Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

Why don't we try to make more American fans of Canadian teams? Get new/casual/unaffiliated fans to root for the Montreal Canadiens the way people do for the Yankees. Of course, the dilemma there is that those people probably don't even know where Montreal is because when we study maps in grade school, there's nothing north of the United States. Still, promote the Habs as a team people all across the continent can get behind.

Americans are frontrunners first and foremost. The reason the Yankees, Steelers, and Cowboys have so many fans is because those teams won a lot of championships in a short amount of time. (Not to mention, they did it on a much bigger stage.) Just telling Americans "hey, even though they haven't won jack since 1993, this Montreal team is hockey's version of the Yankees" ain't gonna do it.

Why not? Seems to work for the Rangers. NBC pushes them as the NHL's Yankees. And they haven't won anything since 1994.

Does it really "work for the Rangers?" If so, how? (Not to mention, with just 4 Stanley Cups on their ledger, the Rangers are more like the NHL's version of the Cincinnati Reds.)

Anyway, If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe 10% of NBC's NHL audience is "unaffiliated." And I doubt it's that high. At this point, any narrative NBC comes up with is just preaching to the choir. Hockey fans watch whatever game NBC is airing because they're hockey fans. And as such, the vast majority of them already have a team. It's not like NBC is getting a couple million unaffiliated viewers to influence every week. Point being that I don't think NBC coming up with some sort of "Montreal is the NHL version of the Yankees" narrative is going to move overall American interest in the Habs needle much, if at all. Anyone interested in the Habs is already watching the NBC games. And just like you and Zach, they're probably bitching about the number of times Buffalo is on NBC.

Like it or not, when it comes to TV viewers in the U.S., the NHL is very similar to MLB. We watch our favorite team and we aren't much interested in anything else. You guys like to make fun of me on BASS because I'll "watch whatever baseball game happens to be on at the moment." What I find amusing is that you two are exactly the same way when it comes to hockey and, just like me with baseball, it seems to cloud your judgement. We have to remember that not everyone is looking at our respective games through the same "it's the greatest thing ever" prism that we are. Both sports could use a whole lot more people like us.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like it or not, when it comes to TV viewers in the U.S., the NHL is very similar to MLB. We watch our favorite team and we aren't much interested in anything else. You guys like to make fun of me on BASS because I'll "watch whatever baseball game happens to be on at the moment." What I find amusing is that you two are exactly the same way when it comes to hockey and, just like me with baseball, it seems to cloud your judgement. We have to remember that not everyone is looking at our respective games through the same "it's the greatest thing ever" prism that we are. Both sports could use a whole lot more people who are just like us.

Yeah, but baseball sucks :P

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Like it or not, when it comes to TV viewers in the U.S., the NHL is very similar to MLB. We watch our favorite team and we aren't much interested in anything else. You guys like to make fun of me on BASS because I'll "watch whatever baseball game happens to be on at the moment." What I find amusing is that you two are exactly the same way when it comes to hockey and, just like me with baseball, it seems to cloud your judgement. We have to remember that not everyone is looking at our respective games through the same "it's the greatest thing ever" prism that we are. Both sports could use a whole lot more people who are just like us.

Whatever. Now I hope your Ducks lose to Cal-Gary.

BB52Big.jpg

*procedes to club you like Juan Marichal with a baseball bat*

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

*procedes to club you like Juan Marichal with a baseball bat*
What? I can't hear you over our obviously superior sport!

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

:( b-b-but Greg... it's a cow town...

I still haven't seen cows walking on the street :P. That'd be pretty sweet if it does happen though.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Doesn't matter. They have a place called the Saddle Dome. I mean how cool is that? Cal-Gary is awesome.

BB52Big.jpg

They also have one of the most die hard fanbases in the league. I was at the Red Mile for Game 5 of the 2004 Stanley Cup Final and the recent clincher against Vancouver, and there was no difference. So many red jerseys you could barely move :). I can only imagine how it'll get if they go further.

On another note, who doesn't love a good game 7!

Doesn't matter. They have a place called the Saddle Dome. I mean how cool is that? Cal-Gary is awesome.

Even as an Oilers fan, it's hard to argue with that.

That Eastern Conference sure is tough. The Red Wings haven't won a playoff series there yet!

Scheduling losses. Takes time to adjust to all these early starts.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There are 8 teams left in the dance and I really don't have any Sabresrule-esque issues with any of them.

I'm always a little bummed after the first round. It's like postpartum depression.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Y'know what? I wouldn't be too mad if any of these teams won it all. I'd definitely rather not see Calgary win it, but I can get behind even them.

Archived