Hardest City for Fictional Concept Leagues

macalesterscots

4 hours ago, texashockeyfan said:

While we're on the subject, what else is Boston known for besides its role in the American Revolution?  I was trying to think of a good team name for Boston but one that's not patriotic. 

The team eventually known as the Boston Braves had the right idea.  From the early 1880s to the early 1910s, this team was called the Boston Beaneaters.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Darknes said:

... they've also got a surprisingly high Portuguese/Azorean population as well.

The European Portuguese/Azorean population of the Bay State has always had a far larger presence in Southeastern Massachusetts than in Greater Boston.

While certain Metro Boston cities - Cambridge and Somerville spring to mind - are home to between 3,000 and 5,000 people, respectively, of European Portuguese/Azorean descent, SE Mass municipalities like New Bedford and Fall River play host to populations of 30,000 and 40,000 residents of Portuguese descent. Truth be told, if U.S. Census figures are to be believed, Boston itself is likely home to no more than 7,000 people of European Portuguese/Azorean extraction.  

On 3/4/2015 at 11:10 AM, Xist2inspire said:

Des Moines, Iowa (or just Iowa in general) has always given me major problems. "Energy" is used by their D-League team, "Hawkeyes" is used by their college (and "Hawks" is used by Atlanta), "Blackhawks" is used by Chicago, and finding a name that relates to the farming industry without sounding silly isn't easy at all.

I do Farmhands for my hockey league, and Haymakers for my football league. It is all I can do.

Looking for help in my hockey league...

The year is when the team began there.

Some are relocation, the Charlotte/Carolina one was the Orcas so there will be a name change for that one, but St. Louis could keep the Wolves moniker?

Miami/Florida 2000 Expansion

Charlotte/Carolina 2000 Relocation  

Washington 1992 Expansion 

Brooklyn 1974 Expansion

Portland 1992 Expansion

San Francisco 1990 Expansion

Los Angeles 1968 Expansion 

St. Louis 1964 Relocation (Wolves)

Kansas City 1974 Expansion

I need help with a league I’m developing in NHL 19...Here ya go:

• Montreal 1914
  • Colorado 1977 Relocation (Formerly Halifax Seagulls)
  • New York 1960 Expansion
  • San Francisco/Oakland/California 1960 Expansion
  • Raleigh/Carolina 1995 Relocation (Formerly Cincinatti Braves)
  • Vancouver 1971 Expansion
  • Winnipeg/Manitoba 1973 Expansion
  • Toronto 1926

spacer.png

RxrX5RD.png

On 6/2/2019 at 7:26 AM, heavybassX said:

Cin

I doubt he was looking for a vote, I assume he was looking for potential team names.

On that note @neo_prankster, I've always wanted to utilize a Mountain Goat (but not a ram) for Denver. And Cincinnati is a challenging one for me as well. They were the Queen City at one point, so I've leaned towards Monarchs for that. They were also known as The Blue Collar City, so Blues is another one I've thought of, but is similar to the Reds that do exist.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:04 PM, JG36 said:

Looking for help in my hockey league...

The year is when the team began there.

Some are relocation, the Charlotte/Carolina one was the Orcas so there will be a name change for that one, but St. Louis could keep the Wolves moniker?

Miami/Florida 2000 Expansion

Charlotte/Carolina 2000 Relocation  

Washington 1992 Expansion 

Brooklyn 1974 Expansion

Portland 1992 Expansion

San Francisco 1990 Expansion

Los Angeles 1968 Expansion 

St. Louis 1964 Relocation (Wolves)

Kansas City 1974 Expansion

Anyone?

• I've always loved Flamingos for Miami and/or Florida teams, especially with the ideas for color schemes. Manatees is another one I like a lot too but don't see used a lot.
  • Charlotte can go multiple ways with an aviation theme (Aviators/Pilots/Fighters) or a coastal theme if using the name Carolina (Whitecaps/Loggerheads/pirate themed name).
  • Washington is mostly a presidential or American theme. I can't really help you here unless you decide to use a generic name.
  • Brooklyn's another I'm not terribly familiar with
  • Portland can go "Wild West" (Pioneers/Lumberjacks) although it would be similar to the Trail Blazers. 
  • I like to use Sea Lions for San Francisco.
  • Los Angeles has a few you can use. You can either go Latin-themed (Conquistadores/Aztecs/Jaguars) or, if you're feeling adventurous, prehistoric-themed (Mammoths/Mastadons/Sabretooths). This might not fit a 1960's team, however, 
  • I like St. Louis Wolves. It doesn't fit as of modern day, but it is still a generic enough nickname to work. I also love the name Archers for St. Louis and sometimes use Gatekeepers/Guardians.
  • Kansas City is a tough one, so I generally go Bison. Not one I use terribly often.

Hopefully this helps in some capacity. 

6 hours ago, JG36 said:

Anyone?

Ok. I’ll do this ONLY if you suggest names for me.

• Miami is full of influence from all sides, so the hard part is really choosing which name to pick! I would suggest Tortugas or Waves. Don’t use Conquistadors, as Certain indigenous peoples and/or their ancestors could get offended (Think of it like the whole Long Beach 49ers thing).
  • Carolina Aviators. Use your common sense on this one.
  • With Washington, you can either go army-like (Marines, Arsenal) Or patriotic (Ambassadors, Senators, Eagles) Which is overused.
  • Have you ever considered using New York as a geographical identifier? Oh, and try Gothams.
  • Portland Loggers, Pioneers, or Lumberjacks.
  • San Francisco has to wait until 1990 to get a team? Smoke Jumpers. Those are like the paratroopers of Forest Fire Fighting. I read it online recently.
  • Los Angeles Olympics. The city has hosted two of ‘em and a third is on the way.
  • I like Wolves.
  • Kansas City Cowboys. Boom, Boom, and BOOM.

There. Now will you help me with mine, please?

spacer.png

RxrX5RD.png

On 6/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, ItsSlothy said:

• Montreal 1914
  • Toronto 1926

Montreal Citadelles

Colorado Rapids

New York Boroughs

San Francisco Fog

Carolina Hurricanes

Vancouver Volcanoes

Winnipeg Freeze (this one was difficult)

Toronto Hogs

2 hours ago, Joke Insurance said:

Montreal Citadelles

Colorado Rapids

New York Boroughs

San Francisco Fog

Carolina Hurricanes

Vancouver Volcanoes

Winnipeg Freeze (this one was difficult)

Toronto Hogs

Doesn't Carolina already have the Hurricanes? Ditto for the Rapids.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, ItsSlothy said:

• Montreal 1914
  • Toronto 1926

Montreal- think of something obscure but classic, like Blueshirts or Stripes or something

Colorado- Crush

New York- another generic name, maybe something horse related 

San Francisco- Gold, Whales

Carolina- think of something reeeeally 90s for this one. I had a football league years ago with a team called the Jethawks or Skyhawks or something.

Vancouver- pretty much has to be native or ocean related. Totems, Thunderbirds, Orcas

Winnipeg- maybe Antlers?

Toronto- see: Montreal

15 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Doesn't Carolina already have the Hurricanes? Ditto for the Rapids.

The user put specific years next to the team.

Carolina has 1995 next to them. The year works out. Also, I couldn't think of anything that doesn't involve meteorology or aviation, haha.

Colorado has 1977 next to it. So said franchise got to the Rapids monkier long before the current MLS team. Also, I couldn't think of anything else for them, haha.

Archived