NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

"If Canada is so great, why do the Senators struggle?"
"They play too far from the city."
"Well, there you go. Anyway, Atlanta should get a team back and play too far from the city."

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

Them throwing an NHL team in Forsyth would be the league absolutely stating that the reason the Thrashers failed was that they were too far away from rich white people to succeed.

Thanks for the local perspective. And that makes sense. Some places succeed as transit arenas, others as parking lot arenas.

Feels dumb to cater to the F-150 crowd indefinitely, but that's why I don't live in Atlanta.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

How far away is Forsyth from Atlanta?

The site is 25.5 miles northeast of the CNN Center as the crow flies, 28.5-mile drive. Compare with 10 and 13 miles, respectively, to the Braves' office park.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

How far away is Forsyth from Atlanta?

State Farm Arena to Krish Salon (random business on the same intersection identified in the article) = 29.1 miles

And just for fun:

Kaseya Center (Heat) to FLA Live Arena = 35.0 miles

Footprint Center to Desert Diamond Arena/Jobberdome = 18.1 miles

Canadian Tire Centre to LaBreton Flats = 17.2 miles

1 hour ago, TalktoChuck said:

Them throwing an NHL team in Forsyth would be the league absolutely stating that the reason the Thrashers failed was that they were too far away from rich white people to succeed.

How does the "BUT YOU SAID hockey is for everyone!" crowd reconcile their obvious enthusiasm for Atlanta expansion with the fact that it would be part of yet another racist, classist, and all-around exclusionary real estate scheme? Because it really does seem to be the same people. 

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

How does the "BUT YOU SAID hockey is for everyone!" crowd reconcile their obvious enthusiasm for Atlanta expansion with the fact that it would be part of yet another racist, classist, and all-around exclusionary real estate scheme? Because it really does seem to be the same people. 

well personally I think there never should've been an NHL team anywhere south of St. Louis, California notwithstanding

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

53Ocz8U.png

51 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Dallas has worked well as an NHL market.

Dallas is almost too big to fail. The DFW area is obviously massive. I don't know their TV situation but I imagine no team in Houston means that, in addition to the usual Dallas territory, whatever broadcast area would be covered by a Houston franchise goes to the Stars instead*. And even with all that they were still under league ownership and lost buckets of money in the late 00s, and sold for a pittance in the early 2010s.

*But we still REALLY NEED a team in Houston. Can you imagine a Dallas-Houston hockey rivalry?? You don't understand, we NEED a Footprint in Houston to Grow The Game!

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Dallas has worked well as an NHL market.

There are a handful of southern cities that have proven themselves good NHL markets. However, on this board there is a group who like to complain about southern teams no matter what. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Yawn 1

T1oYViW.png

9 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

While the fanbase topic may have been part of the issue, look up Atlanta Spirit LLC (now coincidentally known as Atlanta Hawks LLC) as an ownership group and you'll see another issue why the Thrashers failed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/712210-franchise-assassins-how-the-atlanta-sprit-group-killed-the-thrashers

In This House, We Believe

It Was All Joe Johnson's Fault

Our Fans Are Heckin' Wholesome

The New Arena Will Have Good IPAs

It'll Be Where The Real Fans Actually Live

The Rivalry With Dallas Will Grow the Game

• LOL 1

Hard-lining "no hockey teams should be in the south!" is as dumb as making excuses for the southern markets that have clearly failed. 

But I haven't seen this large swath of Redditors rushing to Atlanta's defense like Admiral claims exists. Mostly the reaction I've seen about this announcement is "uhhh why???" and "They get a third try, but X doesn't get a second?" or "X doesn't get a first try?" I don't think many hockey fans are sticking up for Atlanta and the ones who are are like 15 year olds romanticizing the wacky asymmetrical jerseys, but are too young to remember the Atlanta Thrashers as the silly useless goofs that they actually were. We shouldn't do Atlanta again. 

On 4/8/2023 at 7:05 PM, Digby said:

I personally cannot fathom very many cities than can support more than one 18k arena. Feels like NYC and LA and that’s it. That’s always been the flashing warning light about this Sixers idea to me. How do the Twin Cities pull it off?

