wouldn't that work?

Maybe, but I wonder if that might not make it too complicated.

It's more than just the home teams that affect the conference package prices. The road teams do as well. The AFC package means that CBS has opportunities to put Patriots games on national television, not only from Foxboro but also those in New York, Denver, Indianapolis and the like. By exempting one club from the standard conference contract, you're also pulling away certain games possibly featuring other marquee teams. I don't know how they would negotiate that, especially since the team's intra-conference opponents change from year to year.

Good point. While I haven't looked at the numbers (nor have I looked at the teams - I'm basing this off the top of my head), I'd asume that the NFC contract is worth more than AFC, since after you cancel out the NY teams, NFC has Philadelphia, the Cowboys, Washington, the Packers, and Chicago. The AFC's only answer is the Boston market (maybe Houton, but not sure if their ratings are good.)

So if you exempt 2 teams from the contract (or essentially flip them for contract purposes) you're giving the AFC netork access to more NFC games since Arizona (in my example) would play 12 in-conference games. Since the conference networks get interconference games where their team is on the road, the AFC network would also get their 2 road AFC games, not that it matters though.

Obviously the AFC network would want both LA teams, but that could also drive the price up too much. If that wasn't an option, I'd think that being able to tap in to those huge NFC markets would be pretty desireable.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not sure how/if this affects the Raiders staying in Oakland:

San Jose’s five-year court battle to bring the A’s from Oakland took another legal turn Wednesday when the city filed a federal appeal to the anti-trust case dismissed by a judge last year. The city’s efforts to bring the baseball team to San Jose have been stymied by the Giants territorial rights to the area within Major League Baseball, so San Jose has petitioned the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to end baseball’s exemption to federal anti-trust laws.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/03/06/san-jose-files-appeal-to-end-baseballs-anti-trust-exemption/

Hmm. Seems pretty desperate.

I doubt a federal court will want to force Congress to revoke the antitrust exemption it granted (and I seriously doubt this Supreme Court would even consider upholding such an action if it did). So we're left with a municipality trying to force MLB to break its own rules.

Look, San Jose. Save your money, and use it to buy the territorial rights from the Giants. They paid for them fair and square, so that's the way to free up the marketplace.

Guess I don't see this action as having much effect on whether or not the Raiders stay in Oakland, because I don't think it'll have much effect on whether or not the A's stay in Oakland.

Toronto is not and never will be a viable NFL market.

The Bills have officially 'postponed' their Toronto series for 2014, which means that it's probably the end of it.

The first couple of games in the series had over 50,000; but the past few years have had 40,000 or less. Which goes to show you, fans would probably support a team for a couple of years and the flavor of the week and then forget about it. Plus, the Argos will always be the city's favorite football team.

sig.png

For a temporary stadium for Portland, could Reser Stadium or Autzen Stadium be an option? Corvallis is about an hour and a half away from Portland and Eugene is still less than two hours away (according to google maps), but both are much closer than Nashville is to Memphis, where the Titans played temporarily. Neither is NFL size, but neither is TCF where the Vikings are playing the next two years.

If Portland somehow got a team, Reser or Autzen would have to be used. The NFL wouldn't let a 20K stadium fly, even temporarily.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The first couple of games in the series had over 50,000; but the past few years have had 40,000 or less. Which goes to show you, fans would probably support a team for a couple of years and the flavor of the week and then forget about it. Plus, the Argos will always be the city's favorite football team.

That may well be accurate, but I don't think this single regular season game for a horrible team "goes to show" us anything about how an NFL team would do. I just don't think it's apples to apples.

But there's no declared interested owner, no push for a new stadium, and I suppose at least unsureness about what the fan base would be. So while I keep referring to it as a potential market, I understand why it isn't a likely one.

If Portland somehow got a team, Reser or Autzen would have to be used. The NFL wouldn't let a 20K stadium fly, even temporarily.

I think Portland is pretty far on the list of potential NFL teams regardless. I think people are only assuming Portland because of the Nike ties, but that's a huge reach. Plus, I am not sure Portland fans would even be into an NFL team. Portlandians are some serious weirdos, for better or for worse. I'm not sure their soccer supporters would easily convert into football fans. Must be something in the water.

(Offtopic: Anyone ever watch Portlandia? I've heard that their spoof of the people of Portland is actually not to far from their depiction. Funny stuff. :lol:. )

Archived