NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

There's no doubt that this is an ego trip by Bettman. He's already got egg on his face from the Thrashers moving, so he'll do anything he can to keep that illegitimate franchise down south so he doesn't get hit again.

What a joke.

yes league decisions are subject to the whims and ego of Gary Bettman and not the best interests of the team owners who want to make as much money as possible

:rolleyes:

"no doubt" hahahaha you idiots won't be happy until every Canadian city with more than 30,000 people has an NHL team

OMMF. Not this again.

First of all, CRichardson is American, which completely throws your argument away. Second of all, I have never met one of those "all Canadian cities deserve a team", let alone one on this board. No one thinks Saskatoon deserves a team. No one thinks Fredrickson deserves a team. No one thinks Moosejaw deserves a team. That notion was only created by people like you. The only thing I - and people like me - want is for the Coyotes to move to Québec, and perhaps another Ontario team down the road. That's it. Eight, maybe nine Canadian teams. That's all. I'd actually rather see Seattle get a team over Toronto/Markham. Anyway, point is nobody wants 30 Canadian NHL teams. Not 25 either. Not 20. Not even 10. If I had a penny for every time Ice Cap went through this, I'd be filthy rich.

Oh, look. Ice Cap just went through this with you. How did I know?

Exactly!

Sometimes I just can't get over how dumb some people are.

Yeah, I don't think anyone really wanted anything more than the eight teams that were in the league before (except for maybe the Hamilton Is A World Unto Itself lunatic fringe). I'm fine with eight, nine if Halifax explodes in a good way but the likelihood of that is infinitesimal at best. The whole "you people want every team in Canada" strawman is dumb. I don't think anyone sensible is even arguing for Saskatoon, let alone Yellowknife, so put it away already.

It is refreshing that the Leafs fans here are on board with a Quebec City team. Elsewhere on the internet, there seem to be Leafs fans who get upset over any Canadian team other than Montreal being in the NHL. Maybe it's because they still think the Edmonton Oilers are horning in on their turf. More likely, having to attend sporting events with teams from Ottawa and Winnipeg peskily reminds Leafs fans that Toronto is still in Canada.

I love the Leafs as much as one can sensibly "love" a pro sports franchise. That being said, some members of "Leafs Nation" really are idiots. Though that can be said about any team's fanbase.

Yeah, I don't think anyone really wanted anything more than the eight teams that were in the league before (except for maybe the Hamilton Is A World Unto Itself lunatic fringe).

*AHEM*

For one thing Hamilton used to be in the NHL. Secondly Hamilton can support an NHL better than either Winnipeg or Quebec put together.

So it would be nice if you can put away your anti-Hamilton bigotry for once and all...

:cursing:

tigercatssignature-1.png

Yeah, I don't think anyone really wanted anything more than the eight teams that were in the league before (except for maybe the Hamilton Is A World Unto Itself lunatic fringe).

*AHEM*

For one thing Hamilton used to be in the NHL. Secondly Hamilton can support an NHL better than either Winnipeg or Quebec put together.

So it would be nice if you can put away your anti-Hamilton bigotry for once and all...

No just no.

Methinks you've drank too much of that harbour water kool-aid.

1zqy8ok.gif

*AHEM*

*AHEM*

Two reasons why Hamilton will NEVER sniff the NHL again:

1 - The arena sucks

2 - The juggernaut up the QEW known as Maple Leaf Sports and World Domination Entertainment

The first is fixable. The second is not.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

*AHEM*

If it's Winnipeg and Quebec City put together then it's not "either" of them. Also, you can be bigoted against a race, a religious group, a gender, or sexual orientation. I don't think bigotry just against a particular city is a "thing." Not on the level of the before-mentioned examples anyway. Not by a long shot.

I admit, I'd love it if Hamilton could somehow get a team. It would be great to have a Canadian NHL team within driving distance that I could actually get tickets to. Thing is, MLSE would never allow it. Yeah, the Leafs could probably continue on as the juggernaut of southern Ontario even with a Hamilton team, but they still won't allow it. Plus the Sabres might go bankrupt. Though that's not quite the problem it used to be in Gary Bettman's NHL....

