NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

6 minutes ago, Wings said:

Funny thing is, the Coyotes will most likely still be in Arizona in 2020 or 2021. OITHGDNHL. 

Knowing the GDNHL they'll save face with the Sun Belt by moving them to Houston but leaving Quebec to flap in the wind.

• Like 3

VmWIn6B.png

Coyotes moving to Houston would set up a better realignment into 4 divisions:

Calgary 

Edmonton

Seattle

Vancouver

Anaheim 

Los Angeles

San Jose

Vegas

Chicago

Colorado

Minnesota

Winnipeg

Dallas

Houston

Nashville 

St. Louis

You can't separate Chicago from St. Louis. Stick with eight-team divisions.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Your super/major market thing means mostly nothing in the NHL. See Winnipeg's success last season and prospective success this season. See both the Rangers and Islanders probably missing the playoffs. See Chicago's last place finish last season. See Toronto's years of struggles. See Montreal's current struggle. Columbus has finally rounded into form thanks to competent management. "Your" Hurricanes have faltered because of bad management. That's what succeeds in the NHL. Good vs. Bad Management. The other stuff doesn't matter as much as it does in other sports.

Yes and no. It's not market size but rather market profile that gives outside-the-cap advantages to certain teams, whether that's income tax advantages or accommodating the delicate...shall we say "artistic temperaments" of Canadian hockey players. Chicago and Toronto are bigger than Dallas, and New York is bigger than all of them, but it's Dallas that's livin' life on easy mode. Then there's Tampa Bay, where the players practically pay the team to play there instead of the other way around. Winnipeg has been successful in recent years, but they've had to do it the hard way by virtually limiting their roster construction to Americans and Europeans who are cost-controlled and whose response to "how would you like to live in a terrible city of 800,000 where nothing ever happens and everyone cares dearly about your job" is not to run screaming from the room like their hair is on fire but "caring? about me? that sounds kinda cool."

The funny thing is that Carolina should have every sizable advantage that Dallas, Tampa, and Nashville have, but they've mostly pissed down their legs because they've been owned by a miserly weirdo who built a bathroom shrine to Cam Ward and then a predatory lender who's trying to disrupt hockey by figuring out a way not to buy sticks.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

God damn it, all my post did was remind myself that the Blackhawks' #1 goalie is Cam Ward. Why did people try to ban me from this board when I've already been banned from a happy life?

• Like 2

The league should do what the NBA had done. If you win your division, you're guaranteed home ice in the first round(top 4 seed), but if there is a non division winner with more points, then they have a higher seed. Like Winnipeg would've been the 2 seed in the West, and division winner Vegas would be #3 last year.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

1 hour ago, ninersdd said:

The league should do what the NBA had done. If you win your division, you're guaranteed home ice in the first round(top 4 seed), but if there is a non division winner with more points, then they have a higher seed. Like Winnipeg would've been the 2 seed in the West, and division winner Vegas would be #3 last year.

NBA has gotten rid of that, it's top 8 regardless of record. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Yes, the Blues have been a division rival for almost 40 years with some very ugly playoff series along the way, and if you separate them from the Blackhawks, then they've lost the Maple Leafs, North Stars, Red Wings, and Blues from the classic Norris Division, which is to say all of them. The Predators have become a nice little anal cyst, but beating Detroit and Toronto still feels the most important to me, with St. Louis third.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

I'm saying do it any way you want; just make it so that any team is only competing over the course of the regular season with 3 other teams for a playoff spot, rather than in a division with 7 others in a format where the deck is stacked against certain markets.

My case against what they do now is best exemplified by the Metropolitan Division.  Of that division's eight teams, five are in not major markets, but super markets (as opposed to supermarkets) which, while they can't offer players too much in direct compensation thanks to a salary cap, can offer them options to seek millions in other ways (endorsements, etc.)  The sixth (Pittsburgh) has developed a winning tradition that is attractive to players along with the ability to be a big fish in a small pond, which can be equally attractive to players.  By contrast, Columbus and Raleigh, each of which are great cities in their own right, stand no chance of developing into consistent playoff participants.  Those markets' fans have zero incentive to see games unless their teams for some reason get hot and contend for one of the two coveted 'wild card' slots, because three of those other six teams in their division are guaranteed to have locked up those the division is guaranteed.

