NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I don't really follow hockey, but I read The Instigator anyway. This league just can't help killing itself. They act like the ABA, but much bigger dollars.

I'd love to know what the NHL's 10-year plan is. Mostly so I can laugh at it.

I think there's actually 32 markets that could support an NHL team; whether or not the NHL can find them...

I agree, the league could easily expand into Seattle and Quebec and succeed there, but as long as they have teams in locations such as Phoenix and Sunshine over Milwaukee and Portland they're going to have revenue and marketing problem.

I don't really follow hockey, but I read The Instigator anyway. This league just can't help killing itself. They act like the ABA, but much bigger dollars.

I think there's actually 32 markets that could support an NHL team; whether or not the NHL can find them...

I agree, the league could easily expand into Seattle and Quebec and succeed there, but as long as they have teams in locations such as Phoenix and Sunshine over Milwaukee and Portland they're going to have revenue and marketing problem.

Move Florida and Arizona (even though there's a chance Phoenix could work), expand/move to Portland, Milwaukee, Quebec City, and pick one from Seattle/Las Vegas/Hamilton/Kansas City.

It's gonna be over $500 million for at least one of those teams. The NHL's cash lust has led it to a surprisingly savvy move here, offering three candidate cities when everyone knows there are two slots. Québec has to be desperate as hell, because they're opening up a $450 million hockey palace in three months with the freaking Remparts as the anchor tenant. They're gonna pay over list price without a second thought to make sure that nonexistent Seattle bid doesn't somehow get in ahead of them.

Seattle resumes its rightful position as the Coyotes' escape hatch.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Probably another lockout somewhere in there.
  • Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So what's the most hilarious possible outcome? Vegas and Quebec are the only bidders, and one of them has to take the Coyotes instead a la the Kansas City Scouts' move to Denver in 1976?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, to hear it from Wings/Beej fans, Quebec can't even apply for expansion because we need to add two teams in the West, anywhere in the West, AND YOU CAN'T TAKE US AWAY FROM OUR TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My heart says Quebec City & Seattle. My head thinks Las Vegas & Quebec City.

Not sure how they'd align the conferences.

If I were running the league, I'd move the Panthers to Quebec City, Coyotes to Portland, & expand to Seattle & Vegas.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Guys, this is the GDNHL we're talking about. If we get Las Vegas/Quebec and Coyotes stay in Arizona for now, you know damn well the NHL would just run with 15/17 team conferences and 7-8/8-9 team divisions.

In a perfect world, the Red Wings would just be told to shove it and enjoy their long leisurely trips about the Western Conference, but that's not the case.

In a perfect perfect world, we wouldn't be talking about expansion at all, but whatever.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So what's the most hilarious possible outcome? Vegas and Quebec are the only bidders, and one of them has to take the Coyotes instead a la the Kansas City Scouts' move to Denver in 1976?

No no no... the most hilarious possible outcome would be Vegas, Quebec, Hamilton and Houston applying, and deep into the process the financials for both the Quebec and Vegas groups don't meet NHL muster, forcing the league to expand into Hamilton and Houston.

nav-logo.png

The Red Wings won the Western Conference 6 times in 20 years. There was no reason for them to move. Meanwhile the Blue Jackets had to move east for the health of the franchise and also we're the eastern most team. It should've been us all along.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well at least I'm relatively certain the new Vegas club won't institute zip code blackouts on ticket purchases for visiting fans.

They probably won't have many home games from late November to December too. NFR (rodeo) will boot them out around Thanksgiving for two weeks, their will be a NCAA holiday tournament to be booked and to end the year UFC come in on the last Saturday night.

Quebec's bid is coming from a French-Canadian media conglomerate. It's ironclad. The only problem is the league not wanting their money.

Can you say with certainty that the team will be a success there?

Seattle: Of course! As long as you don't make us suffer the growing pains of an expansion team, I mean I think we're a little too good for that, those hoser bastards will watch any old crap but we're Seattle

Quebec: bien sur!

Wait, did someone just speak :censored:ing French.

Seattle: Wasn't me.

Quebec: Hi didn't ear anyting.

QUEBEC LOSES BY FORFEIT

WINNER: SEATTLE BY A SCORE OF A MILLION TO NEGATIVE INFINITY

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Well at least I'm relatively certain the new Vegas club won't institute zip code blackouts on ticket purchases for visiting fans.

They probably won't have many home games from late November to December too. NFR (rodeo) will boot them out around Thanksgiving for two weeks, their will be a NCAA holiday tournament to be booked and to end the year UFC come in on the last Saturday night.

Booted out for two months for rodeos and college basketball? This sounds like a terrific place to have a Big Four franchise! Perhaps the NHL will be freethinking enough to also put a team in a city with no arena.

Booted out for two months for rodeos and college basketball? This sounds like a terrific place to have a Big Four franchise! Perhaps the NHL will be freethinking enough to also put a team in a city with no arena.
They could put one in Lloydminister or something. Play out on the pond, like when you were kids! Every game is the Winter Classic!

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

*Seattle waves*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*Seattle waves*
00ddce11eb42d72fd22ab4b7d9875eea4419fd39