Point is Winnipeg made money hand over fist, and will likely continue to do so. The move from Atlanta was extremely profitable. Do I think a team in Hamilton, if given a chance, could reach those levels. Very likely, yeah. It's never going to happen though.

And saying Hamilton would be more successful then the Jets and the potential Nords 2.0 put together is just crazy talk. More successful then one of the two? Maybe, if everything works out. Both? Not on your life.

Also, remember that the one person who had both the money and leverage to make putting an NHL team in Hamilton a possibility has a whole lot less of both nowadays.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm sure that Southern Ontario Not Toronto Or GTA But Just Whatever Southern Ontario is lovely, but they're not going to have an NHL team because it's very much the Maple Leafs' territory, if not de jure than de facto. And you can't say it's not. There are many Leafs fans, too many Leafs fans, from coast to coast to coast. They were the "home team" for all of English Canada until like 40 years ago. And yet apparently you drive to Kitchener and people say "who are these 'Mapled Leaves' you speak of?"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I admit, I'd love it if Hamilton could somehow get a team. It would be great to have a Canadian NHL team within driving distance that I could actually get tickets to. Thing is, MLSE would never allow it. Yeah, the Leafs could probably continue on as the juggernaut of southern Ontario even with a Hamilton team, but they still won't allow it.

This is just more evidence of my theory that the people who want a Hamilton team the most are not this fictitious Great Unaffiliated spanning across the peninsula, but just good old Maple Leafs fans. Whether it's "I'd love a team in Hamilton so I could actually afford to see the Leafs," or "I'd love a team in Hamilton so that they can give some healthy competition to the Leafs," or "I'd love a team in Hamilton because the huge encroachment fee they'd pay could really help the Leafs," the desire to see this area get a team is almost entirely informed by somehow improving the fortunes of the Maple Leafs. It's a fantasy. Everything as far as Windsor belongs to the Leafs.

sregion.gif

the_lion_king_everywhere_the_light_touches_display.jpg

- Everything the maple leaf touches will be yours.

- Everything?

- Yes.

- What about that shadowy place?

- That's Detroit. That's beyond our borders. You must never go there.

- I thought MLSE can do whatever it wants.

- ...there's more to being king than buying players all the time, Burkie.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Doesn't Buffalo's new owner have a lot of money though Ice Cap?

Really that ends up being irrelevant. When teams go bankrupt, the owner usually remains a wealthy millionaire. Unfortunately many NHL teams lose money and the owner simply has to be passionate enough to absorb the losses. That said, the goal is to turn a profit or at least to limit the deficit. So saying that it's okay if the Sabres income falls dramatically just because the owner is super wealthy doesn't work.

First of all, CRichardson is American, which completely throws your argument away. Second of all, I have never met one of those "all Canadian cities deserve a team", let alone one on this board. No one thinks Saskatoon deserves a team. No one thinks Fredrickson deserves a team. No one thinks Moosejaw deserves a team. That notion was only created by people like you. The only thing I - and people like me - want is for the Coyotes to move to Québec, and perhaps another Ontario team down the road. That's it. Eight, maybe nine Canadian teams. That's all. I'd actually rather see Seattle get a team over Toronto/Markham. Anyway, point is nobody wants 30 Canadian NHL teams. Not 25 either. Not 20. Not even 10. If I had a penny for every time Ice Cap went through this, I'd be filthy rich.

Oh, look. Ice Cap just went through this with you. How did I know?

Well said! Myself, all I want is an NHL team back in Quebec City where it truly belongs. And Goldwater Institute can open the door for that.

Just curious - when a major arena is built in a suburb (like Landover MD, Glendale, Pontiac, etc.), does the anchor city contribute anything since its name generally gets associated with the team and they probably benefit from hotel taxes, or is it the suburb who assumes all the risk for the project? Or would each case be totally different?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.