So when Seattle's added?  Keep the Metropolitan Division.  Put the three New York area teams in there along with, say, a Boston.  Go to an 8 division format of 4 teams each.  Each division champ is guaranteed a playoff spot.  From there?  I don't care.  If you want to make it so the top two in a division qualify to make your field of 16?  Fine.  If you want to allow all four teams from the same division to qualify?  Fine.  I just think the 4 division alignment and playoff format was a bad idea from the beginning, and I'd really like to see it end.  If expansion to Seattle gets it done?  I say, welcome, Seattle!

I really do think it's an interesting idea, but I don't see how it's do-able at all. If you have small divisions, what happens when you have NY, NY, Boston, and... Hartford? Just properly assessing the teams' status would be impossible, and doing anything about it would be more so. 

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The NHL's playoff format is inscrutable to me and I'm not willing to learn.

Of the four "major" American sports, the NBA does it the cleanest. Top eight in each conference. Done.

The NHL's isn't all that different from baseball and football. The leading teams are guaranteed spots by position in the standings, and the middling teams fight for wild card spots that are awarded by points/wins. Wild card spots are shared between divisions, but not across conferences/leagues. I would prefer 1-8, but this system isn't too bad.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a single team has missed the playoffs in the five years of this current format that would have made the playoffs under a straight 1-8. The right teams get in, but sometimes the matchups are less than ideal; it's fine.

The stupid thing about the wild cards is that it's a vestige of a realignment plan that kept the Red Wings in the Central at 15/15 but reduced out-of-division play to two games apiece, so you needed that equalizer to account for one division of the conference having seven teams and the other having eight. It doesn't serve a purpose under this alignment except to make things more complicated than they need to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

"Your" Hurricanes have faltered because of bad management. That's what succeeds in the NHL. Good vs. Bad Management. The other stuff doesn't matter as much as it does in other sports.

"My Hurricanes?"  I grew up a Penguins fan.  I've not gone to a game in years, and I've paid to attend precisely one in the 20+ years they've been here.  I'd trade the Carolina Hurricanes for the Oakland A's, or a rebranded Tampa Bay Devil Rays, in a heartbeat and never shed a single tear over it.

8 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Yes. The NHL format is needlessly complicated. That's a great way to describe it.

Go to eight divisions of four teams each, with the division champs guaranteed a playoff berth.  Make the next eight, regardless of division, qualify - even if it blows out the Eastern/Western Conference concepts.  Or give a playoff berth to the top two in every division.  Or break it out by conference so there are four division champs and four wild card qualifiers.  Or hell, go to a 24-team playoff in which the 8 division champions get a bye and the other 16 teams play a single game, "one and done" qualifier to advance against them. 

If you want Seattle in the same division as Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary?  Fine.  If you want one with Las Vegas, Arizona, Anaheim an Los Angeles?  Fine.  If you want one with Boston, the Islanders, the Rangers and New Jersey?  Fine.  If you want one with Florida, Houston, Winnipeg and Montreal together?  Fine.  Whatever.  Do any format you like provided you have 8 divisions of 4 teams, and those division champs are guaranteed playoff berths.

nav-logo.png

7 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Put the three New York area teams in there along with, say, a Boston. 

Maybe if the team stayed in Hartford it would make more sense for them to be the same division as teams from NY/PHI/WAS/PIT <_<

8 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Go to eight divisions of four teams each, with the division champs guaranteed a playoff berth.  Make the next eight, regardless of division, qualify - even if it blows out the Eastern/Western Conference concepts.  Or give a playoff berth to the top two in every division.  Or break it out by conference so there are four division champs and four wild card qualifiers.  Or hell, go to a 24-team playoff in which the 8 division champions get a bye and the other 16 teams play a single game, "one and done" qualifier to advance against them.

My comment was the NHL playoffs were needlessly complicated and then this.

Top 8 teams from each conference seeded 1-8. Done. Easy. Plz give me $1,000,000 because I just made your postseason more watchable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yes, the Blues have been a division rival for almost 40 years with some very ugly playoff series along the way, and if you separate them from the Blackhawks, then they've lost the Maple Leafs, North Stars, Red Wings, and Blues from the classic Norris Division, which is to say all of them. The Predators have become a nice little anal cyst, but beating Detroit and Toronto still feels the most important to me, with St. Louis third.

I blame Jeremy Jacobs and his butt puppet Gary Bettman for all the evils done to the NHL. If Bill Wirtz were still alive my grandpa would kill him. Seriously. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Don’t the Blues only exist because the Wirtz family wanted to unload the aged St. Louis Arena on some schmucks?

Yes, but St. Louis turned out to be a pretty solid hockey town in spite of the circumstances and their Coyotesian parade of broke owners.

• Like 3