Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are all these smug Anaheim fans?

I don't see much of it here besides The Six, and I think that's just him doing him.

The HFboards Ducks contingent is probably the cockiest fanbase around. Sharks fans sniff their own farts about rec leagues or whatever but have been beaten down by reality enough to lighten up about the actual hockey. But one person doesn't pick the Ducks to win a series and suddenly the whole world doesn't believe in them and everyone must be mocked for...thinking the things they didn't actually think, I guess. They remind me of Vancouver fans circa 2009-2011, if anything. Probably the preponderance of spoiled suburban kids to the exclusion of much of anyone else.

Ew, that right there yeah. The Six is basically the Morgo of 2010/11. Not to impugn upon the current Morgo or our old rivalry, of course. I feel like Cujo and I's mutual blind hatred of one another from last year was more vicious than that ever was.

Also, good to see your promise of staying away from the boards this season worked, Andy. You just can't quit the thread, can you?

C'mon, monkey. This isn't anything compared to classic CS85 salt overload.

Plus what would a playoff thread be without my indignation?

Circling back to the smug thing here.

Well, to be completely fair, you (And CS) do kinda instigate a LOT of it.

Back to your ramshackle mud hut, peon. Your foul odor is besmirching the good name of this century-aged cask of hockey Ambrosia.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Also, good to see your promise of staying away from the boards this season worked, Andy. You just can't quit the thread, can you?

C'mon, monkey. This isn't anything compared to classic CS85 salt overload.

Plus what would a playoff thread be without my indignation?

Hey hey hey. I'm better than most of those poo-flinging tick magnets. Well, maybe not the ones that are super smart that they study in labs or teach sign language to. But still, most monkeys!

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Wow, so many things to respond to!

First, uh, Quack.

Second, Freddie Andersen was pretty on point today, yeah? Nice to get the first win and to have Andersen finally "win" a game for us, but can't play with the Blackhawk fire forever. Have to be much better, especially at the start and the whole penalties thing.

Onto whatever happened in here,

I just kinda picture all Ducks fans as Zach, and he, well, kinda is smug. Hell, he'd tell you that. It's all in fun with him, unless he chanted Crawford, in which case we are enemies now.

Either the definition of smug has changed, or I guess, I'm smug. Either way. And to the second part... Annnnnnnnnnddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy B)

Also, I'm too lazy to make a meme for it but "Calls you out on twitter, Doesn't show up for the Periscope" ;)

Where are all these smug Anaheim fans?

I don't see much of it here besides The Six, and I think that's just him doing him.

The HFboards Ducks contingent is probably the cockiest fanbase around. Sharks fans sniff their own farts about rec leagues or whatever but have been beaten down by reality enough to lighten up about the actual hockey. But one person doesn't pick the Ducks to win a series and suddenly the whole world doesn't believe in them and everyone must be mocked for...thinking the things they didn't actually think, I guess. They remind me of Vancouver fans circa 2009-2011, if anything. Probably the preponderance of spoiled suburban kids to the exclusion of much of anyone else.

Judging any fan base based on their HFboards representation probably isn't the best metric. I'm sure the Chicago HFBoards folk are the rosiest either. I don't even go over there because of the stupid. Hell, we have a thread dedicated to it here! If it's anything like I've seen on some of the Facebook groups, then yes, I'm sorry for that.

And really admiral, I'm sorry, but do you read your own posts in this regard? C'mon man.

Well the Ducks do get hate on the interwebz though and there are people who have picked against the Ducks every series.

So when the Ducks sweep the Jets after a lot of people say the Jets are the most likely upset, there are many Ducks fans (HFboards, reddit? etc.) who go extremely out there with the "We showed you, you thought the Ducks were bad and they won." I think might also be the quick rise to relevance and vitrol on the internet after being under the radar or disregarded.

And I'm done with the "You don't like us, we don't care" that has been beaten to death.

:(

But yeah, I think it's a lot of that. No matter how good the Ducks are/have been, only when they've won the Cup have the Ducks gotten the collective pat on the head and told, hey you did a good hockey thing. No matter how many sellouts we have or how many people are actually at the games, it's "hey there's an empty seat on the glass" or "these SoCal fans can't be bothered to show up."

It's just tiresome.

So then on the flip side, when we do embrace it or turn heel or whatever, we get it back in spades. There's no winning on this front.

Anyways, on to Tuesday.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Still Mighty, what do you think of the return to the 2-division format and no more Northwest/Southwest Divisions?

The divisions and the playoff formats are two different issues. Two divisions are fine. Format needs work.

Still Mighty, what do you think of the return to the 2-division format and no more Northwest/Southwest Divisions?

Stop trying to make Divisional Chat happen Gretchen, it's not going to happen.

Sorry Zach, I was watching Mad Max: Fury Road to wash away what my eyes saw earlier today.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So when the Ducks sweep the Jets after a lot of people say the Jets are the most likely upset, there are many Ducks fans (HFboards, reddit? etc.) who go extremely out there with the "We showed you, you thought the Ducks were bad and they won." I think might also be the quick rise to relevance and vitrol on the internet after being under the radar or disregarded.

But yeah, I think it's a lot of that. No matter how good the Ducks are/have been, only when they've won the Cup have the Ducks gotten the collective pat on the head and told, hey you did a good hockey thing. No matter how many sellouts we have or how many people are actually at the games, it's "hey there's an empty seat on the glass" or "these SoCal fans can't be bothered to show up."

It's just tiresome.

I'm not sure I get that at all. I mean were there actually people thinking the Jets were going to upset the Ducks? I was pulling for the Jets in that series, and my metric for success would have been to win a game. Not four. The fact that they had a realistic shot at winning three blows my mind. Same thing with the Flames, really. Yeah, people may have preferred to see the them win, but I don't think any knowledgeable hockey fan who was being honest with themselves was going to actually pick them over Anaheim.

The Ducks have been the favourites in the two series they've played this post-season up until now. monkeypower's right about the way the fans have gone out of their way to let everyone know they're a good team. Problem is? The persecution complex, where everyone's picking against them, just isn't there. So it's less "we told you this team was good!" and more "ha! Isn't this team great? SUCK IT EVERYONE ELSE!" Which tends to rub people the wrong way.

There's also the "what did we do?" mentality that Ducks fans seem to have. Sports aren't logical. People don't need a good reason to dislike a team. Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but it does to them. And going "but why?" is just going to make things worse.

Finally, I find it funny that the team named after the movie about a group of underdogs beating a souless, evil team in all black has become the souless, evil team in all black that crushed two underdog feel-good stories on the way to the Conference Finals. That's less a "haha, you were founded by Disney" joke and more a "isn't it funny how that turned out?" observation.

I mean were there actually people thinking the Jets were going to upset the Ducks?

Yup. And more than a few. More than you're letting on. Hockey-wise, a lot of "pundits" were playing up the Jets physicality and how well Pavelec was playing at the end of the season. Even more of those people were playing up the sentimental part bringing up the Jets crowd and the first time back in the playoffs and all that. And even with some picking the Ducks, they thought they'd struggle a bit and take it to 6 and 7.

The Ducks have been the favourites in the two series they've played this post-season up until now. monkeypower's right about the way the fans have gone out of their way to let everyone know they're a good team. Problem is? The persecution complex, where everyone's picking against them, just isn't there. So it's less "we told you this team was good!" and more "ha! Isn't this team great? SUCK IT EVERYONE ELSE!" Which tends to rub people the wrong way.

There's also the "what did we do?" mentality that Ducks fans seem to have. Sports aren't logical. People don't need a good reason to dislike a team. Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but it does to them. And going "but why?" is just going to make things worse.

Well the thing here is, especially on the internet, even a simple "we told you this team was good" gets construed into a "SUCK IT" quite easily. And it's not even a persecution complex thing. To me, it's more about a good team actually being recognized as good. Hell, even when they won the Cup, there wasn't any of this "oh, wow. How cool for California hockey?" like we've seen recently until the Kings won. And in those articles, the Kings Cups tend to be brought up more and the Ducks tossed in as a secondary detail. "Oh, and the Ducks won the Cup in 2007 first. But, MAN, those Kings, eh?"

But of course all of that, the Internet/Other Fans/My Thoughts, all fall under your second point there, Sports aren't logical. That's how I feel about it, so suck it :PB)

Finally, I find it funny that the team named after the movie about a group of underdogs beating a souless, evil team in all black has become the souless, evil team in all black that crushed two underdog feel-good stories on the way to the Conference Finals. That's less a "haha, you were founded by Disney" joke and more a "isn't it funny how that turned out?" observation.

Sports logic, Mike.

The persecution complex, where everyone's picking against them, just isn't there.

