NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Key numbers: 56 GWG were scored in the 3 minutes of 4 on 4. 45 GWG were scored in the 4 minutes of 3 on 3. So yes, while the number of shootouts did go down, it is telling to me that fewer goals were actually scored during 3 on 3 play, despite there being an extra minute to work with.

Anyone who is pretending straight 3 on 3 will kill the shootout may be under some delusion.

Hang on there one minute, ramalamadingdong...

136 games go into 4on4 overtime and there's 56 "game-winners"....That's a success rate of 41%.

80 games make it into 3on3 OT, where there's 45 "game-winners" ...That's a success rate of 56%.

I'll swing by this neighbourhood around All-Star time next year, and you can attempt to call me "delusional" then.

Don't forget just how conservative coaches and teams get after January 1st. They can accept losing a shootout rather than in OT because of the ROW tiebreaker.

Bingo. If you lose in the shootout, you get a point and the other team gets a win that counts less. Most of all, you can't say you did anything wrong.

You want to kill the shootout, kill the loser point. Keep breaking ties in the win column with ROWs, sure, but stop padding the points and teams will play to win.

Yeah, that would work, but aren't we looking to be entertained?

Several years ago I treated a rep team that I was coaching to a year-end 3on3 tourny.

3on3....change on the fly...no face-offs...clear the zone after a goal....

Even when a penalty was called, the play kept on, and the "offended" team was awarded a penalty shot in a game-end shoot-out.

(So if my team had 2 penalties, the other team had 2 shots)

Anyway, it was fantastic non-stop action...chances galore!

I can remember addressing the parents in the lobby after the game.

These were battle-hardened rep parents that had been-there, done-that.

They couldn't contain their enthusiasm.

We do the 3on3 thing every year now.

I can almost guarantee you admiral, that the 3on3 OT will be the most exciting part of the game.

And if you're worried about coaches ruining this with some sort of "super-system"...well don't.

The fewer players on the ice; the harder it is to implement a "system'.

It'll be chaotic, fast and fun, and I'm convinced that it'll work.

Coaches are looking to stay employed, too. And there is an expectation by the fans and the GM's/front office for the coaches to come up with a game plan for 3-on-3 play. Coaches don't give a damn about the fans being entertained....see "neutral zone trap" and "1-3-1".

Hell, ask the Kings. Wasn't their shootout record like 3-15? You can bet your ass they'll be coming up with ways to win in 3-on-3 situations, as will the other 29 teams.

I know you're not comparing your beer-league team to NHL play. Hell, I don't even put heavy consideration on the AHL stats because these players/coaches are more concerned about practices between games and the parent club dictating how the farm team plays their games. They aren't scheming 3-on-3 play because that takes practice time away from the fundamentals and drills the parent club wants them to refine and perfect.

I had to triple check different sources just to make sure that Pronger thing wasn't a joke. That is hilarious. Really one of the funnier hockey things I've ever seen.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Coaches are looking to stay employed, too. And there is an expectation by the fans and the GM's/front office for the coaches to come up with a game plan for 3-on-3 play. Coaches don't give a damn about the fans being entertained....see "neutral zone trap" and "1-3-1".

Hell, ask the Kings. Wasn't their shootout record like 3-15? You can bet your ass they'll be coming up with ways to win in 3-on-3 situations, as will the other 29 teams.

I know you're not comparing your beer-league team to NHL play. Hell, I don't even put heavy consideration on the AHL stats because these players/coaches are more concerned about practices between games and the parent club dictating how the farm team plays their games. They aren't scheming 3-on-3 play because that takes practice time away from the fundamentals and drills the parent club wants them to refine and perfect.

I agree with everything you're saying here Hedley...Coaches will do their damnedest to scheme the crap out of this but...this ain't football.

The beauty of the 3on3 is that it's gonna be super-hard to put it into a box.

The 3on3 is more fluid, chaotic and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants than 5on5 or 4on4.

How would you scheme a 1on1 competition?

The fewer the players, the more it comes down to speed, skill and :censored: luck.

This'll have coaches pulling their hair out.

Their "scheme" will last 'til the first mistake and then it'll be good ol' pond hockey 101.

Don Maloney is saying the trade was contingent on Pronger agreeing to go into the Hall of Fame as a Coyote and I CAN'T TELL WHERE THE JOKES ARE ANYMORE HELP

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Damn, I was going to make the joke that the trade was contingent on Pronger agreeing to hang out with Anthony LeBlanc, but Don Maloney outdid me.

charger77, don't assume that he knows that.

Don Maloney is saying the trade was contingent on Pronger agreeing to go into the Hall of Fame as a Coyote and I CAN'T TELL WHERE THE JOKES ARE ANYMORE HELP

The joke's on us for supporting the National Hockey League

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can't leave him, I love him!
  • Like 2

I agree with everything you're saying here Hedley...Coaches will do their damnedest to scheme the crap out of this but...this ain't football.

The beauty of the 3on3 is that it's gonna be super-hard to put it into a box.

The 3on3 is more fluid, chaotic and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants than 5on5 or 4on4.

How would you scheme a 1on1 competition?

The fewer the players, the more it comes down to speed, skill and :censored: luck.

This'll have coaches pulling their hair out.

Their "scheme" will last 'til the first mistake and then it'll be good ol' pond hockey 101.

You can say it's going to be frenetic and chaotic because 3-on-3 situations have never been practiced. There simply weren't many 3-man opportunities that warranted practice time. That's going to change. Now there's a reason to practice 3-on-3 situations, and now there's a reason to add those coaching situations.

The only time there's been a 3-man practice situation is 4-on-3 or 5-on-3 power plays. Defensive situations. As Admiral alluded to, coaches will probably be more conservative and put two defensemen and a defensive-minded center and play "not to give up a goal" more so than "up-and-down, fast-paced, reckless abandon". With three players, coaches will likely tell their players to defend areas more than playing man-on-man. Coaches will find a way to slow the game down.

To be honest, I really think the NHL is starting to lose me. I mean, the game as we know it at the highest level is hopelessly broken, a bloated, over-coached mess, and rather than try anything meaningful to reverse that, they just throw gimmicks around and just kinda hope hockey fixes itself (which of course it doesn't). Of course, that's before you get into teams being insisted upon cities that don't really care about them, and the fact that we're heading for a needless expansion AND probably heading for another lockout later because dammit the NHL just isn't making enough money.

I just wonder if I'm the only one, 'cause sometimes it really feels like it...

I can't leave him, I love him!

You'll be better for it. You'll have more free time, more money in the pocket, and less headaches from banging your head against the wall. I divorced them in 2009, and I've cut down my Tylenol intake by 75%....

tigercatssignature-1.png

Flyers general manager Ron Hextall confirmed he was required to ask Pronger, who has been employed by the NHL for nearly a year in the Department of Player Safety, to waive his no-movement clause.

Pronger hasn’t skated since Nov. 19, 2011, in Winnipeg due to post-concussion symptoms. He is likely to be announced as a first-ballot Hockey Hall of Fame inductee on Monday afternoon.

OITGDNHL