Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

I didn't know that was a rule.... not that anyone has ever done that intentionally before.

Just looking through the rules, haven't found anything yet. All it says is about hands, and head-butting an opposing player. I guess it's technically deliberately using your equipment which I can see why it would be illegal, but so far have not found anything that says it is.

If such be the case the Refs and SitRoom in Toronto might have just actually used perceived "common sense."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know that was a rule.... not that anyone has ever done that intentionally before.

Just looking through the rules, haven't found anything yet. All it says is about hands, and head-butting an opposing player. I guess it's technically deliberately using your equipment which I can see why it would be illegal, but so far have not found anything that says it is.

If such be the case the Refs and SitRoom in Toronto might have just actually used perceived "common sense."

I can't find anything either. I can find the known ones, kicking and batting a puck into the net, but I've always taken "batting" in that case to mean deflecting with an arm or hand. If there's nothing more specific then it would seem Chicago got screwed there.

Disregard. They showed the rule on the broadcast. Still pretty damn cool, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

From the Situation Room's blog:

At 8:47 of double overtime in the Chicago Blackhawks/Anaheim Ducks game, video review supported the referee's call on the ice that Andrew Shaw deliberately headbutted the puck into the Anaheim net. According to Rule 78.5 (i) "Apparent goals shall be disallowed when the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick." No goal Chicago.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=3527

cmm just beat me to it. That's why I couldn't find it - in the depths of the rule book - though what are the odds the rules committee just wrote that rule in the span of the last twenty minutes? :)

12:30am. Thanks, NBC/NHL.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

HEY LET'S START A GAME AT 8:30 PM CT BECAUSE IT'S NOT LIKE THE BLACKHAWKS EVER GO TO OVERTIME AND IT'S NOT LIKE PEOPLE WORK IN THE MORNING ANYWAY AND IT'S NOT LIKE KIDS HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL AND IT'S NOT LIKE THEY'RE A MAJOR HOCKEY MARKET AND IT'S NOT LIKE WE HAVE SOULS

12:30am. Thanks, NBC/NHL.

Why, yes, a game should start way earlier than 6:30 local time on a Tuesday night. Totally.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ducks should have won that game three times over (three and a half if you count the header goal being disallowed. who knew?). Kimmo Timonen can't play. The hockey gods will make the Hawks pay for this. The hockey gods live on the east coast and hate these late endings even more than Hawks fans do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why, yes, a game should start way earlier than 6:30 local time on a Tuesday night. Totally.

I don't know what point you're trying to make, but I'm guessing it's mundane and in a bland way trying to make me look stupid. Or not, I'm too tired to tell.
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

He's saying that it would be just as unfair to start early on the west coast.

I can at least abide an 8:15 start on the west coast. It was starting at 8:45 at home that was unacceptable.

Screw all of this logic. Blackhawks should have an assumed OT rule that grants all their games a 9:30am puck drop.

Edit: interested in Timonen's total ice time. Arguably Bowman's worst acquisition.

Edit 2: Timonen had 16:45 TOI. That's...that's embarrassing.

twitter

Well all the trendoids live in Cali and god forbid they miss the start of games; so everyhing must start late at night so they are home even though they dont really care and just watch sports because it is the thing to do and California is the most important state because thats where all the fabouless people live. The East Coast fans they dont matter. That is why MNF starts at almost 9 becuase the Cali people cant miss the start of the game even though the ending is more important and the game dont end to midnight meaning kids on the east coast never see the ends of World Series and MNF. Never see NBA Finals games end and overtime in the NHL.

Yeah this has grinded my gears for years.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What in the blue hell are you rambling about? Didn't you notice that the Hawks' series with Nashville and Minnesota were delayed to accommodate the east coast? or that the NHL's entire alignment and matrix is all screwed up to benefit the teams in Eastern Time?

Archived