I actually do remember most of the writers on ESPN.com picking the Jets over the Ducks. A lot of people were doubting the Ducks.

Here's another example from an SBnation Flyers blog: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/4/14/8407809/nhl-playoff-predictions-2015-stanley-cup-winners A good amount of those people had the Jets beating the Ducks, while only 1 person had the Wild over the Blues...

I mean were there actually people thinking the Jets were going to upset the Ducks?

Yup. And more than a few. More than you're letting on. Hockey-wise, a lot of "pundits" were playing up the Jets physicality and how well Pavelec was playing at the end of the season. Even more of those people were playing up the sentimental part bringing up the Jets crowd and the first time back in the playoffs and all that. And even with some picking the Ducks, they thought they'd struggle a bit and take it to 6 and 7.

I believe Mike and Greg both agreed it was the most likely first round upset...

The persecution complex, where everyone's picking against them, just isn't there.

I actually do remember most of the writers on ESPN.com picking the Jets over the Ducks. A lot of people were doubting the Ducks.

It was five out of 13, with the other 8 picking the Ducks in no less than 6, five of those in 7.

It was five out of 13, with the other 8 picking the Ducks in no less than 6, five of those in 7.

Five out of eight isn't "most" though :) Most went with the Ducks because, hey. They were clearly the better team.

And if you're upset that they didn't pick them in a sweep? Sorry man, but that's just making things worse on Ducks fans' end. "Sure most people picked us to win, but not in a sweep! Clearly everyone hates us!"

No. They thought the Jets were playing well enough to give the Ducks fits. And you know what? They weren't wrong. It was a sweep, but let's not pretend it was a dominating Ducks performance. Looking back? The idea that the Jets could have won a game or two isn't evidence of some anti-Ducks bias. It was actually pretty on the mark. It was just a weird series that was both very tight and a sweep.

I believe Mike and Greg both agreed it was the most likely first round upset...

I did say that. I also picked the Ducks to win in the end. Looking back? I don't think I was wrong, given how the series went, for the above reasons.

And in those articles, the Kings Cups tend to be brought up more and the Ducks tossed in as a secondary detail. "Oh, and the Ducks won the Cup in 2007 first. But, MAN, those Kings, eh?"

But of course all of that, the Internet/Other Fans/My Thoughts, all fall under your second point there, Sports aren't logical. That's how I feel about it, so suck it :PB)

Fair enough :D

If we're bringing BASS talking points up though? You did point out that talking heads were comparing the 2007 Ducks to some of the dominating Canadiens teams of years past. I'm not sure you can claim the Ducks' Cup win is under-appreciated when people compare the team in question to some of the best hockey teams of all time.

I remember thinking the Ducks 07 win should have been a bigger deal. It was California's first cup and the resulting celebrations all seemed pretty low key to my eyes. Somebody penned an article about it shortly after but it has since vanished from the internet

I remember thinking the Ducks 07 win should have been a bigger deal. It was California's first cup and the resulting celebrations all seemed pretty low key to my eyes. Somebody penned an article about it shortly after but it has vanished from the internet

I know right? I didn't see anyone celebrating the Ducks win where I live. We as people should really be more gratified for other sports teams successes.

I remember thinking the Ducks 07 win should have been a bigger deal. It was California's first cup and the resulting celebrations all seemed pretty low key to my eyes. Somebody penned an article about it shortly after but it has vanished from the internet

I know right? I didn't see anyone celebrating the Ducks win where I live. We as people should really be more gratified for other sports teams successes.

I was talking about the celebrations in California.

And if you're upset that they didn't pick them in a sweep? Sorry man, but that's just making things worse on Ducks fans' end. "Sure most people picked us to win, but not in a sweep! Clearly everyone hates us!"

Another thing with this, I don't know why this is only being lobbied on the Ducks. There are those fans in EVERY fan base.

And in those articles, the Kings Cups tend to be brought up more and the Ducks tossed in as a secondary detail. "Oh, and the Ducks won the Cup in 2007 first. But, MAN, those Kings, eh?"

Fair enough :D

If we're bringing BASS talking points up though? You did point out that talking heads were comparing the 2007 Ducks to some of the dominating Canadiens teams of years past. I'm not sure you can claim the Ducks' Cup win is under-appreciated when people compare the team in question to some of the best hockey teams of all time.

Damn it, Mike! Sports logic! :upside:

Archived