NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Maybe Bridgeview was a crappy place for a soccer stadium. I spent my early childhood memorizing maps and I still don't entirely remember where Bridgeview is. I think it's by Midway, but that's not very specific. Maybe the Fire should have stayed at crappy Soldier Field.

I spent three nights in Bridgeview, and I still don't know where it is. Thank goodness my GPS did....

From checking The Sweet Workaround To Not Using Crappy New Google Maps For Which You Should Thank Me, it appears that Bridgeview city limits go from roughly 68th to 103rd, but not very far across. The inner southwest suburbs have always been especially mysterious to me. I mean, Worth, Bedford Park, Bridgeview, I know these are places that exist, but in a bonus round of Where in Chicagoland Is Carmen Sandiego?, I wouldn't have a prayer.

We stayed at the Super 8 in Bridgeview. Don't remember much about the area, other than a McDonald's across the street and a car parts store next door. Didn't spend much time there outside of the Three S's. The drive from there to the train station at Midway was hella weird, too.

At least I was able to find a grocery store to bring home some Matt's cookies.

Giving us a good idea in the worst way possible. I'd expect nothing less from the NHL.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The NHL's recent track record with "opening up the game" leads me to believe this 3-on-3 will end up being hockey's answer to Floyd Mayweather and shootouts will go up. Anyone beg to differ? dare to differ?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Straight to 3-on-3 overtime after 60 minutes next year pending board approval, WHAT CRAP.

Because the NHLPA was "adamantly opposed" to 4-on-4 then 3-on-3. It was either 3-on-3 or no change at all. Some garbage about more time = more possibility for injury, which sure I guess, but not really.

If we're so determined to avoid shootouts, we could always just not have shootouts at all. But we've had this talk before.

Also pending BoG approval, coaches challenge on goaltender interference and goals on offsides plays. Reviews wouldn't go off-ice or to Toronto. Refs would look at a monitor at the penalty box.. I'm good with that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

You can go 2-on-2 for 4 minutes, 1-on-1 for 69 minutes, or replace overtime completely with a center ice goalie fight; as long as regulation games are worth two points, and overtime games are worth three, you still haven't addressed the problem.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Don't forget nutless coaches like Dave Tippett who would just as soon burn five minutes doing nothing and pray for a shootout because that way you played Mistake-Free Hockey. If only you could legislate playing to win.

Not a fan of 3 on 3. I would say it's as far away from the game played during the original 60 minutes as the shootout is. Look at the AHL this year, it just devolves into line rushes and becomes hockey's equivalent of arena league football. The comparative quality from even 4 on 4 goes way down. Offensively or defensively there's really no way to structure yourself so at the least it will be interesting to see how teams approach it differently. A good puck playing goalie can have a huge impact with less players on the ice.

If I were in charge, OT would be 10 minutes 4 on 4, then if needed a 5 man shootout. A win in regulation nets you 3 points, in OT or shootout 2 points and the loser 1. I'd even rather skipping the shootout and calling it a tie after 4 on 4 before having any meaningful time played 3 on 3.

• Like 2

In a perfect world, we'd have ten minutes of 4-on-4. But, of course, those extra three shifts are far too risky for each player to play, so looks like we're stuck with something nearly as gimmicky and "unnatural" as the carnival game.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The NHL is going gimmicky because they've heard from the media and fans alike: We hate the shootout! The league doesn't want to return to ties.

Easy way to fix it, go soccer table scoring: 3 pts for a win, 1 pt for a tie. Overtime win is still 3 pts, no sharing of points!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

The absolute worst is when you hear GMs and execs say things like "Oh, we don't like the shootout, but the fans love it and find it exciting!". How patronizing. Hockey fans can appreciate a well-played hockey game and don't need to be stimulated with the contrived sense of excitement the shootout brings. Idiots.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The NHL is going gimmicky because they've heard from the media and fans alike: We hate the shootout! The league doesn't want to return to ties.

Easy way to fix it, go soccer table scoring: 3 pts for a win, 1 pt for a tie. Overtime win is still 3 pts, no sharing of points!

They should do nothing like soccer. Soccer is horrible. Ties are equally horrible. And I'm not a fan of shootouts, but they beat the hell out of watching hockey for two and a half hours and leaving with an outcome as if no game had occurred (to butcher an Admiral line). Sorry. People can call it "stupid American machismo" or whatever the hell, but games need a winner and a loser. I'm fine with 3 points for a regulation win, but they'd then need to go to 2 for an OT win and 1 for OTL.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The absolute worst is when you hear GMs and execs say things like "Oh, we don't like the shootout, but the fans love it and find it exciting!". How patronizing. Hockey fans can appreciate a well-played hockey game and don't need to be stimulated with the contrived sense of excitement the shootout brings. Idiots.

Exactly. They haven't a clue as to what fans like and want. Of course, the shootout can be exciting, but if a game ends in a tie, no one's going to cry because there wasn't a true winner.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

The absolute worst is when you hear GMs and execs say things like "Oh, we don't like the shootout, but the fans love it and find it exciting!".

The coaches seem to love it or else they'd play to win in overtime and avoid the shootout.

Exactly. They haven't a clue as to what fans like and want. Of course, the shootout can be exciting, but if a game ends in a tie, no one's going to cry because there wasn't a true winner.

Except the guy who posted directly above you and people like him.

Like it of not, there is a subset of American fans that absolutely loathe the idea of ties.

I don't really follow hockey, but I read The Instigator anyway. This league just can't help killing itself. They act like the ABA, but much bigger dollars.

I'd love to know what the NHL's 10-year plan is. Mostly so I can laugh at it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't really follow hockey, but I read The Instigator anyway. This league just can't help killing itself. They act like the ABA, but much bigger dollars.

I'd love to know what the NHL's 10-year plan is. Mostly so I can laugh at it.

I think there's actually 32 markets that could support an NHL team; whether or not the pieces fall into place...