NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

I've heard people say that the city of LA and the NFL don't want the Raiders back in LA because of the fan element the Raiders bring with them (bat :censored: insanity). Yet I haven't seen anything from the NFL or city of LA directly. No leaks or credible reports. Just "I heard they may not want the move to happen" talk. It seems like conjecture from where I'm standing.

Even if the NFL didn't want it I'm not sure how far they'd take the objection. The Raiders need a new arena. The Davis family isn't wealthy enough to build one themselves and Oakland's broke. So if LA becomes a viable option then I don't see how the NFL can turn down a Raiders to LA move if it's the only way to get that team a new stadium. If the city if LA wants a NFL team bad enough then they'll take them. Beggars can't be choosers and so on and so forth.

As far as two LA teams in the same conference? I'm sure the NFL would roll with two LA teams in the AFC West if that's the way things worked out, but I truly believe that if they had it their way the two LA teams would be in separate conferences. It would help keep the AFC and NFC tv deals balanced and it would allow for a more flexible fan situation. If the two LA teams are the Chargers and Raiders then you'll find very few fans willing to support both. If the teams are the Raiders and Rams though? Then you might get fans of each deciding to support the other as their "second" team.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you on what they'd choose in an ideal situation, Ice. But like you, I'm not sure they'd object to two AFC teams in LA if that's how it works out.

I think the NFL really does want to keep team where they are for the most part. They usually get massive subsidies and sweetheart deals to do so. If there's a situation where two AFC teams happen to be the ones that exhaust all their options in their current city, then they'll just realign. I'm not sure if you meant that the NFL would favor certain teams moving over others because of conference/division alignment or that the league would realign, but I don't think they care which teams move... just about who can get the best deals where they're at now.

Why is San Diego in limbo? Wouldn't San Diego like to keep their team? Is San Diego out of money?

I'm being serious here, why can't they get a proposal done downtown?

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

San Diego doesn't want to put up the kind of money the Chargers want them to.

The Chargers seem to want to tie their stadium to other projects - especially renovating the convention center. The city appears to be hesitant to do that. They've also said the Chargers' contribution, as well as the NFL's, would have to be much higher.

So there's the stalemate.

Can't they just swap an LA team for another team in the packages? Like Fox gets NFC except for say Arizona, plus the Chargers, while Cbs gets Afc minus chargers plus Arizona? Obviously CBS won't give up an la team, but if the package is sold that way up front wouldn't that work?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe, but I wonder if that might not make it too complicated.

It's more than just the home teams that affect the conference package prices. The road teams do as well. The AFC package means that CBS has opportunities to put Patriots games on national television, not only from Foxboro but also those in New York, Denver, Indianapolis and the like. By exempting one club from the standard conference contract, you're also pulling away certain games possibly featuring other marquee teams. I don't know how they would negotiate that, especially since the team's intra-conference opponents change from year to year.

So let's say hypothetically, 1-2 seasons from now the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers all haven't been able to secure stadium deals and are all targeting LA...what happens? Who is the NFL likely to prefer going to LA(not considering who is able to make stadium deals)? Are there any alternative markets out there for the 3rd team?

So let's say hypothetically, 1-2 seasons from now the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers all haven't been able to secure stadium deals and are all targeting LA...what happens? Who is the NFL likely to prefer going to LA(not considering who is able to make stadium deals)? Are there any alternative markets out there for the 3rd team?

Surprised everybody's forgotten about San Antonio (which I brought up earlier)...I still think they're the "untapped" market most likely to give a team its due support.

bYhYmxh.png

Surprised everybody's forgotten about San Antonio (which I brought up earlier)...I still think they're the "untapped" market most likely to give a team its due support.

The Alamodome needs major work to meet NFL standards now supposedly.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Toronto remains in play if you're actively looking for another market at least. And the NFL would yell London at you a bunch of times. Of course I think we'd all keep saying "no but really."

I'm also not convinced 1-2 years is the real timeframe here. The Chargers and Raiders have been actively seeking a new deal for a while, and the Chargers have been able to move for 7 years now and haven't. That could mean they're about spent and will leave before long, but it might mean they're in it for the long haul.

What the Rams do isn't tied to how those teams operate either, so I'm not saying that just because the Chargers have been patient the Rams will be. But it's not beyond precedent for a team to play on a year to year lease while working on a new stadium option for a while.

Could be 1-2 years. Could be 9-10. In reality, I think we're probably looking at 2-4 years before the Rams would pull the plug, but I'm certainly hopeful it's resolved one way or the other before then.

It's hard to have any idea of what the Raiders or Chargers will do. Although you do get the impression that Mark Davis may be ready to move sooner than later.

Portland wants to bring the Raiders to their town. Not the city, nor state, but fans:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/06/portland-fans-want-to-bring-the-raiders-to-town/

I don't see any plausible way this gets approved. For one, the Seahawks will object as the two markets overlap.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I don't know how Seattle can really claim the Portland market as somehow inviolably its own. That would be like NYC trying to prevent a team from moving into Philadelphia.

Very good analogy. Also, are most Portlanders (Portlandians? Portlandites?) fans of the Seahawks?

I don't know how Seattle can really claim the Portland market as somehow inviolably its own. That would be like NYC trying to prevent a team from moving into Philadelphia.

Very good analogy. Also, are most Portlanders (Portlandians? Portlandites?) fans of the Seahawks?

I doubt it...and I actually think PDX could work.

Trouble is, Providence Park (the stadium's NEWEST name...it'll always be Civic Stadium to me) is way too small even for a temporary home field...

bYhYmxh.png

Archived