NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Yes. The NHL format is needlessly complicated. That's a great way to describe it.

They used to have "top eight in each conference make it" and then they went to the current system.

These are the decisions we hockey fans have to put up on a regular basis :(

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Coyotesian parade of broke owners.

The subtitle to the book Only in the G-ddamn NHL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yes, but St. Louis turned out to be a pretty solid hockey town in spite of the circumstances and their Coyotesian parade of broke owners.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I can't decide whether my made-up word is pronounced "ky-OATZ-ian" or "kyo-TEE-zhen" :/

I thought it was pronounced sa-skach-uh-won

• Like 1

Yes yes, stop-reel-line-mint, but I wanted to type this out, walk through it mentally and I'm bored:

Northwest: Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton

Pacific: Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vegas

Southwest: Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville

Central: Chicago, Minnesota, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Northeast: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston

Metropolitan: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey, Philadelphia

Lake Erie: Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Buffalo

Southeast: Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina, Washington

Western Conference is easy enough to sort out, but not without its own smaller issues. I'm sure Nashville would lobby to stay with Chicago, but that's not life or death. That led to playing with an all-Canadian Northwest where Winnipeg goes to the Northwest, Seattle goes to the Pacific, Vegas goes to the Southwest, Nashville goes to the Central. I did like that layout for geography, but then you're splitting Seattle and Vancouver which seemed silly, as that's been a small selling point. But again, all easy enough.

The Eastern Conference gets trickier. This is the way that probably works best, but you get stuck with a sort of wonky "Lake Erie" Division. Geographically and culturally it makes sense, but you still have Washington split from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia split from Pittsburgh, Detroit split from Toronto. There's no way to get all those rivalries to work in the 8x4 model without getting some seriously screwy geography (not unlike what we're currently dealing with in the present Atlantic Division). But I think this works, you get Ohio-Michigan, you get Columbus-Pittsburgh, you get the Pens/Wings back to back Cups, you get... Buffalo.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Your Northwest+Pacific and Southwest+Central are probably going to be the way the divisions shake out if we keep four, with Arizona getting kicked to the Central and precious little regard for MUH TIME ZONES there. Your Northeast and Lake Erie could go together as one division, too, if we're gonna tell Pittsburgh they can't play with their friends anymore like we did for a few years in the '90s when they got kicked out to make room for the Panthers. However, look how easily you could flip them with Quebec City.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’d really love to see the NHL commit to a 4 division, no conferences alignment. Put Seattle in the Pacific, move Arizona to the Central. And then have the top four teams in each division make the playoffs and face off against their division for the first two rounds. Then when you get to the final four division winners, re-seed based on regular season record.

• Like 1

jNTsTyQ.png

On 10/4/2018 at 11:53 AM, Gary. said:

I would love to see Detroit back to the West. But I know geographically that won’t happen. And I’m on the “Ky-OATZ” bandwagon. 

If I had my way Detroit and Toronto would still be in the West. I know, "muh timezones", but I think they both had better rivalries over there anyways: Detroit had San Jose & especially Colorado, Toronto had St. Louis & arguably Los Angeles and they both had Chicago and obviously each other; and I think splitting the "Original Six" 3 per conference was a better setup than dumping 5 in the same conference anyways, and leaving Chicago on their own to feud with St. Louis and... Nashville, I guess?

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 2:33 PM, mcj882000 said:

If I had my way Detroit and Toronto would still be in the West. I know, "muh timezones", but I think they both had better rivalries over there anyways: Detroit had San Jose & especially Colorado, Toronto had St. Louis & arguably Los Angeles and they both had Chicago and obviously each other; and I think splitting the "Original Six" 3 per conference was a better setup than dumping 5 in the same conference anyways, and leaving Chicago on their own to feud with St. Louis and... Nashville, I guess?

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis, and Toronto would be my dream division. 

45 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis, and Toronto would be my dream division. 

+ Winnipeg, which is more at home with Chicago and the Twin Cities than points west.

• Like 1

I had a post in the NHL season changes thread about the Met Center seats and it led me down a '91 North Stars rabbit hole. Behold!

https://nathangabay.com/how-bobby-clarke-almost-drafted-himself-the-1991-expansion-draft/

Just when we seemed to run out of insulting material about the National Hockey League, it decided to hold an expansion draft.

High jinks ensued. The NHL computer spewed out a list of unprotected players that read like a Legends of Hockey team – Jean Beliveau, Yvan Cournoyer, John Ferguson, Bobby Clarke, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Bernie Federko, Brian Sutter . . .

What happened?

The NHL’s New York office called it a computer glitch, but the Montreal office said those players who never filed their retirement papers were actually eligible for the draft, even though many now are grandfathers.

Whatever the case, the list, circulated nationally by the wire services, gave hockey fans another hearty laugh at league expense.

This goofy development was simply more harmless fun provided by a league run by clowns.

Gordon, Jeff. “NHL Discovers Another Way To Get Laughs.” St. Louis Post-Dispatch: 30 May 1991. 1D. Print.

The NHL's Apple IIe crashed and put Jean Beliveau in the expansion draft, and so the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was doing an OITGDNHL thread in 1991. Time, like a hockey puck, really is a flat circle.

• Like 9