NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Gordon, Jeff. “NHL Discovers Another Way To Get Laughs.” St. Louis Post-Dispatch: 30 May 1991. 1D. Print.

huh, I didn't realise Jeff Gordon had a career in hockey journalism before getting into stock car racing :V

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 11:18 PM, Still MIGHTY said:
DpHaQrcW0AENj4J?format=jpg&name=large

Regular Season Western Conference Champion Nashville Predators.

You can even purchase your own Regular Season Western Conference Champions banner from the team store.

DpGWB-sX4AEmKSr.jpg

• Like 2

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

An arbitrator knocked Austin Watson's suspension down from 27 to 18, which puts left-leaning people in sort of a double-bind: domestic violence should be punished, but the league shouldn't have unilateral power to punish players if the collective bargaining agreement allows for the PA to appeal. 18 still seems too low (no hockey player would ever say that), but the union has to do union things or else what's the point.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think you're assuming there are a bunch of those kinds of lefty people watching hockey. Maybe if they sold scarves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Probably the right thing to do would have been to ask the arbitrator to knock two games off, now don't say we never had your back, in the future try not to get drunk and beat your wife.

Somehow the NHL did not schedule a single game yesterday, a Friday night. Were they superstitious about scheduling games on Friday the 13th? That's no excuse, it was the 12th.

34 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Somehow the NHL did not schedule a single game yesterday, a Friday night. Were they superstitious about scheduling games on Friday the 13th? That's no excuse, it was the 12th.

Local radio brought this up, and someone suggested it was to highlight the beginning of the college hockey season. Doesn't seem like something the NHL would do, but neither does having every single team inactive on a Friday night.

Lambert https://sports.yahoo.com/countdown-kane-matthews-make-hockey-fun-125016852.html

5. Attendance woes

Only like 8,800 people showed up for the Islanders’ opener in Brooklyn, but isn’t it so so so interesting that no one in Canada is saying like “We gotta move them to Quebec City yesterday!”

I know they have that new arena deal now but even before they did that was never talked about and I bet it has something to do with the Mason-Dixon line. Just a thought.

There were literally busloads of Nordiques fans at Islanders games who were saying that, but never let anything stop you from sucking up to nerds on Twitter who like the Hurricanes and Stars and think they're dril.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 8:40 PM, DG_Now said:

I think you're assuming there are a bunch of those kinds of lefty people watching hockey. Maybe if they sold scarves.

I have a Blue Jackets scarf that I love to sport, but I only wear it when it's cold because it's a scarf and who wants a hot wool thing on your neck when it's still in the 80's on opening night of the season? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6i299hdszdt11.jpg

The Hurricanes won a few games to start the season and all the Twitter nerds were like "oh my god, hockey is fun again," fun in hockey apparently being thwacking shots from anywhere like an intermission shoot-the-puck contest gone wrong. Tell Raleigh about the fun, though! They didn't seem to get the memo yet!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

6i299hdszdt11.jpg

The Hurricanes won a few games to start the season and all the Twitter nerds were like "oh my god, hockey is fun again," fun in hockey apparently being thwacking shots from anywhere like an intermission shoot-the-puck contest gone wrong. Tell Raleigh about the fun, though! They didn't seem to get the memo yet!

Putting your feet up on the seat in front of you is fun.

• Like 3

Former Islanders owner Charles Wang died. What I'll remember most about him aside from trying to get a new arena in Nassau and failing is that he once did an interview on MSG, and while I expected him to sound like an elderly Chinese immigrant, he actually sounded like Woody Allen, and it was really funny. Anyway, uh, it's sad that he died and not the guy who pretended to live in a model home.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:20 PM, the admiral said:

...and not the guy who pretended to live in a model home.

Well, the up side is that it'll get him too, eventually.

The irony of Spano is that, despite the embarassment, he actually managed to secure the Islanders' ability to weather the lean attendance of the next decade. OITGDNHL could one of the most embarassing guys in the league's history actually be a halfway decent owner.

• Like 4

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Goal in Rangers-Blackhawks gets washed out but is then reviewed. Turns out that the puck went in the net but after the play was intended to be whistled dead. Fine, whatever. Two minutes later after they finish reviewing, the referee goes to center ice and declares that there's no goal and this is not a reviewable play. You could have told me sooner.

EDIT: unrelated, I always knew Dan O'Sullivan was one of my favorite contemporary writers, but this