Columbus has two 18,000 seats arenas set four miles apart, built two years apart, and it's still stupid to this very day. Creative arena refinancing saved the Blue Jackets about 12ish years ago, but they were only in that mess to begin with because Ohio State absolutely refuses to be a good partner with anyone in the city who isn't Ohio State. It's why the NHL has never hosted an outdoor game at Ohio Stadium and it's why they schedule games and concerts opposite one another. I'm not ready to rule out deliberate antagonism on OSU's part. 

Nationwide Arena where the Blue Jackets play is vastly superior in every way to Value City Arena* so all's well that ends well, but if I had my way the two would've collaborated on a shared arena in the late 90's like NC State and the Hurricanes did.

*which is both a total dud as far as college basketball atmospheres go while also having all the bad hallmarks of early 90's arena design without the good stuff that came a couple years later. Nationwide Arena looks like it could've opened yesterday. OSU's arena is New Comiskey Park, Nationwide Arena is Camden Yards. Does that analogy make sense to anyone else? If I had my way Buckeyes basketball would still play games at St John's Arena, which is a rowdy old barn that still houses volleyball, Skull Sessions during football Saturdays, and sometimes basketball. That place could get loud and felt like it was gonna fall down when big games were rocking. It's one of those old venues that makes college basketball great. VCA is a corporate warehouse where old alums pay a ton of money to sit in the good seats and golf clap. It STINKS!

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

This video from August of 21 gives some perspective into how the Thrashers organization did do a lot to pwn itself. Though, at the same time, I used to work with a guy from Atlanta. He didn't even know they used to have an NHL team until I asked him how much people cared about it.

Also, FWIW, 15 of the last 23 Stanley Cup Finals - roughly 2/3rds - have featured a "non-traditional" market. Tampa Bay, Nashville, Vegas, and Dallas were all in the top-10 in attendance last year. You can swap Nashville for Carolina this season, as of a December article in The Athletic. HockeyDB shows Vegas dropping out of the top-10, with Tampa and Carolina only being bested by Montreal, by the end of this season. A Sports Business Journal article from just yesterday shows that only Dallas (less-than-one-percent decrease) and Tampa (no change) have not seen an increase in average attendance from last year among "non-traditional" franchises (not counting the Arizona State University Coyotes).

• Like 1

oBIgzrL.png

2 hours ago, Glover said:

There are a handful of southern cities that have proven themselves good NHL markets. However, on this board there is a group who like to complain about southern teams no matter what. 

By my count, looking at a map, there are 10 "southern" or "non-traditional" markets in the NHL. The three California teams, Vegas, Arizona, Dallas, Nashville, Carolina and the two Florida teams.

The only real surface level view problems in current years are are Arizona and Sunrise. Obviously there may be deeper issues when it comes to franchise value or revenue sharing or whatever, but none of the other eight seem all that unstable. There have been some shaky times, Yakuza and Iceman Cometh and Jim Balsillie,  and we'll see how much steam Vegas has but they seem fine enough now.

Not that any of that is a pro-Atlanta stance.

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

While the fanbase topic may have been part of the issue, look up Atlanta Spirit LLC (now coincidentally known as Atlanta Hawks LLC) as an ownership group and you'll see another issue why the Thrashers failed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/712210-franchise-assassins-how-the-atlanta-sprit-group-killed-the-thrashers

Oh, I’m fully aware that there were hundreds of reasons why the Thrashers failed, including the ownership group’s self-sabotage.

My point was, if the NHL goes back and puts the arena in Forsyth they are completely ignoring all those other reasons for the Thrashers failure and unfairly putting all the blame on demographics. 

jNTsTyQ.png

10 hours ago, who do you think said:

Dallas is almost too big to fail. The DFW area is obviously massive. I don't know their TV situation but I imagine no team in Houston means that, in addition to the usual Dallas territory, whatever broadcast area would be covered by a Houston franchise goes to the Stars instead*. And even with all that they were still under league ownership and lost buckets of money in the late 00s, and sold for a pittance in the early 2010s.

*But we still REALLY NEED a team in Houston. Can you imagine a Dallas-Houston hockey rivalry?? You don't understand, we NEED a Footprint in Houston to Grow The Game!

the Stars are one of a handful who have local TV on Bally's.