New Penn State Academic Logo

JayMac

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the cougar is counfused.

Looks like an insurance company now, at least to my eyes. The font and the shield shape probably do that.

YtzLPfU.png

Man,PennState should had been an insurance company because of that.

Also,you ripped off Allstate's motto.

That's the joke, bud!

Anyway, I think the thing that's bugging me is that the lion doesn't have pupils.

Yea,it looks scary as :censored: .

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

Refined the text so that the wordmark matches the lettering on the Pollock Gates.

(Image deleted)

I love this redesign, BroadSt. This would've been a perfect modernization of the previous logo. I love the font on the Pollock gates, and they'd be prefect for a modernization while still feeling classic.

I'm really not liking whoever is in charge of creative for the University. First the stupid "Penn State Lives Here" campaign, now the bad academic logo. Hopefully whoever does creative for academics doesn't get involved with sports branding.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

500x162xScreen-Shot-2015-08-04-at-1.56.4

Just a few things... I really like that it is inspired by the statue on campus. However, I think the blue should have been closer to the navy shade to match their athletics - I hate when school colors and athletic colors don't match. The light blue shade should be changed to either gray or black, as gray/black are kind of the unofficial 3rd color for Penn State.

The font seems pretty uninspired. It looks too much like an insurance or bank logo. My other pet peeve is when corporate branding/logos use lower case letters (FedEx, McDonald's... those are different. But organizations that are supposed to be regal, sophisticated, upper class, etc... I hate lower case letters). I would have much rather seen "small capitals" for the entire logo/wordmark.

I also would have liked to see the lion head in a keystone shape. Yes, it may be cliche but I think it would have tied the logo to Pennsylvania better. After all... it is the State school.

I finally figured out what this reminds me of.

2572.png

It's like the logo they unveiled in the early 2000's that they tried hard to push. This will probably last just as long.

I still think that's a lot better than this:

1k9prruij590izix314f.gif

The "classic" Penn State logo with the swooshes and that chunky font looks like the logo of a credit union from the 1970s.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived